Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT/DE free agents.... Who should we target?!

illone

Did Bush mislead Americans about the "Imminent Threat" Hussein posed?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Did Bush mislead Americans about the "Imminent Threat" Hussein posed?

There is no superstar having a great year who will become a free agent next season. The Redskins have no #1 draft pick either. They are simply out of luck, and they are going to reap the negative results of not drafting defensive linemen over the last 14 years.

The only hope is to take that 2nd round pick and find somebody in a smaller school who will peform at a high level. Michael Strahan was a 2nd round pick.

There is no superstar having a great year who will become a free agent next season. The Redskins have no #1 draft pick either. They are simply out of luck, and they are going to reap the negative results of not drafting defensive linemen over the last 14 years.

The only hope is to take that 2nd round pick and find somebody in a smaller school who will peform at a high level. Michael Strahan was a 2nd round pick.

You don't necessarily need superstars to be successful. It helps but it isn't required. Give me 3 Cornelius Griffin's up front and Noble would have 15+ sacks.

We are already reaping the negative benefits of not drafting defensive linemen, that's why I started the thread:laugh:

Who cares about Michael Strahan, he's someone elses find?!

Don't you think if Gibbs wanted a 1st rounder he could get one?

Stop thinking so inside the box, there are other ways to fix the team plus Gibbs so far is above average in free agency. You don't think in that fairly large list of players that SOMEONE in there will be available next season?

Someone that can potentially fix what we have wrong?

I have a feeling that John Abraham won't sign with the Jets next season. He really wants a long term deal and with the Jets slipping further out of contention he won't want to stick around for that. Plus with Herman Edwards possibly leaving he may get lost in the shuffle as that organization re-tools.

:2cents:

Mathis would be huge!!! I can't imagine how much money it would take to lure him away from Indy though.

Triplett would be nice too, but Indy is trying to keep their team pretty consistent from year to year so they could make a big effort to resign him.

I also like Howard, he's a very strong pass rusher.

brandon noble will be a huge part but i think salave'a is great as well...id say put all of our money on darren howard because the guy's a beast and is probably our most likely pick out of the three best (aka him abraham and mathis)

next draft a lot of d-linemen especially dends because our tackles still look pretty impressive to me....somebody said trade ramsey for berry from arizona---ive thought that same thing before and i foamed at the mouth that guy would be HUGE for us

our secondary would be just fine with a pass rush (any thoughts about trading for atlanta's rod coleman???)

Draft- Tamba Hali from Penn State has an awesome motor!

F/A that I like- the cap question was asked initally, so I'm throwing that out for now.

if we like someone bad enough, we'll find a way....

1. Mathis - rising star

2. Berry - if he heals

3. Abraham - worried about baggage he may bring

4. Triplett - teamed with Griff....wow!

Robert Mathis #98

Definitely Robert Mathis #98 of the Indianapolis Colts. We should go after him like no other player. He is by far the best man in the defensive free agency.

After 10 weeks of foot ball here are Mathis's stats::applause:

32 Tackles

09 Asst. Tackles

07 Forced Fumbles (That takes care of TO ratio right there)

01 Pass Defended

:logo: :point2sky :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck :point2sky :logo:

It just really helps to have a first rounder when looking for DL. Those guys go early and often in the draft. DE and DT positions are in such high demand that most teams in need there use their #1 pick on them.

And good ones aren't easy to find. There are busts in the first round all the time; especially at DE. That's why some teams are starting to go to a 3-4 defense. Because pass rushing OLB's are easier to find than pass rushing DE's.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is hard to find those guys outside of round 1. I certainly don't want to count on a second or third rounder to come in here and change our fortunes on the DL.

Free agency might be the way to go, but I'm afraid the good one's will re-up with their current team. That's usually the way it goes these days. Mathis, Freeny, Abraham... I doubt their teams let them get away, although you never know. It would definately be a break from the norm though. Our cap issues would be a problem in free agency though.

Someone said, if we want someone bad enough, we'll get them. It doesn't work that way. We wanted Pierce and Smoot but couldn't do it. Oh we could have, but we would have been in cap trouble for sure had we... so we didn't. Which is the same thing as saying we couldn't because of our cap.

And no way does Arizona trade Berry for Ramsey. Get real.

We might get lucky, but we can't count on getting DE help for sure this coming off season.

