Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: The Patrick puzzle

tr1

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published December 14, 2005

http://washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20051214-124814-1844r

The thing that surprises Patrick Ramsey three months later is how quickly everything happened.

Twenty-six plays.

Sixteen minutes.

Eleven pass attempts.

One illegal hit to the head.

And then it was over.

Just like that, after starting the final seven games of last season, spending the entire offseason learning the nuances of the offense and playing with the first string the entire preseason, Ramsey was back where he started when Joe Gibbs returned to the Washington Redskins -- watching Mark Brunell play quarterback.

"It seems like a long time ago, not only for me but for this team," Ramsey said of the Redskins' opener against Chicago on Sept. 11. "It's been a roller-coaster ride."

A roller-coaster ride with highs and lows for Brunell and the offense? Totally. But for Ramsey? Hardly. But ever the good teammate, Ramsey has shied away from negative public comments after losing his starting job to Brunell.

Two frustrating seasons and the arrival of Jason Campbell make a decision on Ramsey obvious during the offseason.

Check Rule 10 about full text posts of copyrighted material, please

Ramsey is not going to be here next year. We should trade Ramsey for a draft pick, cut Brunell, and sign Kitna and Rosenfels as backups for Campbell. Kitna had a great season two years ago, and is 2 years younger than Brunell, and Rosenfels is OK as a 3rd QB. Neither Ramsey nor Brunell are the answer next year at QB, Brunell is too old and Ramsey is too inconsistent.

However this shakes out, I hope its been a season well spent for Ramsey in terms of studying the game and refining technique in practice. Hopefully he'll be in a better position when his opportunity finally comes.

It certainly will be an interesting offseason, but I think the first priority is getting under cap. I think that will weigh heavily on the decision with what to do with Ramsey. Anyone know what we are looking at in terms of figures? How much would we save by trading vs. keeping Ramsey? Would cutting Brunell even be an option, or would it only result in a greater cap hit?

Ramsey is not going to be here next year. We should trade Ramsey for a draft pick, cut Brunell, and sign Kitna and Rosenfels as backups for Campbell. Kitna had a great season two years ago, and is 2 years younger than Brunell, and Rosenfels is OK as a 3rd QB. Neither Ramsey nor Brunell are the answer next year at QB, Brunell is too old and Ramsey is too inconsistent.

"Welcome Back" Sage?

:)

Actaully there are a number of Dolphins fans who really want to keep him, at least as a 2nd stringer. What he did against Buffalo two weeks ago has made him quite popular.

If he is not' date=' the Joe Gibbs Era 2.0 will be remembered as an unqualified disaster.[/quote']

Really? Why? So you are totally discounting all of the other moves he has made? Hate to break it to you man, but one player does not an Era make. It would be a big blow for sure but and unqualified disaster? Come on...

If the F.A. QB situation is really as they describe it, we may be better off keeping Ramsey. He already knows the offense, has experience and is playing for peanuts.

OTOH, this is looking to be a good year to draft another QB to compete with Campbell (or be his backup of the future) in the 3rd or 4th round. If we could get a 3rd rounder for Ramsey this might be another viable option.

YOU better keep Ramsey as we have lost Trent Green, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon all Superbowl Quarter Backs since Gibbs was here last. Heck you even Have Ferrotte beating the Raiders that Brunnell could not and Sage coming off the bench for Ferrotte to beat the Bills.

I do not think ramsey was given a fiar chance for what we know how good the Bears defense was and has been all year. I think Rmasey could be our Rypien. remember he was designated started and yank and then reinstalled and 2 years later superbowl winner!!!!

patrick has really handled this in a classy way. i don't think ramsey is the kind of guy who's going to be a dominate player but he is definately a "cog" player that can stretch the defense and get a good wr the ball. he definately can be a trent green kind of guy who will make you think, "why did we get rid of this guy".

in the back of my mind is see brunell getting the boot and patrick starting next year. then we let ramsey walk (unless he becomes a probowl-like performer) and campbell taking over the year following. i don't think gibbs has any intention of exposing campbell before he's ready. i guess the happy ending scenario would be ramsey producing a couple years of his 2nd contract and campbell taking over in year 3-4 of his rookie deal.

Really? Why? So you are totally discounting all of the other moves he has made? Hate to break it to you man, but one player does not an Era make. It would be a big blow for sure but and unqualified disaster? Come on...

My logic is simple.

We didn't make the playoffs last year.

I'm not counting on a five game winning streak so I doubt we make the playoffs this year.

I can't see us making the playoffs next year with a first-year QB at the helm.

So, Campbell has to be good in 2007, and we have to make a run then. Otherwise, what will Gibbs have accomplished?

My logic is simple.

We didn't make the playoffs last year.

I'm not counting on a five game winning streak so I doubt we make the playoffs this year.

I can't see us making the playoffs next year with a first-year QB at the helm.

So' date=' Campbell has to be good in 2007, and we have to make a run then. Otherwise, what will Gibbs have accomplished?[/quote']

I agree with everything you just said.

Archived