Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i would beat my child...9 year old argues with mother while playing Xbox live

dks1240

That's easy. Take the Xbox away.

My two oldest have been without TV for the past 9 days for similar (though not NEARLY as bad) behavior. The last few days they've been perfect little angels.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Don't know why more parents don't do that -- its not like its a secret; the most effective weapon when dealing with kids is the addition or subtraction of privileges!

Guest sith lord
That must be why it is common for the doctor to spank the baby once it is delivered.

Maybe. But from what I've been told is that you have to form a parent/child relationship from day 1.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Don't know why more parents don't do that -- its not like its a secret; the most effective weapon when dealing with kids is the addition or subtraction of privileges!

I think a lot of parents feel too tired and/or worn down to deal with the inevitable tantrum that follows stern punishment. And it's tougher when kids don't have TV (or whatever) to keep them busy. But that's just lazy parenting. If you truly care about your kids, you'll work harder to teach what they need to know.

Also, don't underestimate the power of leading by example. I have friends who play video games with their six year-olds and will swear and talk trash as if they were drinking buddies. If you do it, your kids will too. Simple as that.

Damn, I would have slapped the taste out of that kids mouth. Yes, I said slap. If I talked my old man like that, I would have had the leather belt over my bare ass and wouldn't be able to walk for a week. Crazy the way most of us were raised compared to how kids a raised today. My nephew is 6 and gets a little mouthy, because his mother lets him get away with it and doesn't reprimand him. When he comes over my house or my mom's he knows better to act like that.

I probably would have taken the X-Box out into the driveway and let the kid watch as I ran it over with my car :laugh:

The funny thing is if parents would just invest time teaching the kids how to behave when they are young (3-5 yrs) then you would not have these problems when they are 9. I think Henry is dead on with this issue of parents to tired/worn down to deal with problems. I have 3 kids - ages 7, 9 and 11 - and I spanked one of them one time. Most of the time it's talking to them about behavior that is expected/acceptable...just an explanation is all. Sometimes with a stern voice, but most of the time a normal voice...

Did that early on and it's made life much easier now (talk to me again when they hit the teen years and I'll let you know how it's going then :laugh: ). All you have to do is give them "the look" and they get back in line pretty quickly.

Several months back we were in a local restaurant and seated next to us was a large group - mostly adults and a few children. Two of the kids are screaming like crazy (in a relatively quiet restaurant) and climbing over mom and dad while they are trying to talk with others. Mom and Dad keep talking without saying a word to the kids practically pulling their arms off...

Later, Mom asks me how I get my kids to behave so well and I simply said I explain to them what behavior is acceptable. Simple as that. Maybe I was blessed with really good kids?

Are you serious? My kid will be lucky to have a TV in the house...all that crap in his room? Its called by them a bookcase and stock it with books, dude.

That's my opinion as well.

Although, I have to admit, when I got in trouble and was sent to my room or whatever, it wasn't a big deal to me since I would just read. Sure I think I got smarter because of it, but it didn't do wonders for the actual discipline aspect.

Several months back we were in a local restaurant and seated next to us was a large group - mostly adults and a few children. Two of the kids are screaming like crazy (in a relatively quiet restaurant) and climbing over mom and dad while they are trying to talk with others. Mom and Dad keep talking without saying a word to the kids practically pulling their arms off...

Later, Mom asks me how I get my kids to behave so well and I simply said I explain to them what behavior is acceptable. Simple as that. Maybe I was blessed with really good kids?

I saw this about every evening in Orlando. It just boggles the mind that some parents let their kids run amock like that. My kids are right around your kids age. 14, 10, and 6. They know better than to act inapropriately in private or public situations. Sure they have their little tiffs between them, but that is part of being siblings. Like I said, God help my kids if they ever disrespected their mother like that.

Are you serious? My kid will be lucky to have a TV in the house...all that crap in his room? Its called by them a bookcase and stock it with books, dude.

They also have bookcases in thier rooms as well as mine :laugh:

My son is nineteen and daughter 16,both are,and have been model children(except for the son's USMC idea ;) ) Good behavior and habits I reward,bad I crush unmercifully.

Despite having all that available,they rarely use it and we spend quite a bit of time as a family playing chess,risk,pente and canasta.

Teach em responsibility early.

That's my opinion as well.

Although, I have to admit, when I got in trouble and was sent to my room or whatever, it wasn't a big deal to me since I would just read. Sure I think I got smarter because of it, but it didn't do wonders for the actual discipline aspect.

My daughter is like that,so for her we force her to clean house...God she hates that. :D

Each kid is different ,but you can find the right buttons to push if you try.

I could not imagine ever talking to my parents that way. And that's beside the fact my father was an expert with a hotwheel track and mom the wooden spoon.

My father had the "Rosewood swatter" It was a piece of Honduran Rosewood.

That would light up your arse. It hung neatly in the kitchen from a nail.

My daughter has always been Daddy's little girl her mom did spank that fanny when I was deployed though.

ND jr when he went thru his terrible 2s and 3s knew that being a good boy meant not standing in the corner and missing his cartoons and getting hugs and kisses from his mom. Spanked by me 3 times

I think I probably would have clipped the X-box wires with a wire cutter. Then when the following conniption fit was over, I'd explain that due to my mercy, the whole thing wasn't smashed, and the young tyrant could save some money and have it taken in to be repaired. And if anything like that tirade ever happened again, the X-box would be disabled again -- not with wire cutters, but with a hammer.

I'm also a big fan of the paddle/belt/spoon treatment.

My father had the "Rosewood swatter" It was a piece of Honduran Rosewood.

That would light up your arse. It hung neatly in the kitchen from a nail.

Ah. Sort of like what my grandmother had around, ( though she wasn't shy about going outside and just picking up a branch).

You guys are freakin me out. I have a daughter due in Feb...

She better behave....

NONE of them behave...Unless they are taught to.

Generaly they are inteligent beings and will learn if instructed and corrected enough though :D

How were you as a kid?

Remember the curse...I hope one day you have kids just like you :laugh:

I saw this about every evening in Orlando. It just boggles the mind that some parents let their kids run amock like that. My kids are right around your kids age. 14, 10, and 6. They know better than to act inapropriately in private or public situations. Sure they have their little tiffs between them, but that is part of being siblings. Like I said, God help my kids if they ever disrespected their mother like that.

I met rdsknbill's oldest sone at the ES tailgate. Very nice and respectful young man. Although I bet he had a few stories to tell his buddies about KevinB at the tailgate. :)

Archived