Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Whither LaVar? Withering, Apparently - Kornheiser

spanishomelette

Whither LaVar? Withering, Apparently

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001366.html

By Tony Kornheiser

Tuesday, October 11, 2005; Page E02

Exactly what are the Redskins planning for LaVar Arrington -- other than to sit him on the bench like an overripe plum and let him rot from the inside?

A reportedly healthy LaVar didn't play one down against Denver, after playing just two downs against Seattle. It seems a campaign by Redskins coaches to quarantine LaVar is in full bloom.

When asked about LaVar's inert status on the defense, Joe Bugel said, "You can't be a flash; you can't make one big play, then make four or five bad plays." Gregg Williams said that players who want to play "have to do it in practice." And according to Bill Maas, a Fox analyst who worked the Denver game, Williams pointed out LaVar "hadn't been to any of the offseason programs." Sounds like they're building a case, doesn't it?

Bugel said the most important thing about the Redskins' defense is "discipline." Maas said Williams explained his defense is "precise." The inference is LaVar is neither disciplined, nor precise, that he is -- to use a word often associated with him -- a "freelancer."

But let's hold on a second. Last time I looked, LaVar had played good enough defense on some darned good defensive teams here to be elected to the Pro Bowl three times -- which is two more times than anybody else on that defense. And just a few months ago, in June, this same Gregg Williams was quoted saying, "It's no secret that I'm a better coach when LaVar is on the field." So, wha' happened?

It's hard to believe a healthy LaVar Arrington isn't good enough to get into the game. (If I owned the Redskins, I'd want to see that with my own eyes.) But if the Redskins don't want LaVar, they should deactivate him, and not strand him out there in his clean jersey so it looks like they're deliberately trying to embarrass and punish him.

He did well in Williams system in preseason, and when Williams Joined the team last year, he said LaVar is one of the few player garenteed not to loose his spot, before he was injured.

Then LaVar came back while injured, and got more playing time in at DE then, than he is getting total now.

It is a mystery, I really don't buy the freelancer arguement, I think there is something else, maybe GW setting an example, or motivational tactic, or somethin, because Greg never has showed any ill will towards LaVar other than not playing him this year.

It really is a mystery...I have to believe that he's going to get in there sooner or later. Hopefully, Lavar will just "get it" one day and start busting his ass in practice. Then he'll be back on the field full time. He is an asset to any defense he plays on, and would be an asset to this one. He just needs to show it in practice, apparently...

Kornheiser is right

Why go through the whole charade of dressing him and not playing him at all

3 players didn't get a snap Sunday. Lavar, Ramsey, and Cory Raymer

Doesn't make any sense at all. With all of the brilliance, and how well the D staff has done since they have been here it simply is mindboggling that they can't come up with some package for Lavar

Just do the Darnarian on him and avoid the game day drama

Kornheiser is right

Why go through the whole charade of dressing him and not playing him at all

3 players didn't get a snap Sunday. Lavar, Ramsey, and Cory Raymer

Doesn't make any sense at all. With all of the brilliance, and how well the D staff has done since they have been here it simply is mindboggling that they can't come up with some package for Lavar

Just do the Darnarian on him and avoid the game day drama

what woud you do if Holdman or Washington got hurt?

it's up to Lavar to get on the field..... he has to follow his assignment, and learn the defense

it's that simple

Now, why isn't this considered a repetitive "L-word" thread. Colud it be because the person who posted it has 3,750 posts?

:rolleyes:

THIS is an article from Tony K.....distributed here. This is NOT an opinon thread about how LaVar is being treated.

You might want to look at all of the different types of threads and learn the difference.

Blondie

$h1t rolls downhill. When you sue your employer and gripe about conspiracies to the media, your company stock is sure to decline. My bet is this comes downhill from either Danny boy or JoeJoe (or both) and GW is just following orders. There are also financial implications. Keeping Lavar out of the Pro Bowl ensures he won't become a free agent early (trade anyone?) and there was also a bonus for playing in 98% of special teams plays. Do we really believe Lavar is not good enough to play ST? They just don't want to pay him. Anyone who claims this "demotion" is performance based or based on an inability to grasp a system is not looking at it clearly.

Now, why isn't this considered a repetitive "L-word" thread. Colud it be because the person who posted it has 3,750 posts?

This is an article from the newspaper. If ALL of them say the same thing, all of them will be posted as it gives people a chance to read the paper and discuss ideas put forth there. Consider it a NATURAL place for your "We want answers" rant.

As to this, I liked Tony better when he was writing full columns.

I don't understand why people would want Lavar to be made inactive. He's a backup player who could be called upon any time there's an injury to get substantial playing time. And, he's in limited packages, like, say, Ray Brown. Brown only got in on the heavy package at the goal line for two plays. That's it.

His package was called. Against Denver, the package Lavar is on, which is clearly very long yardage, certain passing situations -- like when we'd be in prevent -- weren't called. Next game they could be. Or Holdman could be hurt and he could get dramatically increased time due to injury.

