Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wash Times Clarrifies LA Story

JimmiJo

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20051229-124631-5416r.htm

Gibbs: Focus on Philly

Out-takes from the above:

"I'm worried about Philadelphia, and that's the bottom line," Arrington said. "All this other stuff, people have your opinions, and I think it was obvious that opinion came through in that article. Those are my quotes, but it's the tone of the story that comes from the writer himself.

"I think it's horrible timing for a writer to write something like that, but it happens. It's not going to be a distraction. It's not causing any friction."

"It was taken out of context. I said I want to be a Redskin forever."

Arrington said, in an interview with The Times conducted Monday at his house in Annapolis, that he doesn't expect to be with the team next season and that he might retire if that is the case.

Arrington also said Monday a long dispute over his contract damaged his relationship with the team's management and kept him off the field.

Lavar is a fool. It'll get resolved after the season.

It will be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets this Sunday. I think his showing the blitz too early and then jumping off sides last week will be more of a reason to keep him out than his selfish ramblings to reporters though.

Go Skins! Crush the Eagles!

Sorry Lavar, I failed to also note that the local papers are rags. Last week a pure speculation article about Williams leaving right after a huge win over Dallas and now this. Just pure garbage. Buy those papers or click the links if you want, but personally I have no interest in them whatsoever.

What this team has done this year has been tremendous. I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest. I have no interest at all in reading that garbage. It's more fun right now to watch the national media turn their opinions around. These DC guys just really don't understand. Sad.

I'd buy the "taken out of context" line if it wasn't ALWAYS Arrington's words that are being "taken out of context". :doh:

How come none of the other players on this team seem to have this problem in thier interviews?

Even if the writer of this article had an agenda to twist this into a negative article, he didn't haft to do much twisting with some of the childish, selfish quotes Arrington gave him.

This has been Arrington's M.O. since Gibbs' return. Arrington wants to be the center of attention, but it's Gibbs who the focus is on.

Not by Gibbs design. Joe Gibbs is a humble man. But he is a legend in Washington. So naturally he is the center of the Redskin universe.

Arrington can't stand not being that. He can't just simply be one of the players, one member of the team. He has to be above the team. He has to be 'Mr. Redskin'. :rolleyes:

This is where these tirades come from. Don't think for a minute that Arrington isn't happy. ALL the attention is back on him right now. So he is as happy as a clam.

It's funny. Arrington is the first one complaining about not being in the playoffs since being in the league, yet when we are now on the verge of making the playoffs (and just possibly winning the division) he is the first one to try and submarine it with a "poor-me" interview.

Having said that, this interview with Arrington WON'T be a distraction. I think the coahes, the fans, and the rest of the players are used to Arrington's "routine" by now. It probably would've been more of a distraction if Arrington hadn't given his quarterly tirade. The players may have thought something was wrong. :)

Lavar is a fool. It'll get resolved after the season.

It will be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets this Sunday. I think his showing the blitz too early and then jumping off sides last week will be more of a reason to keep him out than his selfish ramblings to reporters though.

Go Skins! Crush the Eagles!

I don't think he was offsides.. He went when the play clock was 0. So if he was off sides it shouldn't of mattered because the Giants should of had a delay of game..

Anyway I agree with you.. Lavar is being a dumb ass

Does anyone else notice that in the above, everything positive is a direct quote and that everything negative is not? Is there any chance that is a coincidence? I don't think so.

Yup. It's also funny how the new article spends about 2 lines talking about how Lavar was taken out of context, and then the next several paragraphs are just repeating the negative stuff from the first article. :doh:

Wait a minute. There's a serious disconnect here.

Man invites a reporter to his home 6 days before his team plays the biggest game of the year, and says:

"Obviously, using me sparingly or not at all is a very clear message," Arrington said. "I'm not wanted here. I believe in my heart that the Redskins faithful love me as Ravens fans love Ray Lewis or Packers fans love Brett Favre. Some individuals hate it that there are more of my jerseys in the stands than anyone else's."