We should've taken Merriman or Ware when we had the chance. I mean, look at how many good CB's switched teams this past off season: Smoot, Lucas, Henry, Baxter. How many good DE switched? Uh.... Not many.

Corners are easier to find than pass rushing DE's. We should've taken Merriman or ware instead of Rogers.

Ok, the guys who stood out to me:

New York Jets: DE John Abraham

The biggest name. He has some baggage, and some would question his heart, but when he wants to produce, he does. Case in point: Its contract year. Everytime I see the Jets highlights, he's there making a huge play. And after this year, he may want out.

Cincinnati: DE Carl Powell

Powell would be a nice rotation guy. But I have a feeling he's staying in Cincy.

Indianapolis: DT Larry Tripplett

Speed rusher. The only concern is can he stop the run. He's about Griffin's size and plays like him. Would definitely help the pass rush.

Indianapolis: DE Robert Mathis (RFA)

Undersized. And I think he gets a lot of his sacks off of Freeny on the other side. I only want him if he's cheap. The Colts were considering moving him to linebacker in the offseason.

Kansas City: DE Carlos Hall

I remember his rookie season. Seems like then he hasn't done much since. Still, he showed flash once . . .

New Orleans: DE Darren Howard

Love this guy. Seems like he can do it all. Don't know much about his personal life, but he can't enjoy playing in The Big Easy. And Will Smith is waiting in the wings

Tampa Bay: DT Chris Hovan

Has shown flashes, but I've only seen him a couple times. Might be worth a shot if he's cheap.

For some reason I thought that Carolina's Rucker was available. That would be a nice pickup.

I don't know about the draft. Don't get to watch much college football.

And good ones aren't easy to find. There are busts in the first round all the time; especially at DE. That's why some teams are starting to go to a 3-4 defense. Because pass rushing OLB's are easier to find than pass rushing DE's.

Yup. And the Skins have shown the 3-4 this year. I really think they should use it more. With Arrington and Washington blitzing :D

Free agency might be the way to go, but I'm afraid the good one's will re-up with their current team. That's usually the way it goes these days. Mathis, Freeny, Abraham... I doubt their teams let them get away, although you never know. It would definately be a break from the norm though. Our cap issues would be a problem in free agency though.

Yup. Don't forget Peppers.

Someone said, if we want someone bad enough, we'll get them. It doesn't work that way. We wanted Pierce and Smoot but couldn't do it. Oh we could have, but we would have been in cap trouble for sure had we... so we didn't. Which is the same thing as saying we couldn't because of our cap.

Ugh, this ticks me off so much. I wish we had kept one of those guys. Smoot most of all. I kinda miss his mouth actually :D

And no way does Arizona trade Berry for Ramsey. Get real.

We might get lucky, but we can't count on getting DE help for sure this coming off season.

I can hope. Maybe throw in a 3rd rounder. Shoot, maybe we should contact them right now. And according to your logic, we have even less of a chance of getting a DE in the draft.

We should've taken Merriman or Ware when we had the chance. I mean, look at how many good CB's switched teams this past off season: Smoot, Lucas, Henry, Baxter. How many good DE switched? Uh.... Not many.

Corners are easier to find than pass rushing DE's. We should've taken Merriman or ware instead of Rogers.

Thank you for someone who finally agrees with me. I was screaming at the radio. I wanted either Merriman or Big Mike Williams (still think we should have taken BMW). Merriman would have been fine at DE. And he would have been in camp on time. And he was a local guy. :mad:

Instead of Clements, I would go with Deshea Townsend from Pittsburgh. He plays in an attacking system, is cheap, and underrated. He would provide quality depth (injuries there have been a problem this season), and could fight for the starting spot next year with Rogers. If Townsend would be open to possibly moving to Nickel in the near future, I would sign him quick.

Not a fan of Townsend. Not a fan of Marcellus Wiley either. Not at any price.

Why pick up a cb? springs will 32 or 33 next year. and #27 has been struggling and he's in his 30"s as well. that leaves carlos rogers as the only long term cb.if we could afford clements ,him and springs would dominate freeing us to blitz plus it would give rogers one or two more years to progress. i think good de and dt can be had cheaply.i do think we need to look at mlb and lb depth.we will probably need a back up qb. another wr and andother guard to take dockery's place preferably hutchison.can seattle resign him having just signed hassleback and walter jone to career contracts and needing to sign alexander this year.it would be tough.i'm telling you dockery is the weak link.

Archived