Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Holiday' Tree?

China

No 'holiday' tree for this grower

A spruce tree grower in Nova Scotia isn't happy his Christmas tree has become a "holiday" tree.

Every fall, the province sends a tree to Boston as a thank-you gift to that city for helping Halifax after the devastating explosion in 1917.

But Donnie Hatt, of Beech Hill, says he wouldn't have sent his 36-year-old, 16-metre white spruce this year if he knew it would be called a "holiday" tree. In fact, he'd rather see it run through the wood chipper in his backyard.

"Well, I think it's a bunch of bullcrap," Hatt said. "The States is never happy with the way things are. They always gotta change something.

"Ever since I was born, a tree was put up for Christmas, not for holidays, because if you're gonna do that you might as well put a tree up for Easter."

Officials with Boston's parks department decided it would be less offensive to some people and generally more inclusive if the word "Christmas" was dropped.

"A lot of people celebrate various religious holidays but also enjoy the lights and we're trying to be inclusive," said Toni Pollak, Boston's commissioner of parks.

Not everyone in Boston agrees with the name change, however.

"A lot of us felt it wasn't right and how could they have the right to even change the name of a gift that was given to us from the people up there," said resident Ray Brochu.

Despite the controversy, the tree will be placed in the Boston Common and the lights will be turned on Dec. 1.

"A lot of people celebrate various religious holidays but also enjoy the lights and we're trying to be inclusive," said Toni Pollak, Boston's commissioner of parks.

Pollak... like Polock? Guess that explains it. It's all in the name... :laugh:

I kid, I kid

Sort of

So are you less offended once it is called a "Holiday Tree"? I'm being serious here. What about people that celebrate no "holiday" this time of year?

I'm not. I could see how some people would be less offended, though. More importantly, as a Jew, while all the Christmas overload doesn't offend me per se, it does annoy the hell out of me. So yeah, I'd rather it be called a holiday tree.

Listen, not everyone celebrates Christmas. If this friggin Canuck doesn't understand that, well, screw him.

So what if not everyone celebrates Christmas. Why does the display have to be all inclusive? Why can't they call it a Christmas tree? After all, historically decorating a tree this time of year is associated with Christmas, not holidays in general.

I'm not. I could see how some people would be less offended, though. More importantly, as a Jew, while all the Christmas overload doesn't offend me per se, it does annoy the hell out of me. So yeah, I'd rather it be called a holiday tree.

Well holiday overload in general annoys me. But it is more the complete commericalization of it all more than anything else.

Personnally I wouldn't be bothered one bit by a publicly purchased menorah set up right in the middle of every city hall in America during Hannukah.

Well holiday overload in general annoys me. But it is more the complete commericalization of it all more than anything else.

Personnally I wouldn't be bothered one bit by a publicly purchased menorah set up right in the middle of every city hall in America during Hannukah.

Agreed. I would rather see multiple displays showing the different aspects of each holiday rather than some lame generic thing.

Christmakwanzahannuka. :doh:

Might as well start celebrating Festivus

Neither would I. Listen, I'm not saying my position is one of logic or unbias. Hell yeah I'm biased. Just imagine having to deal with 'Christmas this, Christmas that' every year for 18 years, and never having Christmas. I get it already!!!! I don't care!

To be fair, it is a Mithra tree, this Christmas business came about when the Catholic church had the cunning idea of defeating pagan religions by stealing their holidays. It is still a great holiday though. Seriously though, I have a hard time understanding how people can get mad over what a christmas tree is called. Call it whatever you want it is still widely recognized as a christmas tree, and that is what it should be called for the sake of accuracy.

It's a friggin Christmas tree and it should be called a Christmas tree. I reject the idea that seeing a symbol of a faith that is not your own is insulting. I walk down the street and I see muslim woman in their traditional clothing....I do not feel insulted. I have seen people from diverse backgrounds displaying religious symbols of all kinds, and I have never felt insulted by it.

The idea that any exposure to a religious symbol is insulting, is laughable. It's a smokescreen used by anti-religious nut jobs to attack christians. That's all it is.

The government putting up a christmas tree is not promoting religion. They are representing the population they are elected to SERVE and nothing more. A christmas tree does not make a statement about our court system, our laws, or anything else. in reality all it means these days is "go buy some **** to put under my branches before it's too late and everyone hates you".

If the government came to your house and put a christmas tree on your yard, then I would agree they've gone a bit too far. If they forced your chidlren to sit in front of it and sing religious songs, then again I agree that is too far. If they outlawed all other symbols, then again that is going too far. But the act of putting up a christmas tree is not.

/rant

But calling it a Christmas tree is not accurate either. Christians incorporated it into the traditions of Christianity but the symbol of the tree existed long before Christianity. So now Christians, who changed the name to a "Christmas tree" are upset that the name is being changed again.

my family tradition is to put up our "Christmas Tree" on Thanksgiving, that is what we have always been doing. We are also Hindu. I have no problem calling it a Christmas Tree cause that is what it has been known as.

Hey Liberty, I heard that using trees on Christmas was some kinda germanic thing, never heard anything on it being a former Mithraiic tradition. Will have to look that one up now.

My family too. Then again, Hindus (outside the BJP and RSS) tend to be chill about this sort of thing. :)

hahaha :laugh: pretty much true, especially since my family has been living long enough outside of India and you just see this stuff as festive.

Can people here that hate PC Liberalism actually adress that the CHRISTMAS TREE WAS NEVER AN ORIGINAL PART OF CHRISTIANITY? If Santa, presents, and the tree were all pagan additions to the Christian religion, then why is changing the name of Christmas such a big deal? You know its a Christmas tree, I know its a Christmas tree, Santa knows its a Christmas tree (and whether we've been naughty or nice), so why can we not just let it be called a Holiday tree? It is not liberal nor PC, its the move towards a more inclusive and secular society. You know, the opposite of closed and religious societies, the ones we so love to hate ;)...

Can people here that hate PC Liberalism actually adress that the CHRISTMAS TREE WAS NEVER AN ORIGINAL PART OF CHRISTIANITY? If Santa, presents, and the tree were all pagan additions to the Christian religion, then why is changing the name of Christmas such a big deal? You know its a Christmas tree, I know its a Christmas tree, Santa knows its a Christmas tree (and whether we've been naughty or nice), so why can we not just let it be called a Holiday tree? It is not liberal nor PC, its the move towards a more inclusive and secular society. You know, the opposite of closed and religious societies, the ones we so love to hate ;)...

MERRY EFFIN' CHRISTMAS

The Bible says not to put a tree in your house...I think its Jeremiah chapter 10 but I'm not sure. But putting trees in your house is definately pagan, and has nothing to do with Christianity.

Maybe we should call it Paganmas. :doh:

Archived