Arrington missed most of last season because of a knee injury and did not play much early this season. Arrington also said Monday he noticed a difference in the way he was treated by the team.

"It's crazy and unfair that something I had very little to do with derailed my relationship with management," Arrington said. "You see they're not marketing you anymore. You see people interacting with other people the way they used to interact with you. I watched how things were with Stephen Davis. I watched how things were with Champ [bailey]. I saw the same things happening to me.

"I restructured my contract to help the Redskins. Do you think I'm going to do that now? Of course not."

Two days later, when the only logical response to those quotes---a firestorm---happens, he responds with:

"I'm worried about Philadelphia, and that's the bottom line," Arrington said. "All this other stuff, people have your opinions, and I think it was obvious that opinion came through in that article. Those are my quotes, but it's the tone of the story that comes from the writer himself.

"I think it's horrible timing for a writer to write something like that, but it happens. It's not going to be a distraction. It's not causing any friction."

"It was taken out of context. I said I want to be a Redskin forever."

Am I the only one with a severe case of psychic whiplash here?

I love you LA. Always have. But what the hell are you thinking?

I think his words were taken out of context to some degree. Lavar isn't as explosive as he once was but he is still an above-average linebacker in this league and I also think he's right about being the most popular with our fans over the years. He compared himself to Brett Favre and Ray Lewis in terms of fan appreciation and he's right. At one time Lavar was the only thing our team had going for it, now that he's a little older and sustained some injuries and now that we have more talent on defense I think he's easy to overlook.:2cents:

Well, if we lose on Sunday now, Lavar is going to be at least partially responsible with these inane rantings. Thanks for doing everything you can to derail the team, jackhole. After all the crying you've done the past few years about wanting to be with the team when it turns around, you go and create a huge negative distraction the week before the biggest game of the past 5 years with the playoffs on the line. Nice.

I don't want this garbage on my team anymore.

Man invites a reporter to his home 6 days before his team plays the biggest game of the year, and says:

Two days later, when the only logical response to those quotes---a firestorm---happens, he responds with:

My sentiments, exactly. Why Lavar, why? :(

He compared himself to Brett Favre and Ray Lewis in terms of fan appreciation and he's right.

Too bad he has never come anywhere near being as productive as either of those two have for their respective teams at the peaks of their careers.

To say that fans love him here as much as fans in Green Bay love Favre? That's not only presumptuous, it's also unsupported and just plain wrong. Favre is practically the second coming in Green Bay. LaVar has nowhere near the support of the fanbase here as Favre has in Green Bay.

The guy's saying he's not marketing like he has been in the past. What is he talking about? What players are being marketed by the 'Skins? I can't think of any particular player the 'Skins as an organization are pushing in front of the cameras. These guys do it on their own. It all points to being upset about the spotlight not focusing solely on him and being on the entire team instead. He was happier when he was the face of a losing team, just as long as he got all the attention.

I'm getting tired listening to him talk about fans in the stands with his jersey and that nonsense. If he's using that and not his actions on the field as his defense, then his hand is empty.

At least he has a 20k square foot home he can go him and cry in, though.

IJ...very nice observation! but haters will be haters (whether avowed fans or not).

And blind fools will be blind fools, whether avowed fans or not. Come on Al. Why does this ALWAYS occur with LaVar? Why is he the one doing these interviews in his home? When Ramsey was benched the Washington Post staked out his house. Ramsey didn't invite them in to do an interview.

LaVar's quotes weren't positive in nature. They were "I love me some me" in nature. Talking about how not playing as a sign they didn't want him when he, HIMSELF, said the knee wasn't right and the coaching staff was right to limit him, given he'd complained they rushed him before when he was begging to play.

Why is he noticing marketing efforts? Why is he focused on that? With LaVar it's the constant woe is me and, "Ooops, that's not what I meant," that becomes the problem. At some point people have to wonder why he keeps doing it and even blind supporters of his have to back away a little.

