Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest Regret in Life?

Cdowwe

I didn't buy a house in Florida that would have costed me 140K, I pulled out of the contract because I was freaked and I lost a 1k deposit.

Yeah...when I first moved to FL in 1998 for my undergrad I didn't buy down there. If I had, I could have sold it for 4 to 5 times the original price when I left in 2004...:doh: :doh: :doh:

Good thing I rented all those years and made OTHER people rich...:doh:

In fact, my best advice to you youngsters is to buy property as soon as possible. There is no better investment than real-estate...

Don't want to put a damper on the partying, but a, stay away from all that exotic crap, or one day you'll be wondering "where did my life go", and why "the world has passed me by", like I did. alcohol is bad enough.

Thanks for the advice. I kinda found that out for myself. Hence why it's my biggest regret thusfar.

And alcohol isn't only bad enough, I think it's a whole hell of alot worse than mostly anything, save maybe coke or heroin.

I asked this same question (regrets) of dozens of senior citezens, and they all said the same thing. They really didn't regret anything they did, it was the things they never did, chances they could've taken, places they could've gone....

:applause:

Thanks for the advice. I kinda found that out for myself. Hence why it's my biggest regret thusfar.

And alcohol isn't only bad enough, I think it's a whole hell of alot worse than mostly anything, save maybe coke or heroin.

This leads into the quote by Bill Hicks that somebody here has as their sig (sorry can't remember who off the top of my head). He says people try to convince him alcohol is socially acceptable and therefore better, his response "Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucanigetic (sp?) drugs, i can see through you."

:laugh: You talk about it like it was years ago, but it was two weekends ago! :laugh:

Sorry...its good you're not going to do it anymore...I just find it funny that it was so recent! :)

chopper dave: "Two weekends ago I did acid, ecstacy, and ketamine at the same time. Worst thing I've ever done."

you have to be joking right?

I mean everyday you post how evil the President is. I would think it would be a bit hypocritical for a drug addict to be lecturing the rest of us on anyone else's character-

which is why I have to believe you are just kidding with us..

Precisely the reason why people should not participate in these threads.

This is a message board, these people are NOT your friends.

:laugh: You talk about it like it was years ago, but it was two weekends ago! :laugh:

Sorry...its good you're not going to do it anymore...I just find it funny that it was so recent! :)

I understand what you're saying. Honestly though, that night warped my mind so much that it feels like years ago.

Hacks will do anything to further their political agenda, regardless of whether or not it's the appropriate place or time. You just have to shake your head and carry on.

you're welcome. I had dinner with my son & his gf last night, he' a freshman

over at UCF. You guys really have it made going to a big U with 25-30K girls, and all the opportunities associated with.... It's something that I cheated myself out of, and consequently had to make it the hard against the odds. It's much tougher now with the disparity between moderate income vs. the cost of housing etc.....enjoy yourself and be cool.

Same here. Her name was Kristi and there was a chain of life-altering events because of her. I often wonder how different my life would be now if I would have just stayed away from her.

I figured there'd be a couple of us like this. I'm in the same boat. I know for a fact things would be different if a) we never hooked up, and B) she didn't turn into a crazy woman.

But hey, live & learn.......

True, but it was ultra slimy for AFC to come into a "bear all" thread and criticize, noone did that to him in his "too old to date" thread :doh:

but there's always a next time :evil:

you're welcome. I had dinner with my son & his gf last night, he' a freshman

over at UCF. You guys really have it made going to a big U with 25-30K girls, and all the opportunities associated with.... It's something that I cheated myself out of, and consequently had to make it the hard against the odds. It's much tougher now with the disparity between moderate income vs. the cost of housing etc.....enjoy yourself and be cool.

Totally. Thanks man. UCF's a great school, BTW. Most of my friends from high school go there.

It seems most people have a regret with the opposite sex. Starting smoking is up there for me. Seeing that Im still young, Im trying to fix some regrets I have now. But keep em coming, this way I can not make the same mistake as you old timers. :D

In fact, my best advice to you youngsters is to buy property as soon as possible. There is no better investment than real-estate...

I'm not one who obsesses about houses gaining value, and buying and selling, and appreciation, mortgare rates and all that crap...but that is one thing I would tell anyone younger then me...buy a place, and buy it as soon as possible. You will never regret it. I waited till I was 28, and let me tell you that is way tooooo long. I could have a bought a condo in arlington when I graduated

It seems there is no point in having regrets...

What happened up until this point happened for a reason, and that reason was to get to this point. Even seemingly bad things that happened to us shaped the way we are. We are what we are because of what happened to us.

We usually regred "bad" things - but how valid are our judgements of good and bad? We label things as bad because we assume that we know where everything fits in the grand scheme of things. We know nothing about that.

Regretting things can also be a way to avoid taking responsibility for them (the opposite of that would be accepting them, learning, moving on).

Regretting things you could have done only makes sense if you are on your deathbed. If you are not on your deathbed then stop regretting and go and start doing them.

It seems there is no point in having regrets...

What happened up until this point happened for a reason, and that reason was to get to this point. Even seemingly bad things that happened to us shaped the way we are. We are what we are because of what happened to us.

We usually regred "bad" things - but how valid are our judgements of good and bad? We label things as bad because we assume that we know where everything fits in the grand scheme of things. We know nothing about that.

Regretting things can also be a way to avoid taking responsibility for them (the opposite of that would be accepting them, learning, moving on).

Regretting things you could have done only makes sense if you are on your deathbed. If you are not on your deathbed then stop regretting and go and start doing them.

Very good answer young man.

I regret nothing.

Not going to college right after high school.

I got excepted into Maryland, but since my father was going to pay for it, I would still be "under his thumb" and I didn't want to live like that anymore.

So, I got a job and moved out of my parent's house at 18.

5 years later, I got married and was working towards buying our "own" house, so I kept right on working 2, sometimes 3 jobs for years.

I have had opportunities to go to college at night, but just never did it because I was working all the time.

I have done pretty good for myself over the years, but if I had gone to college, I would be much better off now.

Word of advice to everyone in high school.

If you can by any means possible, GO TO COLLEGE.

This one is a mixed bag, but I think about it a lot.

About 15 years ago I passed the foreign service examination and was offered a commission. After much thinking, I turned it down and stayed in law. Part of this was because my fiancee (now wife) didn't want to give up her career and follow me around the world (she is also an attorney). So I took the safe route, but I always wonder what it would have been like to be an FSO.

Archived