Suggesting we make healthy backups inactive is ludicrous.

it's up to Lavar to get on the field..... he has to follow his assignment, and learn the defense

it's that simple

How to you explain this statement Bubba if true?

"And according to Bill Maas, a Fox analyst who worked the Denver game, Williams pointed out LaVar "hadn't been to any of the offseason programs." Sounds like they're building a case, doesn't it?"

if this is the main reason why Lavar is not playing then why is ST playing? Lavar had a very good reason not to be at those OTAs, he was hurt. ST however not only he didn't show up but he also didn't even return the calls of his HC. If anyone deservers to sit on the bench is ST. The more this stituation goes on the more Gregg Williams looks like a big jerk. Mind you it has nothing to do with his abilities to coach a defense (or does it because if you are such a genius then you must be able to figure out a way to get a player like Lavar in the field) it has to do with the way he is treating a player that has been the identity of this team for the past 5 years.

Tony is correct. Don't dress him. Why dress 5 LBs for the game when we hardly use 4. I guess Lavar doesn't cut it for Blanche, Lindsay and Williams but have the balls to come out and say so and tell him to go home until he "gets" it whatever that is.

And then have to balls to explain to us fans why is it that if we keep going like this we will break the NFL record in least sacks and least turnovers and why Holdman is such a better player than Lavar. Maybe these guys can explain to us how players that to good in practice week after week can be so mediocre come game day because I can't get it. I can't get the fact that many players come game day are just juiced up, from the crowed the moment and just reach another level. Because we know Lavar is such a player. We saw it his first game back in preaseason where he was so pumped he almost had a heart attack. No Gregg these type of players may not "practice" well but come game day they will leave, to borrow a phrase from our HC, their guts out on the field.

Greek, understand what the statement means.

Arrington didn't get any field reps in mini-camp or OTAs because of his knee. And that made it hard for Lavar to pick things up. Taylor didn't either, because of his choice, but he's not failed to pick it up and, in fact, was one of the earlier comments mentioned by Williams about Taylor during camp.

Marcus Washington said on this VERY board the same thing about Lavar's inability to work in the system all off season hindering his knowledge of it. It's not a secret. There's no ulterior motive on the part of the team here. Lavar's playing time is in Lavar's hands.

it's that simple

it's not that simple!!! He has to be given a chance to follow his assignments. He has to get the amount of reps that are due to a three time pro bowler and all around talent. Your fooling yourself if you think there isn't something bigger going on here. It's not like this would be the first time the Redskins did the wrong thing with a player.

Greek, understand what the statement means.

Arrington didn't get any field reps in mini-camp or OTAs because of his knee. And that made it hard for Lavar to pick things up. Taylor didn't either, because of his choice, but he's not failed to pick it up and, in fact, was one of the earlier comments mentioned by Williams about Taylor during camp.

Marcus Washington said on this VERY board the same thing about Lavar's inability to work in the system all off season hindering his knowledge of it. It's not a secret. There's no ulterior motive on the part of the team here. Lavar's playing time is in Lavar's hands.

I don't believe that Art. You are buying the team line here but in this case, if you listen close to what Gibbs is mumbling about this situation, we are getting half truths at best.

So let me ask you something. If Lavar doesn’t understand the system why was he the starting OLB last year before he got hurt? In fact look at his two full first games last year and look at what Holdman has done this year. Not even close and you are telling me this guy somehow forgot all he learned last year? Something doesn't hold water here man.

I mean for Lavar to be last in the OLB depth chart is downright stupid. I love the skins but I am not going to swallow all this bull being given to us by Gibbs and Gregg. Honestly when the D is on pace to break the NFL records in least sacks and least turnovers playing within the scheme excuse doesn't mean much to me or any other skins for that matter because the only player we have that can turn those HUGE problem areas around is Lavar.

$h1t rolls downhill. When you sue your employer and gripe about conspiracies to the media, your company stock is sure to decline. My bet is this comes downhill from either Danny boy or JoeJoe (or both) and GW is just following orders. There are also financial implications. Keeping Lavar out of the Pro Bowl ensures he won't become a free agent early (trade anyone?) and there was also a bonus for playing in 98% of special teams plays. Do we really believe Lavar is not good enough to play ST? They just don't want to pay him. Anyone who claims this "demotion" is performance based or based on an inability to grasp a system is not looking at it clearly.

Get a grip, LA just needs to get with the program, if it was the money thing then Gibbs would not have worked in the off season to help him reach an agreement with the team.

I don't believe that Art. You are buying the team line here but in this case, if you listen close to what Gibbs is mumbling about this situation, we are getting half truths at best.

So let me ask you something. If Lavar doesn’t understand the system why was he the starting OLB last year before he got hurt? In fact look at his two full first games last year and look at what Holdman has done this year. Not even close and you are telling me this guy somehow forgot all he learned last year? Something doesn't hold water here man.