When the man says or does something dumb, you all know it. Why can't you admit it?

Exactly. All Lavar had to do was tell the reporter, "Look, we have a huge game coming up. I don't want to talk about any of this stuff until the season's over." What would have been so hard about that?

Even if the reporter told him that the article wouldn't run until after the season, if you give the guy juicy enough quotes he's gonna run with it. That's the nature of the business. That article is worth more to the Times now than it would be after the season.

Guest skinsmatic

Well, if we lose on Sunday now, Lavar is going to be at least partially responsible with these inane rantings. Thanks for doing everything you can to derail the team, jackhole. After all the crying you've done the past few years about wanting to be with the team when it turns around, you go and create a huge negative distraction the week before the biggest game of the past 5 years with the playoffs on the line. Nice.

I don't want this garbage on my team anymore.

NONSENSE, Get a grip and get a life. Are you that lonely?

I'd buy the "taken out of context" line if it wasn't ALWAYS Arrington's words that are being "taken out of context". :doh:

How come none of the other players on this team seem to have this problem in thier interviews?

Even if the writer of this article had an agenda to twist this into a negative article, he didn't haft to do much twisting with some of the childish, selfish quotes Arrington gave him.

This has been Arrington's M.O. since Gibbs' return. Arrington wants to be the center of attention, but it's Gibbs who the focus is on.

Not by Gibbs design. Joe Gibbs is a humble man. But he is a legend in Washington. So naturally he is the center of the Redskin universe.

Arrington can't stand not being that. He can't just simply be one of the players, one member of the team. He has to be above the team. He has to be 'Mr. Redskin'. :rolleyes:

This is where these tirades come from. Don't think for a minute that Arrington isn't happy. ALL the attention is back on him right now. So he is as happy as a clam.

It's funny. Arrington is the first one complaining about not being in the playoffs since being in the league, yet when we are now on the verge of making the playoffs (and just possibly winning the division) he is the first one to try and submarine it with a "poor-me" interview.

Having said that, this interview with Arrington WON'T be a distraction. I think the coahes, the fans, and the rest of the players are used to Arrington's "routine" by now. It probably would've been more of a distraction if Arrington hadn't given his quarterly tirade. The players may have thought something was wrong. :)

You nailed it! Besides, how long has he been in the NFL? He was the friggin National H.S. Player of the Year, so how long has he been in contact w/ the media? And he does not know that if he grants an interview on FRIGGIN MONDAY, stating that he may not play for the Skins, that the reporter won't write about it ASAP. He does not know a reporters job is the print juicy gossip to sell papers. Oh yeah, well if you buy that, I have a great piece of real estate i can sell you......it's this bridge in Brooklyn NY. If you don't like that one I'll give you an even better deal on another property located at 1600 Penn. Ave., NW.

He reminds me of my nephew who's 7 weeks old. If he's uncomfortable, he cries because he is not mature enough to endure the discomfort.

"Two days later, when the only logical response to those quotes---a firestorm---happens, he responds with:"

pray tell...what has been the firestorm? what has happened internally with this team? none of you know. this is all emotional purging based on no substance. the firestorm - if there has been one has been sustained by the fans and the media: not the players.

I could care less if management is upset......for all the talk of family...it is first and foremost a business. the players are disposable commodities. that is what LA is speaking to. name once instance, inside the lockerroom, where this has had an impact.

To say that fans love him here as much as fans in Green Bay love Favre? That's not only presumptuous, it's also unsupported and just plain wrong. Favre is practically the second coming in Green Bay. LaVar has nowhere near the support of the fanbase here as Favre has in Green Bay.

The guy's saying he's not marketing like he has been in the past. What is he talking about? What players are being marketed by the 'Skins? I can't think of any particular player the 'Skins as an organization are pushing in front of the cameras. These guys do it on their own. It all points to being upset about the spotlight not focusing solely on him and being on the entire team instead. He was happier when he was the face of a losing team, just as long as he got all the attention.

