Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI Top 10 Safeties

bcl05

Check it out. No ST in the top 10 safeties. He made the pro-bowl alternate last year as a rookie, and has nothing but upside...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jeffri_chadiha/08/30/chadiha.safeties/index.html

Safety dance

Top 10 players at the NFL's hottest defensive position

Posted: Tuesday August 30, 2005 11:31AM; Updated: Tuesday August 30, 2005 11:31AM

Ed Reed led the NFL with nine interceptions last season.

AP

There's a subtle trend happening in today's NFL secondaries and Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed is the face of it. Gone are the days when cornerbacks with primetime flair held sole ownership of the spotlight. Now the safeties are getting more love. Just look around. The more complex offenses become and the more difficult it gets for cornerbacks under the illegal-contact rule, the more safeties are being asked to become disruptive forces.

Some are better at coverage. Others excel in the box. But one thing is certain: They're all assuming more responsibilities. That's why a guy like Reed -- last year's NFL Defensive Player of the Year -- is so valuable. He can do whatever a defensive coordinator needs. But there are plenty of others besides the Ravens star around the league. Here's SI.Com's list of the 10 best playmakers lining up at safety these days.

1. Ed Reed, safety, Ravens: He's not just the best safety in the NFL. He's the best defensive player. Last year he led the league with nine interceptions and a league-record 358 return yards while adding two defensive touchdowns (one on a 106-yard interception return and the other on a 22-yard fumble return). This year he'll be even more dangerous in Baltimore's 46 defense. "You can see he really studies the game," says Jets head coach Herm Edwards. "He doesn't just walk out there and play. He waits for his opportunity to make the play and when you think he's not going to make the play, that's when he gets you."

2. Brian Dawkins, free safety, Eagles: Like Reed, there is little Dawkins can't do on a football field. He covers like a cornerback. He hits like a linebacker. He reads plays as if he's wired into the headset of the opposing offensive coordinator. Last season the Eagles asked him to play a more conservative centerfield-type role in order to help young cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown. Now that they've proven themselves, expect Dawkins to become a freewheeling defender again.

3. Roy Williams, strong safety, Cowboys: This two-time Pro Bowler will be more of a terror because he's returning to his natural position after playing free safety last season. He's at his best when he's in the box, where he can support against the run and blitz. He's not great in coverage but opponents say that doesn't matter. He likes intimidating opponents with his physical presence, even if he crosses the line. "He's gotten me with a few cheap shots," says Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer. "His hits tend to be either late or borderline shots."

4. Rodney Harrison, strong safety, Patriots: He was supposed to be declining when New England signed him two years ago. Now he looks like one of the best free-agent acquisitions in the past decade. There isn't a safety in the league better at run support. His leadership is just as valuable. His presence is one key reason the Patriots' injury-ravaged secondary never skipped a beat during last year's Super Bowl run.

5. Troy Polamalu, strong safety, Steelers: Though he's not gifted in coverage, few safeties have his combination of speed and tenacity. The Steelers use him as an extra linebacker in their 3-4 defense and he's needed only two seasons in the league to find his niche as a Pro Bowl talent. "This guy is a hammer," says one AFC scout. "He's a big-hit, big-play defender who brings a lot of energy to that defense. He plays with so much velocity that he'll run right through blocks to make plays."

6. Michael Lewis, strong safety, Eagles: This fourth-year player is a rising star. He's improved his coverage skills and already possessed the range and the vicious hitting ability that make him the perfect complement to Dawkins. "Lewis is just like Dawkins because he loves to get up in the box and he's not afraid to cover people," says Giants running back Tiki Barber. "Having those two together really makes their defense tough because you can never get a good read on who's doing what back there."

7. Donovin Darius, strong safety, Jaguars: He was known mostly as a banger until the last couple years, when he started catching 100 balls a night on his Juggs machine in order to improve his play-making skills. The result: Last season he set career-highs with five interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

8. John Lynch, free safety, Broncos: Age is catching up with him -- he turns 34 in September -- but he still made his sixth Pro Bowl last season after his first campaign as a free safety. He loves rattling receivers who stray into his area and is rarely out of position. The only major knock on his game is his lack of coverage skills. He's never intercepted more than three passes in any of his 12 NFL seasons.

9. Darren Sharper, free safety, Vikings: Minnesota is excited by his presence in its secondary. Until Reed came along, Sharper was the game's best ball-hawking safety, a player with great range, ball skills and the ability to bait quarterbacks. Green Bay thought his game was slipping enough that they had to cut him for salary-cap relief, but so far the Vikings think they have a prize. He'll team with Corey Chavous to give Minnesota one of the savviest safety combinations in the league.

10. Tony Parrish, strong safety, 49ers: Yes, he struggled in 2004. But he also intercepted 16 passes during his first two seasons in San Francisco ('02 and '03), which is all the more impressive because he's known for his hitting. New head coach Mike Nolan will find ways to get Parrish back to top form. As Reed's defensive coordinator in Baltimore over the past three years, he knows how to put talented safeties in position to make big plays.

