Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Holiday' Tree?

China

Anyone?

Anyone?

Sure, see above. What is with the defensive fear? Disagreeing with others is one thing, but calling the minority a "few whiners" is just mean, as is talking about all 'three people out there that don't celebrate Christmas. IT might hurt their wuddle itty bitty feelwings:doh:"

WTF? There's actually more than 2 or 3 non-xtians in this county, and why is it that we seem to be the most open minded and it's the FRIGHTENED xtians who come across as bigots. So maybe JC didn't die for my sins, but you won't see me making fun of your beliefs or resorting to cheap shots.

Was that really necessary? I mean...if you want to add to the discussion, go ahead, but that was just ignorant and hateful. Dude is Jewish and doesn't like seeing Christmas stuff everywhere, so you go and do that. Classy. I guess you can't expect much more from an Eagle fan though.

Is it o.k. for me to say that I hate seeing Hannukah stuff everywhere. But that's not P.C. enough for the limp wristed liberals is it. Walk away, jrockster, walk away. It's really sad that if I say Merry Christmas to someone that i may have offended them, that is truly assinine.

It really pisses me off that as a christian, I can not celebrate my religion without offending someone and them crying for a change.

A) Why on earth is someone who is not the majority (and I take it, your own) religion starting "anti-christian crying fits"? Changing the NAME of the damn tree is not anti-christian. Is it FEAR that gets Christians so defensive?
Oh joy the fear argument. You think I haven't seen this 100 times? The only thing going on here is that I notice a trend on which relgious mentions, celebrations, and symbols are being consistently attacked. No fear involved. Sorry to burst your bubble.
B)Never said that Christmas is invalid. It's the NAME I was referring to. Cultures do evolve over hundreds of years, and Yule is one of those celebrations that has existed in some form for thousands of years. Saternalia was the Roman celebration to welcome the return of the SUN (not SON) and people brought live tree boughs into the house to celebrate the triumph of life (the evergreen that doesn't die) over death (the end of the agricultural year). Good ol' American Christmas as we know it has been celebrated in this country (where we fled to avoid religious persecution) oh, for just over 100 years. Go figure. So which is invalid? The birth of the SUN or moving JC's b-day to disrupt the pagan holiday?

The tree doesn't have anything to do with Christ - which, incidently, was why it was outlawed in American when celebrating Christmas was against the law.

You claim it's the name you are referring to...and then go on to argue the celebration itself. Pick a position and stick to it.

Going back to my point, christianity evolved when it merged with pagan faiths, the two were merged and the product is lived today. Pointing out it's origin is interesting historical trivia but no one is lining up to celebrate the sun god. The faiths merged and the only valid choice is that which is the product of that merger, because what existed before it ceased to be.

There is no freedom from religious symbols in the constitution either. The point of seperation is to keep the government from imposing a specific religion on you. Putting up a tree and calling it by the right name is not imposing a belief on anyone. If a teacher forced her students to celebrate christmas in class that would be forcing it down their throats. Having a christmas tree anyone is free to acknowledge or ignore is not.

Tomato, tomahto, you righties are hilarious.

Oh, and I don't really think ignoring a 50-foot, brightly lit tree in Boston Common is a possibility. :doh:

So not wanting to change to avoid insult is bigotry in your mind. But insisting on change and knowinlgy insulting most people is not. OK.... :rolleyes:

Knowingly insulting most people? I mean...do you have a poll to back this up? I mean...seriously. I don't think you speak for "most people," and I would venture to guess that "most people" wouldn't give a crap if they called a Christmas tree in a PUBLIC PLACE a Holiday tree.

Is it o.k. for me to say that I hate seeing Hannukah stuff everywhere. But that's not P.C. enough for the limp wristed liberals is it. Walk away, jrockster, walk away. It's really sad that if I say Merry Christmas to someone that i may have offended them, that is truly assinine.

It really pisses me off that as a christian, I can not celebrate my religion without offending someone and them crying for a change.

Don't be ignorant WX, you know very well that its not because you said merry Christmas to him. Its the manner in which you wrote it and the context in which you wrote it. And no, I will not walk away...if you notice, all the colors around your burgundy and gold, and you're posting in green. So why don't YOU make like a tree and get the **** outta here.

