Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI Top 10 Safeties

bcl05

Boy, there's the pot calling the kettle black!

Dmitrius Underwood.

Alonzo Spellman.

Terry Glenn.

Keyshawn Johnson.

Shall I continue with the Dallas List 'o Malcontents and Criminally Insane?

Uhh...what? He said that Sean Taylor is someone everyone would want on their team. I'm saying, no, all 32 franchises would NOT want Sean Taylor, considering his attitude and origin.

I'm not saying that the Cowboys wouldn't want him. But I'm willing to bet there are a good number of teams that would rather have a safe bet without an attidute instead of the thug. This has nothing to do with Keyshawn, Glenn, or a couple former Cowboys.

Here is the Real List

Ed Reed

Roy Williams

Troy Palamalu

Sean Taylor

Rodney Harrison

Brian Dawkins

Michael Lewis

Mike Brown

Donovan Darius

Corey Chavous

That is my list. Homerism or not ST will make his presence felt in a huge way this year.

Pretty good. But switch Sean for Roy...Roy hasn't shown anything yet...he can hit...WOW so can most linebackers.

I said this in Around the NFL...

Maybe the list is the way the it is because they are all established veterans who at this time are the faces of that have changed and are currently changing the position. Taylor is a good player, but the fact is that he was a rookie who 1) Didn't make the Pro Bowl 2) Teams didn't game plan to keep away from him. He is a hitter and is decent in coverage, but teams didn't game plan for him at all. I know the NFC East didn't

He was a unproven talent. Maybe he'll be added to the list this year or next.....but as long as Dawkins and Reed are playing, he won't even get higher than #3 on the top FS lists.

Dawkins is very good but hes not getting any younger, Taylor has the ability to be one of the best ever, Dawkins has the ability to be one of the best of an era. :cheers:

I think he's saying that, since Roy is moving to Strong Safety again, his deficiencies in Coverage are not as big of a problem. He's not awful, he just is NOT a natural Free Safety. With Roy returning to the position that brought him to prominence, I think he will be a top 5 caliber safety. I think that's why he has him ranked at number three, because of the return to a position where he will be playing closer to the line and going after runners/qbs more. :cheers:

In the age of versatility, a safety's inability to play both positions is a reason to drop him down a notch or 2. Dawkins, Reed, and Taylor don't suffer from that inability. RW does.

RW makes the highlight film hit. But the other 3 force the game-changing turnover. I think 32 teams would rather have the latter.

Let me teach you something about playing defense. When a safety drops back in prevent his eyes are to stay on the deepest reciever possible. At the time he committed to Keyshawn he was it. Also when you have Shawn Springs on the 4th reciever you don't need a safety presence over top. Plus that pattern was going towards the sidelines where Shawn Springs had the cutoff. Sean Taylor almost made the play. When I figure out how to link to an past interview from the radio I will show you so you can hear it from an NFL coach. Shawn Springs also said the same thing in the post game interview. Move along buddy.

Why don't you just lighten up on the insulting tone there, friend. I think I know a bit about playing defense in the NFL, at least as much as the next guy who has never played or coached at the NFL level and what I saw on that play was not prevent defense. They were man up, so much so that Springs jammed Crayton at the line which is typically not a prevent tactic. Now I am no expert but in my time spent watching the NFL you don't jam at the line like that if you don't have some help waiting deep because once the receiver gets off the jam the CB has to turn and run rather than just run which puts him at a disadvantage.

There was already coverage in the middle of the field and Keyshawn was well covered. In fact, Taylor being there would have made Keyshawn triple covered.

It is wonderful that you heard all that in live interviews. Great. What I am telling you is that I don't remember a soul mentioning it here (and it would have gotten a lot of play) nor was it ever in print. Those are two things I am pretty sure would have happened had it been said so publicly. I don't remember Springs ever giving up a teammate like that either, even if it was obviously true.

Go back and watch the clip in the Filmroom. I think you will see something a bit different from what you think you saw.

Taylor has good coverage and hititng ability(obviously). He can cover Moss one on one, Williams covers T.O and has to illegally tackle him because he couldn't get the job done. Bottom line is Taylor can do both, while Williams just goes for a big hit every time, all the cowgirls fans can piss and moan all they want...but a safety has to have some kind of coverage ability in general

This is complete garbage... he picked off TO, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt in the preseason... defended the ball agains Randy Moss and ****ed Todd Stinktson... all as a rookie. Brian Dawkins got trucked by Jeff Garcia come on. So you mean to tell me Roy Williams is more effective than Sean Taylor? Ed Reed is good but he's not the best defensive player that goes to Ray Lewis... When Ed Reed does something that Rod Woodson couldnt then I will respect him more... and i've also seen Ed Reed get scared to make a few tackles last year... Sean Taylor never got scared. So if Sean Taylor took the place of Ed Reed he wouldnt make just as many plays?