I LOVE LAVAR. Sure he has issues, everyone does. He's a playmaker and I love the fire and intensity this guy brings. He makes those 'snot bubble' hits that make me fly off of my couch and scream.

NOT EVERYONE IS TURNING THEIR BACK ON YOU, LAVAR! Now go out there and crack some Eagles so YOUR fans can go ape **** on Sunday!

"And blind fools will be blind fools, whether avowed fans or not. Come on Al. Why does this ALWAYS occur with LaVar? Why is he the one doing these interviews in his home? When Ramsey was benched the Washington Post staked out his house. Ramsey didn't invite them in to do an interview."

can always count on you for the perjorative prologue! what he said certainly wasn't dumb. what is being attacked is the timing. as for self centered....well.....that's in the eye of the beholder....and thank god that's a malady 99.9% of the posters on this board are immune to! wouldn't want any double standards....now would we?

know LA well do ya! best buddies are ya? had a heart to heart in which you learned the true depth of his character? what a crock. this is so one dimensional that it is almost comical. there is no context. there is no assessment of everything the man has going on in his life and what he has done. this is simply emotional pap belched by folks who are unhappy that there little sanctum of Skins happiness has been distracted temporarily. NOT ONE PERSON HAS ADDUCED ANY EVIDENCE THAT THIS HAS ACTUALLY HAD AN IMPACT IN THE LOCKERROOM. it's all a bunch of whiny children who are closet control freaks.

And blind fools will be blind fools, whether avowed fans or not. Come on Al. Why does this ALWAYS occur with LaVar? Why is he the one doing these interviews in his home? When Ramsey was benched the Washington Post staked out his house. Ramsey didn't invite them in to do an interview.

LaVar's quotes weren't positive in nature. They were "I love me some me" in nature. Talking about how not playing as a sign they didn't want him when he, HIMSELF, said the knee wasn't right and the coaching staff was right to limit him, given he'd complained they rushed him before when he was begging to play.

Why is he noticing marketing efforts? Why is he focused on that? With LaVar it's the constant woe is me and, "Ooops, that's not what I meant," that becomes the problem. At some point people have to wonder why he keeps doing it and even blind supporters of his have to back away a little.

When the man says or does something dumb, you all know it. Why can't you admit it?

Art. You know how I feel about LA. But, even I believe he has crossed the line this time. Like you said, why bring up the fact that you aren't being marketed like you once were? Especially NOW! :mad:

I wonder the same thing. Could the answer be as simple as Lavar is a big dummy and let's the press sucker him into saying these things? He took the contract dispute and the lack of PT early in the season so personally. Maybe the media knows if they just get him going something juicy will come out.

"He took the contract dispute and the lack of PT early in the season so personally."

and you wouldn't?

GSF....you're one of posters I listen to. my point is that we don't know what is going on behind the scenes and we're all willing to jump all over the man. this is neither innobling nor consistent with how (one would hope) we conduct ourselves in other areas of our lives. I can agree that the timing *ucks. but what has been the impact? no one has produced anything in this regard.

"Two days later, when the only logical response to those quotes---a firestorm---happens, he responds with:"

pray tell...what has been the firestorm? what has happened internally with this team? none of you know. this is all emotional purging based on no substance. the firestorm - if there has been one has been sustained by the fans and the media: not the players.

I could care less if management is upset......for all the talk of family...it is first and foremost a business. the players are disposable commodities. that is what LA is speaking to. name once instance, inside the lockerroom, where this has had an impact.

Nice take. It hasn't had an effect, and it won't, other than a few of the normal idiotic questions from the media being focused on Lavar's comments now.

Lavar's problem is that he's too honest. There isn't a player in the league that doesn't feel the things that Lavar says, they usually just stick to the script that they're given to avoid the headaches that speaking your mind brings.

Should he have said it? No, probably not. But the team probably takes the same stance towards his statements that the Red Sox take towards Manny Ramirez- it's just Lavar being Lavar.

Archived