Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Whither LaVar? Withering, Apparently - Kornheiser

spanishomelette

Art,

I for one haven't forgotten Lavar's boneheaded plays that he's made in the past. Such as leaving his assignment to cover FB Jim Finn? in the flat to chase Kerry Collins in the backfield. Collins simply dumped the ball out in the flat for a long gain, which led to the game winning FG. He is one of my favorite Redskins, however, his blatant disregard for his assignments have soured me regarding his intelligence, ego, and desire to be the best. People have seen this kind of thing all of Lavar's career, but until now know one has really shown much backbone besides Williams. Although, I can remember Marvin Lewis sitting Arrington down in a few games because of the same problems he still has today.

When I sit in front of my television and watch player profiles on guys like Ted Bruschi and Ray Lewis, and how they spend hour after hour watching film to discover player and team tendencies, etc, I am truely amazed. Simply because, Lavar as intelligent as he may be off the field, doesn't strike me as a guy who loves his craft or the intricacies of the game.

I can recall an interview a few years ago on Sunday Countdown on ESPN with Trotter, Lavar and Jesse Armstead. There were questions about Marvin Lewis' style of defense and it's discipline and precision. Lavar's choice words when that topic was brought up? "Yeah, that's all well and good, but sometimes you've just got to let a baller ball." Trotter and Armstead got kinda quiet, and looked at Arrington kinda funny. It revealed what kind of attitude he has. Lavar will go out there, play hurt, give it his all physically,but he will also disregards assignments, and positioning to chase plays. He's basically like a dog that can be lured into anything. Not to mention the countless times he jumped offsides on 3rd down to preserve other teams drives. He often overruns sacks because he is so anxious to get to the quarterback, he never breaks down and makes the solid tackle.

As far as Jake Plummer and the bootleg, which many of you feel Lavar would be a beast at defending, let's not forget how many times Lavar was beaten on Drew Bledsoe bootlegs in Buffalo during the Spurrier regime and many other times because he cannot stay home and be disciplined. Brian Mitchell who played for 2 division rivals commented that Lavar is someone those teams always knew that could bait or trick because of over aggressiveness. He has cost the Redskins games in the past.

A tackle 10-12 yards downfield because you were out of position in the 1st place is not a good thing. It may pad the stats, but it's shows a weak link (mentally) in the defense, and that's not acceptable.

My favorite post in this whole mind-numbing thread! :cheers:

ART - after the other night's discussion, I have come around more to your way of thinking. But another poster has asked you several times to address the issue of deactivating Lavar, and I'd like to see your answer. If Lavar can't be trusted to even spell WH on a few plays per game, then why would you think he would be such a valuable insurance policy if WH or another LB went down? With that logic, shouldn't they just deactivate him, and dress another player who may be trusted to play at least a few plays?

Whither LaVar? Withering, Apparently

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001366.html

By Tony Kornheiser

Tuesday, October 11, 2005; Page E02

Exactly what are the Redskins planning for LaVar Arrington -- other than to sit him on the bench like an overripe plum and let him rot from the inside?

A reportedly healthy LaVar didn't play one down against Denver, after playing just two downs against Seattle. It seems a campaign by Redskins coaches to quarantine LaVar is in full bloom.

When asked about LaVar's inert status on the defense, Joe Bugel said, "You can't be a flash; you can't make one big play, then make four or five bad plays." Gregg Williams said that players who want to play "have to do it in practice." And according to Bill Maas, a Fox analyst who worked the Denver game, Williams pointed out LaVar "hadn't been to any of the offseason programs." Sounds like they're building a case, doesn't it?

Bugel said the most important thing about the Redskins' defense is "discipline." Maas said Williams explained his defense is "precise." The inference is LaVar is neither disciplined, nor precise, that he is -- to use a word often associated with him -- a "freelancer."

But let's hold on a second. Last time I looked, LaVar had played good enough defense on some darned good defensive teams here to be elected to the Pro Bowl three times -- which is two more times than anybody else on that defense. And just a few months ago, in June, this same Gregg Williams was quoted saying, "It's no secret that I'm a better coach when LaVar is on the field." So, wha' happened?

