Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Too funny.

Art

The latest update in the Post has the following passage on the Spurrier-Ramsey chat.

"Ramsey told Spurrier by phone earlier Tuesday that he wanted to play for the Redskins and be coached by Spurrier, sources said. But Spurrier and the Redskins seemed ready to move on and told Ramsey they would have little time for him this season because he was so far behind, according to sources. Sexton quickly struck a deal with the Bears after the Redskins granted permission for those negotiations to take place, sources said."

How accurate this is certainly can be debated since no direct quotes are contained. But, the conversation I suspected happened, with Ramsey saying he really wants to be here and Spurrier saying, sorry, but he's got enough work with the others and won't have time for Ramsey, is pretty close to being said here.

Someone tell Lenny the Hutt it's not the miffed QB you have to worry about here. It's the miffed coach who is the one in charge.

Ramsey's only recourse is to force S2 to pay attention to him by his performance in TC and the remaining preseason games. He'll have to take advantage of every opportunity to showcase his talents.

All in all though, having him watching from the sideline and learning the offense via Matthews/Wueffrel might be a blessing in the long run. We all agree that we didn't want to see him get thrown to the wolves his rookie year anyway.

The bottom line is that Spurrier's desire to win will be stronger than any grudge he holds against Ramsey. If Ramsey shows skills and is a real option at QB ... either this year or next ... this holdout probably won't keep him in the doghouse.

Spurrier's a competitor, and if Ramsey is his best QB, I have no doubts he'll invest the time needed to make him the man ... that much I can be sure of. I'm not worry about Ramsey being cast off early.

I would, however, like to know what kind of a deal Sexton reached with the bears? I have two theories, either:

- The bears said "Sure, we'll give Ramsey the escalator's he wants if the trade can happen for a 3rd round pick and a back-up guard."

or

- The bears said they'll give Ramsey the escalators he wants, so long as this is a sign and trade deal, and the Skins pay the entirety of the signing bonus (i.e., no cap impact for the bears).

The seeds are being planted early and often.

1. With your speedy 3rd round draft pick going down with ACL injury

2. Patrick Ramsey in SS doghouse

3. Ladell Betts riding the bench behind Stephen Davis and so far an Impressive Gillespie(sp)

The Redskins 2002 draft class has the chance to go down as 1 of the worst in franchise History.

Originally posted by Qcard

3. Ladell Betts riding the bench behind Stephen Davis and so far an Impressive Gillespie(sp)

The Redskins 2002 draft class has the chance to go down as 1 of the worst in franchise History.

Talk about pre-mature ejaculation...but then again, you are a cowpie aren't you?

Originally posted by Qcard

Greg Scott, Rashad Bauman, and Robert Royal.....DOOOOONKEY!

There have been some stinkers no doubt in the Skins history. But I think this draft will take 3-4 years before it can be accurately evaluated.

The Skins didnt really draft anyone to start this year. Which is a nice change of pace.

I disagree QCard.

the Redskins had 10 picks and were drafting for depth beyond Ramsey who seemed to fit an immediate need for a young passer with a good downfield arm.

true, the Skins don't have a LaVar Arrington or Chris Samuels to trot out there as an impact player right off the bat.

But, unlike some other teams like Dallas, the Skins didn't have a top 10 pick either :)

You have to admit when you have greater and more pronounced needs it may indeed be easier to align your draft so that you select an immediate starter over a guy that may take a year or two to blossom.

But we don't know that players such as Ramsey, Betts, Russell, Bauman, Royal, Coleman or the others AREN'T going to blossom.

As far as Betts goes, I had some doubts about the wisdom of taking a RB in round 2 vs. a guard or defensive tackle, but you have to admit that ANY player the Skins brought in at running back right now as either a draft pick or free agent is going to be a backup when the team has the NFC's leading rusher already in-house :)

My gauge on the Skins drafts goes like this:

1. How many picks make the final roster.

2. How many picks are starters or contributors by Year 3.

3. Compare the statistics from #1 and #2 vs. the total number of picks made and the draft position of the team.

I think that is a reasonable way of looking at younger players.

To single a guy out as a bust or a budding star based on one preseason game and some camp chatter in the Post or the ESPN website is kind of ridiculous.

I see players like Stephen Davis that came into the NFL as #4 draft choices with little fanfare and little written about them developing into anything special and yet a few years later the player has 1,400-1,300-1,400 yards in consecutive seasons :)

I will apply the same standards here to the Cowboys pick so in case Williams or Gurode or Bryant does not hit the ground running once the season starts you won't see me calling them busts before they have a chance to adjust to the NFL game :)

Why does Lenny go out of his way to poop on the Skins. Spurrier and Co. have much more of a reason to be 'miffed', and are probably a lot more pissed about it than Ramsey is.

If he's as good as he's supposed to be, there's no reason for Ramsey not to believe that he could have come in, maybe not off the bat, but been this team's starter.

Could Ramsey's holding out for more money be a result of a bit of self doubt that resides in him?

If he were as confident in his ability to perform in the NFL as his draft position says he should be, he would truly believe that soon he'll be lighting it up and the money will come. I look at someone like a Joey Harrington who said, 'Ok, no matter what, I'll be in camp, that's more important than the money at this point.' To me, that drips of self confidence and I believe Harrington will have a great career.

So, is Ramsey nervous of how he'll perform in the NFL, and therefore concerned about his eventual money making potential, or is his agent Jimmy Sexton just a greedy lil' Foker?

Whoa, did I just say agent and greedy in the same sentence? Jeez, what's come over me today?

What seeds are being planted, Qcard? True, we had a bad draft, but last time I checked, aside from this past year the Cowboys have had some less than impressive draft classes. Betts looked decent against the 9ers, but he didn't get the ball enough to be farily evaluated, and we have a potential sleeper in Gillespie. I'm not worried about the RB position.

Ramsey is going to be nothing but a clipboard commando this year anyway, so let him fester on the bench and we'll see how the gators fare. Perhaps Danny or to a lesser extent Shane will become our QB of the future and Ramsey will become expendable. Who the hell knows, right?

Q, your draft also stands a chance of being one of the worst in history. Why? Because nobody has any idea what's in store for any team's draft in terms of injury, disputes or inability to perform over the course of the season. Only a truly ignorant moron would attempt to pass such a judgement 5 minutes into the preseason. Surely that doesn't describe you?

By the way, thanks for noticing how well some of our young guys like Gillespie have been coming along under the best offensive coaching in the NFL. What a day-brightener! :cheers:

Once the draft is over, I don't think it matters too much if the need is met. If Betts isn't the answer, but we found a diamond in the rough with Gilespe (sp) that's okay. If Ramsey held out too long, but Weurfal can continue to reinvent expectations, that's okay too. We can quibble and say x was a wasted pick or was picked in the wrong order, but if the need will be met, life is good. We have a lot to feel good about first preseason game. My worries include running (but not third down back) and punt returns primarily, with a side worry about pass rush, which may grow depending on what we see from first team.

Archived