I mean for Lavar to be last in the OLB depth chart is downright stupid. I love the skins but I am not going to swallow all this bull being given to us by Gibbs and Gregg. Honestly when the D is on pace to break the NFL records in least sacks and least turnovers playing within the scheme excuse doesn't mean much to me or any other skins for that matter because the only player we have that can turn those HUGE problem areas around is Lavar.

Players don't march in lock step with the coaches. Lavar's fellow linemate told you what his problem was. That you don't believe it is what's wrong with you. You refuse to discuss the situation from a position of shared reality. You don't like the facts, so you deny their existence and feign ignorance at the real facts. There's nothing more to it than you know save some behavior on Lavar's part as the drama queen who doesn't actually seem to even LIKE the defense.

Until you guys come to the realization that Lavar simply is struggling a bit not only to know his assignments, but to be sound within them, you will find the lack of playing time a wonder. Fortunately, because it's so obvious, it's not actually a wonder.

Williams would love Lavar on the field. Lavar does help us in areas of weakness. Unfortunately, Lavar is COUNTING on this fact to get him on the field rather than getting to a point where everyone is comfortable his play won't hurt the team more than it will help. Your strict refusal not only to refuse the reasons but that there are reasons at all limits you, and ONLY YOU, in the debate.

How about play Clemons or Campbell. They could also activate and play Keasey. In fact, activating Keasey and adding him to the special teams unit would be a better use of the active roster spot than having LA sit on the bench.

I've got to admit I'm tired of searching each play to see if La got in and I'm even more tired of the t.v. shots of him on the bench. At least if they deactivate him he won't be a game day distraction anymore -- and there won't be any more post-game questions about why he didn't get in.

Get a grip, LA just needs to get with the program, if it was the money thing then Gibbs would not have worked in the off season to help him reach an agreement with the team.

Ever think that maybe Lavar actually had a good legal case for proving the contract was fudged without disclosure? Of course they are going to settle if they are concerned the full amount could be awarded. Bottom line is that he is not playing and it is not performance based because plain and simple, they play backups and even some starters on ST and LA is not getting in on ST plays.

Oh and I have a grip thank you.:silly:

Players don't march in lock step with the coaches. Lavar's fellow linemate told you what his problem was. That you don't believe it is what's wrong with you. You refuse to discuss the situation from a position of shared reality. You don't like the facts, so you deny their existence and feign ignorance at the real facts. There's nothing more to it than you know save some behavior on Lavar's part as the drama queen who doesn't actually seem to even LIKE the defense.

Until you guys come to the realization that Lavar simply is struggling a bit not only to know his assignments, but to be sound within them, you will find the lack of playing time a wonder. Fortunately, because it's so obvious, it's not actually a wonder.

Williams would love Lavar on the field. Lavar does help us in areas of weakness. Unfortunately, Lavar is COUNTING on this fact to get him on the field rather than getting to a point where everyone is comfortable his play won't hurt the team more than it will help. Your strict refusal not only to refuse the reasons but that there are reasons at all limits you, and ONLY YOU, in the debate.

Wow man talk about a reach here by you. "Lavar's fellow linemate"? Why take his word and not Portis statement when he said we need this guy in there?

"You refuse to discuss the situation from a position of shared reality". You want reality Art? How about 0 sacks and 0 turnovers in 3 games. How about Holdman averaging barely a tackle a game. How about the skins having given more big runs in the past two games than they gave all last year. That is reality my friend and not how a player doesn't practice well, or in the beginning it was we are moving him slow in the lineup or when the situation and questions first came up "we are still drainning fluid from his knee".

"You don't like the facts, so you deny their existence and feign ignorance at the real facts". Why you like the facts Art. You are ok with the team not getting a finger on the QB? Or its ok for Bell to have a 2 TD and 10.6 yards per carry day against our D. I sure as hell don't. Especially when I see Holdman with the stats he has after every game. Thats the facts Art and not if Lavar is practicing well or not.

"Unfortunately, Lavar is COUNTING on this fact to get him on the field rather than getting to a point where everyone is comfortable his play won't hurt the team more than it will help." And you are saying I am making assumptions and are blind of the fact. I guess Lavar has told you this is his game plan.

Listen man honestly Lavar is not even my favorite skin. Never has been in fact. I wasn't posting on this board because if I was I would have stated I would rather have kept Bailey than Lavar in 2003. But bottom line we need pressure on the QB (especially against KC) and turnovers and face it he is the only player in the past that has shown he is more than capable of doing this.

Gibbs benched Ramsey because I am sure in his mind he couldn't affort to "wait" on him to get it. Great decision. I say start Lavar because we can't affort no turnovers and no sacks against KC, and certainly we can't "wait" on Holdman.

Ever think that maybe Lavar actually had a good legal case for proving the contract was fudged without disclosure?

Nothing fudged, Lavars agents F**ked up plain and simple, I personally got sick of him whining about it. If he did not like the contract let him give back the bonus money and void the contract. I am sure the skins would have accepted that proposal

Archived