It's hard to believe a healthy LaVar Arrington isn't good enough to get into the game. (If I owned the Redskins, I'd want to see that with my own eyes.) But if the Redskins don't want LaVar, they should deactivate him, and not strand him out there in his clean jersey so it looks like they're deliberately trying to embarrass and punish him.

:applause: :applause: :notworthy :applause: I TOTALLY agree!!! I could've have said it any better than my man Tony K. :applause:

My favorite post in this whole mind-numbing thread! :cheers:

ART - after the other night's discussion, I have come around more to your way of thinking. But another poster has asked you several times to address the issue of deactivating Lavar, and I'd like to see your answer. If Lavar can't be trusted to even spell WH on a few plays per game, then why would you think he would be such a valuable insurance policy if WH or another LB went down? With that logic, shouldn't they just deactivate him, and dress another player who may be trusted to play at least a few plays?

And I've answered in this thread and other threads the odd solution being to deactive Lavar. Now, it may come to that because Lavar can't keep his mouth shut. But, the team has a LOT of backups who may not get playing time if the game situation doesn't allow.

The fact the stafff doesn't trust Lavar to play yet over others doesn't mean he wouldn't play if there was an injury to the others. Ray Brown will play anywhere from 0 to three plays a game. But, you don't deactivate him because the guy ahead of him currently gives you the better player on the field at the moment. You have him as prepared as possible to step up and in if needed.

Lavar is on the roster. Maybe the team would prefer that not to be the case and will rectify that later. But, as long as he's here and he's a backup player, and he's healthy, he needs to be as ready as possible to help us in case there's a problem ahead of him. Again, though, with his yapping, it may be that you just sit him out of disgust.

And I've answered in this thread and other threads the odd solution being to deactive Lavar. Now, it may come to that because Lavar can't keep his mouth shut. But, the team has a LOT of backups who may not get playing time if the game situation doesn't allow.

The fact the stafff doesn't trust Lavar to play yet over others doesn't mean he wouldn't play if there was an injury to the others. Ray Brown will play anywhere from 0 to three plays a game. But, you don't deactivate him because the guy ahead of him currently gives you the better player on the field at the moment. You have him as prepared as possible to step up and in if needed.

Lavar is on the roster. Maybe the team would prefer that not to be the case and will rectify that later. But, as long as he's here and he's a backup player, and he's healthy, he needs to be as ready as possible to help us in case there's a problem ahead of him. Again, though, with his yapping, it may be that you just sit him out of disgust.

Art,

I still think you're being disengenous here.

First, I would hope that our coaches would never, ever sit a player over personal pique -- sure he's a loud mouth, but you don't hurt the team because LA hurt your feelings.

Second, I still think the roster spot could be better used on game day. You've already got two backup LBs ahead of LA. In your Ray Brown example, he's the primary back up at guard and tackle -- he's the next guy going in. Not so with Lavar. Several guys have to go down before LA sees the field.

Our special teams has given up two blocked kicks and our field position has sucked all year. We need help on teams more than we need a fifth active LB who never touches the grass.

I'll buy what you're selling on LA -- that he's to great a liability to be allowed on the field -- only if you apply that logic consistently. If he's so bad that he's he can't be allowed in the game at all, then you can't argue he's a vital backup who needs to be ready at a moments notice.

Let me put this another way. Gregg Williams has stressed that there are no starters and no backups on his D. He has said that everyone who suits up will see the field and that he will maximize his schemes by finding a use for every player, getting them all on the field. Yet LA, we are told repeatedly, is not a starter and is only included in some mystery package that never gets used. GW's rhetoric doesn't match the reality on the field.

GW tells us that LA needs to show it in practice. LA says he barely sees any snaps. Now, LA could be lying. We know from Jansen that LA is not playing on the scout team. We know from Tandler's blog that LA was worked some with the D line, though I don't think we've seen him in that capacity much this season. I understand GW's need to see it in practice first, but you've got to give a guy some reps --no? Again the rhetoric doesn't seem to match the reality.

Let me conclude by reminding everyone that I an NO Lavar apologist. I understand that LA may be playing this situation and that he may be lying to us. I hate to think that of him, but it may be true. We're fast approaching the point where the coach-speak is going to have to end. Gibbs or Williams needs to put a difinitive end to this and not because we the fans "deserve" to know. They need to end this because it's bordering on becoming a detriment to the team.

