Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Adam Schefter: Saunders, a kept promise to Gregg Williams

bubba9497

OK. Let me get this straight.

It is alleged that in order to keep Williams, Snyder had to make a promise to not only pay him a lot of money, but to also get the best OC.

OK. If true, these are my conclusions.

1) The Al Saunders deal was already in the bag before Williams signed.

2) After 11 years away from the NFL, Gibbs remained part of a very powerful coaching network.

3) Snyder plays a lot of chess.

Bringing on Saunders to me shows that Gibbs is going to be leading like he did with Nascar. He is going to managing the egos, but letting them lead the way in their craft. Yes our offense was ranked 11th but we did nothing in the playoffs, we can blame it on the OL, or the QB, or the lack at WR's but it looks like Gibbs is blaming himself, and is doing something about it.

What is scary about the KC offense is they never needed a stud at WR for their passing game, now that Saunders has Moss and sure we will add someone else this adds another advantage to his O.

The future is bright, very bright.

The other thing I love about this decision is Joe is going to put who the QB is in someone elses control, yes Joe will still have say since he is the HC but will listen to Saunders a lot on it. Should be interesting what happens with Ramsey and Campbell now.

This move confuses me in that if all Joe needed was to pick his mind, he could have done that by watching tapes of the games Saunders has called.

To a certain degree, yes, Gibbs could borrow from Saunders. But you can't borrow someone's creativity or mindset. Saunders has much more of an agressive, quick-hitting, timing-pass mindset ... a Mike Martz with more common sense and more desire to run the ball. Given that Gibbs and Saunders both came from the Coryell family tree, Saunders' style can be adopted much more quickly than, say, the WCO.

I agree that Gibbs is trying to right the ship for the long haul. HTTR.

The fact that the top 3 offensive coaches (Breaux, Bugel, and Burns) were all out of the NFL and were brought back by Gibbs probably was an area of concern for Gregg Williams. If he is in fact the successor to Gibbs what happens to the offense when Gibbs leaves? When Gibbs leaves does that mean the top 4 offensive minds on this team are gone (Gibbs, and the Killer B's)? What Williams needed was some assurance that he won't be left in the lurch by the offensive staff and probably didn't trust that Musgrave is the right guy because he was brought on to coach the QBs and was actually fired from his Coordinator post at Jacksonville. Also, perhaps Musgrave doesn't run the kind of offense that Williams would want to continue with when Gibbs is gone. So he said, sure I'll stay to succeed Gibbs, but I want one of the best O.C.'s in the league to come in here and run the offense. I guess Gibbs and Snyder decided the sooner the better because Saunders may not be available in future years. Get him locked up now while one of the premier minds is available.

Just remember this so-called "promise" may not have referred to this coming season but to when Williams is eventually the successor. But since Saunders was available NOW, Gibbs had to jump at the chance to get his successor to the "offensive throne."

Best thing is the continuity this will put in place once Gibbs leaves. Williams has the defensive staff set up already with Blache being the D. C. And now the offensive side will be setup for Gibbs' departure...

So many conclusions, so little facts. This is definately making for a most entertaining offseason.

(\conclusion) I can't imagine Williams gave any kind of ultimatum. This to me, seems more likely and attempt by Gibbs to get to the Superbowl sooner than later. He has 3 years left on his contract. Maybe he viewed this as a chance to leap forward quicker, and maybe get to the big game a couple of more times. Aslo, as a natural leader, he probably sees the opportunity to step into the front office with a team on the field capable of winning championships. The more plausible thing that happened with Williams is this move was already on and Gibbs used this as one more reason to convince Williams to stay on. Personally, I think Gibbs steps into the front office after next seasons SuperBowl win :) and leads a juggernaut for years to come. (\endconclusion)

my guess is the Redskins' promise to Williams was that the team was going to do its best to 'improve the offense' in the offseason and ensure that his defense had more points to work with in trying to win games :)

that in turn was translated as a 'demand' by Williams for a new OC :laugh:

face it. the national media knows squat about the Redskins.