Oh, and you're not celebrating your religion, you were rubbing it in Chopper Dave's face. :doh:

Sure, see above. What is with the defensive fear? Disagreeing with others is one thing, but calling the minority a "few whiners" is just mean, as is talking about all 'three people out there that don't celebrate Christmas. IT might hurt their wuddle itty bitty feelwings:doh:"

WTF? There's actually more than 2 or 3 non-xtians in this county, and why is it that we seem to be the most open minded and it's the FRIGHTENED xtians who come across as bigots. So maybe JC didn't die for my sins, but you won't see me making fun of your beliefs or resorting to cheap shots.

Yeah, that must be it. I'm afraid of the three whiners and the other two people that are offended :doh:

Face it, a MAJORITY of people in this country celebrate Christmas, whether it be for the birthday of Jesus or the pagan aspects or the "almighty dollar". That entails Christmas trees, church services, presents, caroling and all the other goodies. It is an American TRADITION. A MAJORITY of people don't care to see their traditions denegrated, changed, altered, ignored because three people take offense.

And yet for some reason we have these libs who feel they have to make everyone happy.

I have news for you. THere's always somethig to ***** about, and people that ***** about CHristmas offending them are going to find something else to ***** about if they ever manage to get rid of Christmas.

Oh joy the fear argument. You think I haven't seen this 100 times? The only thing going on here is that I notice a trend on which relgious mentions, celebrations, and symbols are being consistently attacked. No fear involved. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You claim it's the name you are referring to...and then go on to argue the celebration itself. Pick a position and stick to it.

Going back to my point, christianity evolved when it merged with pagan faiths, the two were merged and the product is lived today. Pointing out it's origin is interesting historical trivia but no one is lining up to celebrate the sun god. The faiths merged and the only valid choice is that which is the product of that merger, because what existed before it ceased to be.

My goddess, of course you've heard the "fear" thing 100 times! It is oozing out of your pores right across cyber-space! You think the "Others" might take over the planet and there would be no more Christmas? LOL

My point re: name vs. celebration itself is that the name HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CELEBRATION. Christianity did not merge with pagan faiths. It was decreed that Christ's birthday would be celebrate during the Winter Solstice and pagan holidays were slowly outlawed. What existed before did NOT cease to be. There are plentyof us lining up to celebrate the Sun God and we are everywhere. You work with us, we sell you cars, we teach your children, we police citizens and we are in your government.

Christianity is not the only valid choice. D@mn straight your scared.

Neither would I. Listen, I'm not saying my position is one of logic or unbias. Hell yeah I'm biased. Just imagine having to deal with 'Christmas this, Christmas that' every year for 18 years, and never having Christmas. I get it already!!!! I don't care!

I get it too... You are intolerant of other peoples religion and expect them to conform to your wishes. Gotcha.

Tomato, tomahto, you righties are hilarious.

Oh, and I don't really think ignoring a 50-foot, brightly lit tree in Boston Common is a possibility. :doh:

Righties? hahahaha :laugh:

Knowingly insulting most people? I mean...do you have a poll to back this up? I mean...seriously. I don't think you speak for "most people," and I would venture to guess that "most people" wouldn't give a crap if they called a Christmas tree in a PUBLIC PLACE a Holiday tree.

You need a poll to tell you that Christians aren't going to take well to being told Christmas is no longer acceptable in public? That is what this is saying BTW. Christmas is fine....as long as it's not in public. In public we'll call your religious tradition by the generic non-offensive term "holiday". We won't however be changing the names of jewish symbols or celebrations...or any any other groups...just yours. Yeah people are just going to be thrilled by that.

Yeah, that must be it. I'm afraid of the three whiners and the other two people that are offended :doh:

Face it, a MAJORITY of people in this country celebrate Christmas, whether it be for the birthday of Jesus or the pagan aspects or the "almighty dollar". That entails Christmas trees, church services, presents, caroling and all the other goodies. It is an American TRADITION. A MAJORITY of people don't care to see their traditions denegrated, changed, altered, ignored because three people take offense.

And yet for some reason we have these libs who feel they have to make everyone happy.

I have news for you. THere's always somethig to ***** about, and people that ***** about CHristmas offending them are going to find something else to ***** about if they ever manage to get rid of Christmas.

