Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Confronting Len Pasquarelli in the press box. PRICELESS!!!!

Art

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this, but actually, I am.

Here's the thing: I actually think more sports columnists are like Sally Jenkins than Pasquarelli. Sally, as you all know, wrote a column recently where she gave Brunell and the team their rightful due, and acknowledged that she hadn't believed they could get this far. We all read that email exchange with Sally that was posted here: it was clear that, while she dislikes Snyder and personalities in the FO, she doesn't hate the Redskins, she doesn't dislike Gibbs or the players, and she bears no ill will toward the fans.

In other words: her negativism, from her perspective, is just her being up front about the truth about an organization that, in the past 14 seasons, has 12 years of mediocrity (and worse) with basically two years of success (thus far, 1 playoff win in each).

I can respect that. I think we all should. We can disagree with her - we can point out, as Bram Weinstein and others have, that Snyder and Cerrato are in large part responsible for the pieces that built this team... that it's the maligned FO and not just Joe Gibbs that decided to bring in Washington, Moss, Springs, Daniels, Rabach, Griffin, and draft Cooley, Rogers, and Taylor (I still count only one miss - Barrow, and that's thanks to injury), to let guys like Smoot go and pay guys like Gregg Williams to stay around... but we point it out as a matter of open debate, not anger.

Pasquarelli, after this confrontation, is clearly a guy who operates under no delusions of neutrality. He's angry. He's bitter. And he has no intention of giving this team, this coach, or anyone in Washington credit where credit is due.

That makes him something - but a responsible columnist/journalist isn't it.

BD

Maybe Art & Die Hard had a "positive" effect on Lenny.

his new article on ESPN.com, ( http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2284184 ) is by far the best recap of the game of any national news outlets, and was even positive... with little or no usual pot shots taken.

Trust me I am one of Lenny's biggest foes... but I have to give him credit when it's due.

Here's the thing: I actually think more sports columnists are like Sally Jenkins than Pasquarelli. Sally, as you all know, wrote a column recently where she gave Brunell and the team their rightful due, and acknowledged that she hadn't believed they could get this far. We all read that email exchange with Sally that was posted here: it was clear that, while she dislikes Snyder and personalities in the FO, she doesn't hate the Redskins, she doesn't dislike Gibbs or the players, and she bears no ill will toward the fans.

In other words: her negativism, from her perspective, is just her being up front about the truth about an organization that, in the past 14 seasons, has 12 years of mediocrity (and worse) with basically two years of success (thus far, 1 playoff win in each).

I agree with the basic points you made about Len, but these points about Sally aren't necessarily true. I think it's far more likely her editors gave her some guidance on what to write. That one article wasn't a lone article full of negativity about the Redskins. It was also fairly extreme in the amount of unfairness to the fans. It also, contrary to her statements, made pot shots at least one player to the best of my memory (and I believe I've read other things in the past that did the same).

My point is that I do agree I respect Sally more than Lenny if only because Sally is smart enough to mask her dislike and try to pretend it doesn't exist when confronted by someone who calls her on it, thereby trying to maintain a supposedly objective viewpoint. Apparently Len either isn't able to control himself or just wasn't smart enough to react well to Art, and lost his ability to even attempt to portray a facade of objectivity. Sad and pathetic from a "journalist."

Well done Art, but I hope there are no negative ramifications for the Redskins.

As an aside, I could care less about the HOF. For far too long it has been exposed as a farce, so I have no respect for it; it doesn't serve any real purpose to me with its dubious induction process.

Maybe Art & Die Hard had a "positive" effect on Lenny.

his new article on ESPN.com, ( http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2284184 ) is by far the best recap of the game of any national news outlets, and was even positive... with little or no usual pot shots taken.

Trust me I am one of Lenny's biggest foes... but I have to give him credit when it's due.

Until today I don't think I had seen him so much as mention anything positive about the Redskins at all. Whenever Lavar screwed up or ST had problems though and he was all over it and the first to spew some trash about it.

"Without us, its nothing but a lot of grunting and sweating." :(

Tarhog are you telling me that I like to watch guys grunt and sweat? Thats not really true is it?:silly: Seriously, well said.

Also:

:applause: Thanks guys for every post! Sorry I called you names earlier in the year for banning people:doh: TK, Tarhog, Art...etc...you are truly great fans and obviously Art got to Lenny. Without you guys I wouldn't be up this late still savoring the victory.:point2sky

THANKS

HTTR

Archived