each week we read in the press articles about the Skins where they spell players names wrong or get their positions on the team incorrect. One article I remember talked about Derrick Dockery's play at TACKLE???

my guess is the Redskins' promise to Williams was that the team was going to do its best to 'improve the offense' in the offseason and ensure that his defense had more points to work with in trying to win games :)

that in turn was translated as a 'demand' by Williams for a new OC :laugh:

face it. the national media knows squat about the Redskins.

each week we read in the press articles about the Skins where they spell players names wrong or get their positions on the team incorrect. One article I remember talked about Derrick Dockery's play at TACKLE???

Exactly.

Just wondering Adam... if you KNEW that the Redskins had "promised" Williams a new offensive coordinator.... why didn't you report it earlier? Where were your "inside" sources telling you that the rumor mill has Gibbs contacting Saunders about the position... or Saunders coming to Washington.

The fact is... Schefter didn't know about it. No one in the media did. So how did he get this inside scoop all of a sudden?

Exactly.

Just wondering Adam... if you KNEW that the Redskins had "promised" Williams a new offensive coordinator.... why didn't you report it earlier? Where were your "inside" sources telling you that the rumor mill has Gibbs contacting Saunders about the position... or Saunders coming to Washington.

The fact is... Schefter didn't know about it. No one in the media did. So how did he get this inside scoop all of a sudden?

You can also wonder why make it up if it isn't true, has he in the past wrote articles good or bad about the skins and does he have history like Pasta.

I think there is truth to what he says, what extent we will never know.

Gibbs knew if the offense was better this year we would still be playing, and realizes how close this team could be.

You can also wonder why make it up if it isn't true, has he in the past wrote articles good or bad about the skins and does he have history like Pasta.

I think there is truth to what he says, what extent we will never know.

Gibbs knew if the offense was better this year we would still be playing, and realizes how close this team could be.

Um, Schefter also said Bill Parcells was rumored to be going to the Lions.

Get real.

Um, Schefter also said Bill Parcells was rumored to be going to the Lions.

Get real.

Ok here is real (he wasn't the only saying that :doh: ) :

By Pete Prisco

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Insider | Notes

It's assumed that the only job Bill Parcells is considering right now is with the Dallas Cowboys.

Bill Parcells apparently has a growing list of options. (AP)

That might not be true. Word making the rounds through league circles this week is that Parcells is also considering both Detroit and Jacksonville if -- probably more like when -- those jobs come open.

The status of Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin will likely be evaluated Monday following the team's last game against the Colts, but it appears he's done. Jaguars coach Wayne Weaver has already done some preliminary work getting names lined up in case he does make a change. Weaver is big on due diligence.

Former New Orleans general manager Randy Mueller is one person Weaver has reached out to as a potential GM. But with Parcells making it known he would like to coach again, he will certainly be a candidate in Jacksonville if the Dallas situation doesn't come to fruition. He's certainly a sexy choice (not looking, mind you).

I've had most of the thoughts in this thread run through my mind, and there's plenty to be said.

One quick comment, Gibbs has consistently been quite clear about his five-year contract, how he settled on it in the first place, and how he intends to complete it. In that course, and after this years improvements, I don't see him just becoming real passive on his involvement with the offense in just his third year. I do see him being Gibbs, and allowing his new guy do the all work he's capable of doing well. While I am as curious as anybody to see the details of how it actually plays out, my expectation is it will continue on course as a total team effort both integrated yet autonomous under one very involved and guiding hand.

Ok here is real (he wasn't the only saying that :doh: ) :

By Pete Prisco

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Insider | Notes

It's assumed that the only job Bill Parcells is considering right now is with the Dallas Cowboys.

Bill Parcells apparently has a growing list of options. (AP)

That might not be true. Word making the rounds through league circles this week is that Parcells is also considering both Detroit and Jacksonville if -- probably more like when -- those jobs come open.

