Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quit dipping advice

jwebst1

Don't mean to get too personal, but I am trying to quit dipping... started using it in college as something to keep me up every night while studying, then I used it to help me lose a bunch of weight after college, and now I continue to use it on an off and on basis..... mainly when I'm watching TV or sports... unfortunately, my habit has continued now for 8 years.

just curious if anyone here has ever used it, then been able to quit? what worked? I have tried seeds and gum, even the fake chew, but I always seem to go back to the real thing. I need to quit because the whole thing is starting to scare me...

Thanks for any help.

Nicotine is a hell of a thing to try and break yourself of.

I never dipped, but I smoked for many years. Quiting last Jan was the best thing I ever did.

I used the patch... there are several other methods out there that work as well (I'm told)

Whatever you decide, though, I would strongly suggest getting help either from over the counter items such as the patch or by talking to your doctor. They really do help,

and make no mistake, you have a serious physical addiction to a serious drug. I think it helps to look at it that way and realize this.

Good Luck

Jweb. I used it a lot in college while studying or watching TV, I havent quit totally as I will still throw in a lipper during softball, but ive cut back about 95%.

Things that'll help.

1) Find a website with pics of people that got lip cancer. It is truely horrendous. Look at it whenever you want some lip candy.

2) Substitute something when you are watching sports. You've gotten the 2 (sports and dip) linked in your brain. Crazy as it sounds, i substituted water. Now when i watch a game, i drink like a gallon of water. This is of course, for games that im not drinking beers, but I could never dip and drink beers at the same time.

Thanks guys... I appreciate the advice and even the pictures.... I have looked at things like that before and they do make me want to quit forever, but it's so damn hard. Maybe I'll print one of those out and put it on my bathroom mirror.

I like the glass of water idea, although I may try ice instead. I always load up on ice and chewing on ice is a hell of a lot better than a dip.

PleaseBlitz, have you ever tried the mint snuff fake tobacco crap? I didn't mind it, but I honestly felt that it was doing more damage than the real stuff... it was tearing up my gums.

I have never tried the fake stuff. My friend did, he said it didnt satisfy his cravings and just made him want a dip that much more. He equated it to trying to quit drinking by switching to non-alcoholic beer. Which is just silly IMO.

It just takes patience to switch out dipping with something else and making THAT your habit. Ive always heard that it takes 2 solid weeks to form a habit.

Habits in and of themselves arent bad things, you just need to keep the good habits and lose the bad ones. I can't say that I envy your position, its tough. But its worth it. Thats why I looked at the pictures whenever I wanted a lipper, they reminded me of what was at stake.

Try nicorette that will help with the oral fixation (chewing gum) and give you the dosage of nicotine. You can leave it between your check and gum and still get the nicotine. You can get the cheaper walmart/target brands. And you get the side benefit of having jaws like a jackass from chewing so much gum.

Good luck.

:laugh: You might try the shredded jerky or a tic-tac or Altoid if you dip that wintergreen crap.

I have dipped off and on for years and never had trouble quitting, smoking is a pain to quit for me though.

There are very few things in life as enjoyable as packing an enormous lip after taking down 12+ beers. The buzz you get is sheer euphoria.

Luckily, I've never had a craving to dip when sober. I just like to supplement my drunkenness with a lipper every now and then.

There are very few things in life as enjoyable as packing an enormous lip after taking down 12+ beers. The buzz you get is sheer euphoria.

Luckily, I've never had a craving to dip when sober. I just like to supplement my drunkenness with a lipper every now and then.

HAHA, i remember in college I would stumble home from the bar, sit on my couch with a night cap and pack my beak full of Skoal. Then I would pass out and wake up the next morning covered in.....well, y'know.

Ah....dipping memories.

Oh **** wait, we are supposed to be helping him quit.

I would agree with bo here; very rarely does the world align in such a beautiful way as it does when you are a 12 pack deep and have an enourmous lip of skoal packed tight. I would imagine heaven is a lot like those 5 mins of pure nicotine headrush.

I would agree with bo here; very rarely does the world align in such a beautiful way as it does when you are a 12 pack deep and have an enourmous lip of skoal packed tight. I would imagine heaven is a lot like those 5 mins of pure nicotine headrush.

You're not helping! ;)

Another good aid would be a support group. Best of luck Jweb. I'm sure your health and your loved one thanks you for your decision.

Archived