Parrish doesn't belong on this list. Neither does John Lynch. Darius is probably the most overrated safety in the NFL. Remember how few teams were interested in trading for him this past offseason :)

I agree that Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins are the top pair in the NFL. From what I have seen these guys deserve the pub they get.

Taylor is young and has not proven himself to the wider league yet to become a household name, but I agree with those that think he could have snuck onto the list ahead of Parrish or Lynch.

Taylor will get his accolades -- just wait. But this guy shows how clueless he is when he puts John Lynch on the list. The guy is so past his prime now it's not even funny -- all he's good for is an illegal hit every now and then that he never gets flagged for.

I said this in Around the NFL...

Maybe the list is the way the it is because they are all established veterans who at this time are the faces of that have changed and are currently changing the position. Taylor is a good player, but the fact is that he was a rookie who 1) Didn't make the Pro Bowl 2) Teams didn't game plan to keep away from him. He is a hitter and is decent in coverage, but teams didn't game plan for him at all. I know the NFC East didn't

He was a unproven talent. Maybe he'll be added to the list this year or next.....but as long as Dawkins and Reed are playing, he won't even get higher than #3 on the top FS lists.

are you $hitting me?????????????????????????????

Taylor is not in the top 10????? I hope someone posts that on his locker...

Lord no I can imagine that scenerio..

ST will shoot up the joint and then spit of someone while drunk driving on his way to a drunk deal..

It's not always good to feed the fire =(

are you $hitting me?????????????????????????????

Taylor is not in the top 10????? I hope someone posts that on his locker...

I don't know that he belongs on the list...yet(Then again, I know for certain that Lynch doesn't). Definitely hope he sees the article though, anything to fuel the fire.

Taylor's going to be a monster in this league, especially considering the strength of the defense around him. At this point though, as far as I'm concerned, he's mostly potential. Give him another year or two and I think it's more likely than not that he'll be of the same caliber as Reed.

Number 5, as you will see from my post, I didn't think Taylor deserved to be rated ahead of Reed or Dawkins. What I was saying, though, is that he definitely is competitive if not more than that vis a vis a guy like Parrish who didn't do much in 2004 to deserve consideration here. And as mentioned, Lynch was such a liability in coverage last year he could have been wearing a number in the 50's or 90's out there :)

Maybe the list is the way the it is because they are all established veterans who at this time are the faces of that have changed and are currently changing the position. Taylor is a good player, but the fact is that he was a rookie who 1) Didn't make the Pro Bowl 2) Teams didn't game plan to keep away from him. He is a hitter and is decent in coverage, but teams didn't game plan for him at all. I know the NFC East didn't

He was a unproven talent. Maybe he'll be added to the list this year or next.....but as long as Dawkins and Reed are playing, he won't even get higher than #3 on the top FS lists.

Interesting. So should Dawkins play for say 3 more years, there's no way that Taylor could pass him during that time? :rolleyes:

And I've guess we've just decided that Ed Reed is now the best in the league until he retires? I know the Skins coaching staff feels Taylor can be the best FS ever at some point in time. But what do they know? ;)

Fact is at this point in his career he is better than Dawk at the same point and has more ability and upside as well ;) Dawk didn't change a thing, by the way he is the true essense of a free lance free saftey, most of his picks are not great athletic plays they are bad throws by the Quarterback where Dawk is playing centerfield. Dawk is All pro and was the best saftey in the league for a couple of years but Taylor could be one of the best ever.

Saying teams didn't game plan for Taylor is a crazy statement. I remember his name comming out of Mcnabbs mouth quite a bit last year in a interview.

This is laughable, nothing more. If teams didn't game plan for him, as Number 5 suggests, they might want to think about it this year. He shut down T.O. twice last year and had Pinkston looking like a girl on national TV. The guy is an animal and opposing players are scared of being hit by him.

I dont think anyone is saying ST is better than anyone in the top 5 PERIOD.

But of the guys 7-10 none of them had stellar seasons.....and furthermore who the H3LL as ever gameplanned to counter Donovin Darius or Tony Parrish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotflmao:

it's a joke.... right?!

Tell me about it. That's the first thing I thought when i saw this list. Sure he's good at horsecollaring and injuring people but he's a complete liability in coverage. ST hit harder and covered 10 times better than Roy Williams. Oh well, SI is a joke anyways.

This is laughable, nothing more. If teams didn't game plan for him, as Number 5 suggests, they might want to think about it this year. He shut down T.O. twice last year and had Pinkston looking like a girl on national TV. The guy is an animal and opposing players are scared of being hit by him.

Don't forget about what he did to Moss No saftey in the league could have made that one play mid field.

Not to brag but Coles got the snot knocked out of him

And held on to the football

Tell me about it. That's the first thing I thought when i saw this list. Sure he's good at horsecollaring and injuring people but he's a complete liability in coverage. ST hit harder and covered 10 times better than Roy Williams. Oh well, SI is a joke anyways.

Sean Taylor maybe a better cover safety then Roy, but Taylor blows more assignments and is still undisciplined in his coverages. Also Roy has quickly proven to be a locker room and on the field leader. A concept that Taylor has yet to embrace.

Archived