The status of Jaguars coach Tom Coughlin will likely be evaluated Monday following the team's last game against the Colts, but it appears he's done. Jaguars coach Wayne Weaver has already done some preliminary work getting names lined up in case he does make a change. Weaver is big on due diligence.

Former New Orleans general manager Randy Mueller is one person Weaver has reached out to as a potential GM. But with Parcells making it known he would like to coach again, he will certainly be a candidate in Jacksonville if the Dallas situation doesn't come to fruition. He's certainly a sexy choice (not looking, mind you).

Why are you druding up an article about Parcells and the Lions from 4 years ago.

I'm talking about Schefter saying this a few weeks ago before Parcells signed a contract extension with the Cowboys.

Gibbs has always been nearly ego-less when it comes in making decisions on how to improve his teams. How many coaches would spend most of a career dissing the use of the shotgun formation, then implement it, even though its use might imply you were wrong previously?

How many coaches would bring in a defensive coordinator like Gregg Williams who's got a stronger personality and almost equal credibility.

There may be a larger meaning to this hire than is obvious right now, I don't know. But I think first and foremost, it makes us a better football team next year - and thats why Gibbs did it.

I seriously doubt Gibbs is susceptible to pressure to hire anyone he doesn't feel 100% right about. Its just not who he is.

Why are you druding up an article about Parcells and the Lions from 4 years ago.

I'm talking about Schefter saying this a few weeks ago before Parcells signed a contract extension with the Cowboys.

My bad you were not specific :)

Everyone in Detroit has known that Ford has had a hardon for Parcells for the longest time, and would have paid him more then what he is getting now, a lot more.

As for this article, in time will we know if it is true or not.

What I love about the Saunders hire is now he is going to have an oppinion on Mark and who he wants running is O

The article probably just used the wrong word in "promise". They told Greg they we're going to get the best OC available. There's no promise there, just a fact stated to Williams. It could be perfectly cool with Greg - maybe he wants the best OC available so he doesn't have to work harder on the O for if/when he takes over??

Greg didn't have huge success the first go-round in Buffalo and it's likely they he wants the team ready for greater success with great personel around him.

I kind of agree with this.

Who's to say that Gibbs didn't make this known to Williams to try and sweeten the deal. It's not as if Williams held them hostage by demanding an OC. Not likely at least. The guy could have gone to be KC's coach and resigned Saunders if he wanted.

To me that sounds like Williams is saying to Gibbs "you aren't cutting it, find someone who can or I'm out of here"

No, I seriously doubt that's the case.

If any of it is true, it was a promise to Williams to have an offense in place WHEN he takes over several years from now.

You hafta keep in mind that when Gibbs retires, ALL the top offensive coaches (Breaux, Burns, Bugel) are going to retire with him.

That means that when Williams takes over, he'll hafta start from scratch on offense again.

The promise (or guarantee) Gibbs probably made to Williams was that he would bring a great offensive mind here to assemble things now so that when Williams does take over, they'll already be a well-oiled offensive machine in place. He won't hafta re-bulid it when "the ol' gang" of offensive coaches retire with Gibbs.

I very seriously doubt Williams made any sort of ultimatums. Gibbs wouldn't tolerate being treated like that.

Williams probaly DID, though, ask for assurances that the offense is being taken care of NOW for the future.

By hiring Saunders, Gibbs has done that. :)

The article probably just used the wrong word in "promise". They told Greg they we're going to get the best OC available. There's no promise there, just a fact stated to Williams. It could be perfectly cool with Greg - maybe he wants the best OC available so he doesn't have to work harder on the O for if/when he takes over??

Greg didn't have huge success the first go-round in Buffalo and it's likely they he wants the team ready for greater success with great personel around him.

I think this is on the money...that was probably one of the tools they used to get Williams to sign; the fact that they were going to hire the best OC available. Not that they would hire him to appease GW.

:2cents:

Archived