Thank God for people like you!!! :applause:

You need a poll to tell you that Christians aren't going to take well to being told Christmas is no longer acceptable in public? That is what this is saying BTW. Christmas is fine....as long as it's not in public. In public we call your religious tradition be a generic non-offensive term "holiday". We won't however be changing the names of jewish symbols or celebrations...or any any other groups...just yours. Yeah people are just going to be thrilled by that.

Thank You :applause:

My goddess, of course you've heard the "fear" thing 100 times! It is oozing out of your pores right across cyber-space! You think the "Others" might take over the planet and there would be no more Christmas? LOL
Others? Wow. Would you mind at least trying to be intellectually honest? I've never said anything at all about "others" or the end of Christmas.

My point re: name vs. celebration itself is that the name HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CELEBRATION. Christianity did not merge with pagan faiths. It was decreed that Christ's birthday would be celebrate during the Winter Solstice and pagan holidays were slowly outlawed. What existed before did NOT cease to be. There are plentyof us lining up to celebrate the Sun God and we are everywhere. You work with us, we sell you cars, we teach your children, we police citizens and we are in your government.

lol Sorry I forgot that a few interesting folks still keep the dead faiths alive. Let me go find a few druids and see what they want to call the tree....maybe I can find a few Aztecs too.

I avoid the political threads...you sure sound like a right-winger.

You need a poll to tell you that Christians aren't going to take well to being told Christmas is no longer acceptable in public? That is what this is saying BTW. Christmas is fine....as long as it's not in public. In public we call your religious tradition be a generic non-offensive term "holiday". We won't however be changing the names of jewish symbols or celebrations...or any any other groups...just yours. Yeah people are just going to be thrilled by that.

You're not serious, are you? They aren't getting rid of Christmas. That will never happen. They are calling one tree a holiday tree instead of a Christmas tree. Even if they changed the name everywhere, there would still be Santa Clauses everywhere and "holiday trees" on every corner and in every mall. There would be "holiday lights" strung up on every light pole in every town in america.

Question: does it offend you to see signs that say "Happy Holidays" when they used to say "Merry Christmas?" I know this is not the same thing, but I'm just curious. Also, if they said either call it a holiday tree or we're going to scrap it...what would you say then?

Christianity is the only valid choice if you don't want to spend your afterlife in eternal hellfire.

I avoid the political threads...you sure sound like a right-winger.

You're not serious, are you? They aren't getting rid of Christmas. That will never happen. They are calling one tree a holiday tree instead of a Christmas tree. Even if they changed the name everywhere, there would still be Santa Clauses everywhere and "holiday trees" on every corner and in every mall. There would be "holiday lights" strung up on every light pole in every town in america.

Question: does it offend you to see signs that say "Happy Holidays" when they used to say "Merry Christmas?" I know this is not the same thing, but I'm just curious. Also, if they said either call it a holiday tree or we're going to scrap it...what would you say then?

I'd say this is America and your not taking away my freedom of speech or freedom of religion you liberal *******.

No, I don't need a poll to tell me that most Christians probably wouldn't care. I mean...whatever happened to Christmas being about family and the birth of Jesus? When did it become this tree-loving festival? Its just a tree! Its a tree in a public place, no less!

You can still call your tree at home a Christmas tree...they can never take that away from you. You can put all the holiday decorations you want on your property. They can't take that away from you.

Others? Wow. Would you mind at least trying to be intellectually honest? I've never said anything at all about "others" or the end of Christmas.

Uh, that's why there was a LOL at the end of that line. I'm just trying to guess here what the fear is...

lol Sorry I forgot that a few interesting folks still keep the dead faiths alive. Let me go find a few druids and see what they want to call the tree....maybe I can find a few Aztecs too.

"keep the dead faiths alive" hmmm, a bit of an oxymoron there, how 'bout we just admit they're alive? I still don't understand the hostility toward others unlike yourself - so far it's jews, pagans, druids and aztecs and a canadian dude with a tree in canada. Anyone else?

That my dear, is bigotry.

I'd say this is America and your not taking away my freedom of speech or freedom of religion you liberal *******.

Okay, tell me how calling a public tree in a public place a "holiday" tree instead of a "Christmas" tree prohibits you from practicing Christianity. Go ahead, take your time. You're going to need it, because the answer is IT DOESN'T.

Oh, and am I the only one who finds it ironic that you are excercising your freedom of speech to ***** about your freedom of speech? :doh:

Archived