Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI Top 10 Safeties

bcl05

I said this in Around the NFL...

Maybe the list is the way the it is because they are all established veterans who at this time are the faces of that have changed and are currently changing the position. Taylor is a good player, but the fact is that he was a rookie who 1) Didn't make the Pro Bowl 2) Teams didn't game plan to keep away from him. He is a hitter and is decent in coverage, but teams didn't game plan for him at all. I know the NFC East didn't

He was a unproven talent. Maybe he'll be added to the list this year or next.....but as long as Dawkins and Reed are playing, he won't even get higher than #3 on the top FS lists.

That is retarded. Teams do plan against Sean Taylor in fact I think you will see teams not even look at his side of the field this year. For him not to be on this list is ridiculous. The players he have played against have said it. When all is said and done those other guys on that list won't come close to Taylor.

By the way, decent in coverage. You better watch some tape buddy. Ask Chad Johnson how good Sean Taylor is in coverage. See the highlights of the Bengals preseason game against the skins. I dare you to show me one safety you would rather have in run support over Taylor. His off the field problems kept him off that list.

Wasn't he an alternate last year for the pro bowl?

BTW, choosing Darren Sharper just shows how clueless this author is. He's horrendous. Of the 50 starting safeties in the league, he wouldn't be among the top 25.

I disagree. He was injured all of last season, plagued with hammy problems, I believe. That's extremely limiting, and certainly led to this unfortunate "One step behind" syndrome he seemed to be suffering from. He's extremely intelligent and has good coverage skills, although he has never been a great run guy. Most importantly, though, the guy is a playmaker.

He shouldn't be top 10, but he'd be top 20 in my book.

Taylor will easily be top 10 next year this time, and not even SI will be able to keep him off the list.

Do you have a time machine?

I know. It seems like such an incredible reach that a great player like Dawkins could see enough decline in his performance as he enters his mid 30s to have a 22 year old phenom blessed with the greatest ability in the history of the position pass him. Imagine what a collosal upset that would be.

No one made this list that did not have at least 2 years in the league. I have no real problem with it. While there are couple of guys on the list who may be getting a bit long in the tooth, they are still savy dangerous vetrens and I doubt either of them would have bitten on the play fake that Taylor bit on in Dallas last year that cost us that game.

He was a unproven talent. Maybe he'll be added to the list this year or next.....but as long as Dawkins and Reed are playing, he won't even get higher than #3 on the top FS lists.

While I agree he is not there now, I think you stretching to suggest he can never get there. He took over for Reed in Miami with zero problem at all and had better numbers when he was done. This suggests that he has better physical tools (or did at that level of play). It has been suggested by many with more football knowledge than either of us will ever have that Taylor could be the best drafted since Ronny Lott and, if he can keep his head on straight long enough, could redefine the position much like LT did the LB position. Only time will tell, of course, but to say he can never be better than #3 behind Dawkins and Reed is a bit over the top at this stage in his career. You could have said Reed would never be better than Dawkins two years ago too and you would now be wrong.

Clearly, Reed and Dawk are head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I'd put Polamalu and Harrison next. I think a very compelling argument could be made for ST to be in the mix in the 4-7 range.

Next year he'll be right in the conversation for the top 3-4 spots.

No one made this list that did not have at least 2 years in the league. I have no real problem with it. While there are couple of guys on the list who may be getting a bit long in the tooth, they are still savy dangerous vetrens and I doubt either of them would have bitten on the play fake that Taylor bit on in Dallas last year that cost us that game.

While I agree he is not there now, I think you stretching to suggest he can never get there. He took over for Reed in Miami with zero problem at all and had better numbers when he was done. This suggests that he has better physical tools (or did at that level of play). It has been suggested by many with more football knowledge than either of us will ever have that Taylor could be the best drafted since Ronny Lott and, if he can keep his head on straight long enough, could redefine the position much like LT did the LB position. Only time will tell, of course, but to say he can never be better than #3 behind Dawkins and Reed is a bit over the top at this stage in his career. You could have said Reed would never be better than Dawkins two years ago too and you would now be wrong.

For the last time that play in the Dallas game was not Sean Taylor's fault. GW even said it in the post game. Springs was not suppossed to release that guy. Taylor had coverage on Keyshawn toward the middle. Who at the time was the deepest reciever. That is what ST was pinching towards.