Play him, sit him, deactivate him -- whatever the coaches think is best. But the rhetorical dancing needs to stop.

AMF,

The fact Lavar may be putting himself further on the bench by refusing to put he effort required in while having the effort to spend cycles on radio programs may well be part of the equation here, especially given the lack of honesty in his statements -- like no one is talking to him when we all saw he and Gibbs talking.

As for whether a roster spot can better be used on game day, you're flatly wrong. Could we better use a roster spot on game day by not having a backup offensive tackle? Several guys do not have to go down for LA to see the field. Right now it appears ONE would, but, he may be pushing himself further down.

Our special teams suffers from a kicker who got one of his kicks blocked all by his lonesome by a guy standing on the line of scrimmage. But, in any case, Lavar would do nothing to help there. We have dedicated teams players who do it better than Lavar, though, it would be interesting to see him break the wedge.

No one said Lavar's a great liability not to be allowed on the field. Merely that he's more of a liability, currently, than the player ahead of him and you don't put him on the field until that's no longer the case or that player is no longer available.

The simple fact he's not good enough to start does not equate to him not being good enough to play, period. Ray Brown isn't good enough to start, but, he's not a total liability. He's a backup who has a role and may be needed in case of injury.

Why you keep considering backups who aren't as good on the field as our starters as total liabilities is simply wrong of you. Lavar just grades out below Holdman given the mistakes he makes. He will either stay there or go ahead at some point.

There's no mystery as to what Lavar is currently in on. We may not use Heavy Jumbo for Brown and he may not play. We may and he might. We may not get to the simple, prevent defenses required for Lavar. Or we might.

No backups in the league get reps like starters. Starters get reps once the season starts. Backups prepare mentally, show their understanding and show something when they do get a chance. Lavar will get a chance to show something. He did against the Bears and was pretty bad on a few plays apparently.

It is mind boggling to see people calling for backups to get starters reps. It doesn't happen in the world. Backups have ways to get reps. Lavar's not doing that yet. If he wants to do it, he can start by being available to his coaches at around 4 p.m. instead of on the radio. He can make that step right now and sit in Lindsay's office for him to show he wants to play rather than to talk about wanting to play.

Art,

Forgive me for not quoting your whole post, these things are getting too long to read.

I'm not insinuating LaVar should be in on teams, rather that someone else who's normally inactive, but good on teams could take his roster spot.

I think you're wrong that one guy would have to go down for LaVar to get in. I think it's clear from the current LB rotation and situational use that Clemons and Campbell will both be used before him. You claim LA is simply behind Holdman, but it's worse than that -- he can't even beat out Clemons and Campbell for their package spots. He's apparently so bad at playing his assignments that only the rookie Keasey is behind him.

I don't as you claim, consider backups as total liabilites. From what the coaches (and you) have told me, LaVar is the one who's a total liability. He freelances and simply can't be trusted to play the defense as called. If that's the case, then sit the fool for real and use his spot elsewhere.

I just don't see where it's more important for the team to carry a fifth LB who only plays in prevent defense, but only three active CBs on game day.

I think you're wrong that one guy would have to go down for LaVar to get in. I think it's clear from the current LB rotation and situational use that Clemons and Campbell will both be used before him. You claim LA is simply behind Holdman, but it's worse than that -- he can't even beat out Clemons and Campbell for their package spots. He's apparently so bad at playing his assignments that only the rookie Keasey is behind him.

Campbell is the backup MLB. I don't see him at all in the games, and the stats back that up. I also think Clemons is only used in spot duty, so I do think if anyone went down, Lavar probably would go in.

Let me put this another way. Gregg Williams has stressed that there are no starters and no backups on his D. He has said that everyone who suits up will see the field and that he will maximize his schemes by finding a use for every player, getting them all on the field. Yet LA, we are told repeatedly, is not a starter and is only included in some mystery package that never gets used. GW's rhetoric doesn't match the reality on the field.

I think he gets everyone prepared to start, because they could come in at any time. Williams does have a tendency to use everyone on the roster at some point.