For the last time that play in the Dallas game was not Sean Taylor's fault. GW even said it in the post game. Springs was not suppossed to release that guy. Taylor had coverage on Keyshawn toward the middle. Who at the time was the deepest reciever. That is what ST was pinching towards.

Got a link to the GW quote you reference here? I read all the articles Bubba posts religiously and I do not remember reading this anywhere, nor do I remember anyone else here ever referencing it and I am sure someone would have as Taylor got hammered on this board after that play for biting up on Keyshaw.

Got a link to the GW quote you reference here? I read all the articles Bubba posts religiously and I do not remember reading this anywhere, nor do I remember anyone else here ever referencing it and I am sure someone would have as Taylor got hammered on this board after that play for biting up on Keyshaw.

Let me teach you something about playing defense. When a safety drops back in prevent his eyes are to stay on the deepest reciever possible. At the time he committed to Keyshawn he was it. Also when you have Shawn Springs on the 4th reciever you don't need a safety presence over top. Plus that pattern was going towards the sidelines where Shawn Springs had the cutoff. Sean Taylor almost made the play. When I figure out how to link to an past interview from the radio I will show you so you can hear it from an NFL coach. Shawn Springs also said the same thing in the post game interview. Move along buddy.

You know what is funny, if you gave all 32 NFL teams their choice of saftey to have, ST would be in the top 3, easy.

Oh, I know everyone would jump at the chance to have an unproven FS who could end up in Jail soon on their team. Where do I sign!

Sorry, I don't think "everyone in the NFL" wants a safety from Thug U on their roster.

I know right.. Dawkins @ #2? What a joke.. I thought RW should have been higher also bubba! Good point!

No Roy SHOULD NOT be higher. He played poorly last year, but also he played out of his natural position (He's really a SS). What the hell is with all the homers in this thread, Cowboy and Skin alike.

Roy should be probably 5th or 6th based off of last year, with potential to move up this year now that he's back at SS (and looking good too).

Sean Taylor, at best, should be 9th or 10th, if that. He's only been in the league a year. Any talks of "top 5" are blindly homer.

BDawk DOES deserve to be number 2. He's a damn good safety. :2cents:

No Roy SHOULD NOT be higher. He played poorly last year, but also he played out of his natural position (He's really a SS). What the hell is with all the homers in this thread, Cowboy and Skin alike.

Roy should be probably 5th or 6th based off of last year, with potential to move up this year now that he's back at SS (and looking good too).

Sean Taylor, at best, should be 9th or 10th, if that. He's only been in the league a year. Any talks of "top 5" are blindly homer.

BDawk DOES deserve to be number 2. He's a damn good safety. :2cents:

Thorn Within... I was just messing with Bubba! I respect your opinion on RW though..

This list lost credibility at this point:

3. Roy Williams, strong safety, Cowboys: This two-time Pro Bowler will be more of a terror because he's returning to his natural position after playing free safety last season. He's at his best when he's in the box, where he can support against the run and blitz. He's not great in coverage but opponents say that doesn't matter. He likes intimidating opponents with his physical presence, even if he crosses the line. "He's gotten me with a few cheap shots," says Giants wide receiver Amani Toomer. "His hits tend to be either late or borderline shots."
So lemme get this straight. In your write-up of your #3 safety, you're acknowleging that he can't do pass coverage?

Oh, I know everyone would jump at the chance to have an unproven FS who could end up in Jail soon on their team. Where do I sign!

Sorry, I don't think "everyone in the NFL" wants a safety from Thug U on their roster.

Boy, there's the pot calling the kettle black!

Dmitrius Underwood.

Alonzo Spellman.

Terry Glenn.

Keyshawn Johnson.

Shall I continue with the Dallas List 'o Malcontents and Criminally Insane?

This list lost credibility at this point:So lemme get this straight. In your write-up of your #3 safety, you're acknowleging that he can't do pass coverage?

I think he's saying that, since Roy is moving to Strong Safety again, his deficiencies in Coverage are not as big of a problem. He's not awful, he just is NOT a natural Free Safety. With Roy returning to the position that brought him to prominence, I think he will be a top 5 caliber safety. I think that's why he has him ranked at number three, because of the return to a position where he will be playing closer to the line and going after runners/qbs more. :cheers:

Although I think Taylor belongs on the list for his one season of productivity he needs to do it for a couple a seasons and stay out of the negative spotlight off the field before this type of accolade is given to him.

Sharper, although still a good player, shouldn't be up there though.

:point2sky

Archived