Jason

:helmet: If they have no confidence, trade him for someone they feel confident in, I just don't see the practicality in keeping someone like Lavar on your roster when you could get someone who will play in return... I know about the cap restrictions but they might as well cut to the chase, take the hit and get on to winning football games, everyone says this is not a distraction but it is.....:logo:

:cheers:

Greek, understand what the statement means.

Arrington didn't get any field reps in mini-camp or OTAs because of his knee. And that made it hard for Lavar to pick things up. Taylor didn't either, because of his choice, but he's not failed to pick it up and, in fact, was one of the earlier comments mentioned by Williams about Taylor during camp.

Marcus Washington said on this VERY board the same thing about Lavar's inability to work in the system all off season hindering his knowledge of it. It's not a secret. There's no ulterior motive on the part of the team here. Lavar's playing time is in Lavar's hands.

Art,

I respect your opinion and I know you have more access than us little trolls :D However based on what I have seen being a season ticket holder and one that go's to as many summer camps as possible, I disagree with your opinion. Marcus Washington is of course going to side with the coaches. But I have watched him since LaVar isn't playing and although he is adequate he isn't even in LaVar's league! Not in popularity nor in his athletic ability. I further argue that LaVar IMHO is WAY smarter than Wilber Marshall and if he could play without knowing the playbook, SO CAN #56. We all have a right to voice our opinions and thoughts and while you rank high here on ES I think your mindset may be skewed as that ES is getting alot of insight and props from Danny Boy Wonder. The bottom line is next to Sean Taylor LaVar Arrington is the best athlete on this team and I want some player to have the balls to be real. 3-1 is masking it but let us get to 3-3 or 3-4 and then see what happens! LaVar needs to be out there instead of a journey man like Holdman and seriously I think GW, JG and DS needs to apologize to all of us who has supported this team during the years of shame when LaVar turned the season around with his interception for a TD against the Panthers, when he ended Aikman's career and when he put that vicious hit on Emmit Smith. What Gibbs did over a decade ago doesn't amount to much IMHO especially when LaVar has done nothing but help this franschise over and over again. :2cents:

Art,

I respect your opinion and I know you have more access than us little trolls :D However based on what I have seen being a season ticket holder and one that go's to as many summer camps as possible, I disagree with your opinion. Marcus Washington is of course going to side with the coaches. But I have watched him since LaVar isn't playing and although he is adequate he isn't even in LaVar's league! Not in popularity nor in his athletic ability. I further argue that LaVar IMHO is WAY smarter than Wilber Marshall and if he could play without knowing the playbook, SO CAN #56. We all have a right to voice our opinions and thoughts and while you rank high here on ES I think your mindset may be skewed as that ES is getting alot of insight and props from Danny Boy Wonder. The bottom line is next to Sean Taylor LaVar Arrington is the best athlete on this team and I want some player to have the balls to be real. 3-1 is masking it but let us get to 3-3 or 3-4 and then see what happens! LaVar needs to be out there instead of a journey man like Holdman and seriously I think GW, JG and DS needs to apologize to all of us who has supported this team during the years of shame when LaVar turned the season around with his interception for a TD against the Panthers, when he ended Aikman's career and when he put that vicious hit on Emmit Smith. What Gibbs did over a decade ago doesn't amount to much IMHO especially when LaVar has done nothing but help this franschise over and over again. :2cents:

Very good post and thanks a lot. Just when I thought I could put the issue to rest in my mind you go and make me wonder WTF all over again. :laugh:

Art,

AH,

All this is well and good, save the fact that Lavar has made some great plays for us, but he's also been a very poor player who's hurt the team time and time again as well. Again, one defensive coordinator gave up on him. Another staff (Marty and his brothers) wouldn't touch Lavar with a 10-foot pole if he were a free agent tomorrow and he played his best ball for them. Rhodes didn't play him as a 16-game starter and Lavar hated Rhodes.

Now Williams has simply benched him. It's not like Lavar has been the ideal citizen here. I LOVE Lavar. The things he can do when he's right are amazing. But, there is absolutely NOTHING he's done for this franchise that comes close to putting him ahead of Gibbs. Simply because he was a big-name, inspiring player on a bad or average team since he arrived doesn't mean he's helped it out. Gibbs has already done more in one year than Lavar has done in five simply by changing the culture. One that does not treat players like Lavar that well.

Archived