This is complete garbage... he picked off TO, Chad Johnson, Torry Holt in the preseason... defended the ball agains Randy Moss and ****ed Todd Stinktson... all as a rookie. Brian Dawkins got trucked by JEd Reed is good but he's not the best defensive player that goes to Ray Lewis... eff Garcia come on. So you mean to tell me Roy Williams is more effective than Sean Taylor? Ed Reed is good but he's not the best defensive player that goes to Ray Lewis... When Ed Reed does something that Rod Woodson couldnt then I will respect him more... and i've also seen Ed Reed get scared to make a few tackles last year... Sean Taylor never got scared. So if Sean Taylor took the place of Ed Reed he wouldnt make just as many plays?

This post is garbage.

With statements like "Ed Reed is good but he's not the best defensive player that goes to Ray Lewis... " is just plain ridiculous......

Another winner is ... "defended the ball agains Randy Moss"....I'm sorry but isn't that what a DB is supposed to do? Dawkins played twice against Randy Moss, once in the playoffs, once on Monday Night, so did Lito, Sheldon, and Michael.

So did Roy and Darren. That's what TOP DBS DO! They play the best so for your arguement to be based on something that Sean Taylor is supposed to do rather than something that no-one else is capable of doing shows that you really need to think before you type....

The only thing that you are saying here is that he deserves more credit for basically doing what all other DB have been doing for years. It reminds me of when a child washes dishes for a day or two and then expects to get paid a week's allowance. Most kids wash dishes for free these days, and you want to get paid extra for it? :doh:

Taylor has good coverage and hititng ability(obviously). He can cover Moss one on one, Williams covers T.O and has to illegally tackle him because he couldn't get the job done. Bottom line is Taylor can do both, while Williams just goes for a big hit every time, all the cowgirls fans can piss and moan all they want...but a safety has to have some kind of coverage ability in general

ST cannot cover Moss one on one! RW does have "some kind of coverage ability in general"... WTF are guys thinking?

ST cannot cover Moss one on one! RW does have "some kind of coverage ability in general"... WTF are guys thinking?

you moron he did cover moss one on one, and defended against a jump ball, which is part of moss' repetoir, like I said before, RW should just line up at the LB position because he's gonna cost your boys points in the secondary

you moron he did cover moss one on one, and defended against a jump ball, which is part of moss' repetoir, like I said before, RW should just line up at the LB position because he's gonna cost your boys points in the secondary

So what he cover Randy Moss? Alotta people went one on one with Randy Moss. In the NFC Divisional Playoffs, Roderick Hodd played him M2M all game long, but does that make him the BEST DAMN CB IN FOOTBALL?

So what he cover Randy Moss? Alotta people went one on one with Randy Moss. In the NFC Divisional Playoffs, Roderick Hodd played him M2M all game long, but does that make him the BEST DAMN CB IN FOOTBALL?

your starting up now huh....well dawkins deserves to be on that list certainly but Michael Lewis.....lol

He also covered Chad Johnson deep in pretty much CB-like coverage.

He was also the cat put on Larry Fitz in college and shut him down. Put on 1-on-1 like a CB. Now, I'm not saying Sean Taylor should BE a CB, but he's shown that ability to go against top-flight WRs like a CB would.

Puleeeze Number 5 when was the last time you saw Dawk run down the field stride for stride with a elite reciever? Your boy plays center field and delievers big hits and catches bad throws. Get a grip.

Sean still has a lot to prove but he has shown flashes of doing things NO OTHER SAFTEY in the league does.

Puleeeze Number 5 when was the last time you saw Dawk run down the field stride for stride with a elite reciever? Your boy plays center field and delievers big hits and catches bad throws. Get a grip.

Sean still has a lot to prove but he has shown flashes of doing things NO OTHER SAFTEY in the league does.

I must have missed Sean Taylor showing anything that can't be duplicated by Ed Reed.

Boy, there's the pot calling the kettle black!

Dmitrius Underwood.

Alonzo Spellman.

Terry Glenn.

Keyshawn Johnson.

Shall I continue with the Dallas List 'o Malcontents and Criminally Insane?

Redman you are really stupid or just ignorant

Underwood and Spellman had medical conditions that are well documented. A MEDICAL CONDITION

Glenn and Johnson have done nothing but produced when healthy and have not been in any legal trouble.

Did a medical condition make Taylor drive drunk. Did a medical condition tell him not to call Gibbs back. Did a medical condition tell him to pull a gun on someone or drive away and come back and hit them (premeditated)

You can talk about malcontents all you want BUT.

Your great Joe Gibbs who is a so called Christian turned the blind eye on Dexters drug addiction and inability to read. What a thing for a good christian to do. He knowingly did not get him any help with either of his problems. Knowing that his football career would be short and that he would soon have to live life after football.

You would have faired better mention Newton or Irvin, but you choose to show your ignorance and make fun of 2 people with a well know medical condition.

There is no doubt that Sean Taylor has more strength than Reed because he is more of a physical specimen, but citing random big hits/deflections does little to separate him from other safeties or corners. Lito Sheppard deflected more than one pass from Moss, and Brian Dawkins suplexed Coles. I've never seen Sean Taylor suplex a WR, but I fail to see what that proves.

Sean Taylor is a nice safety with great potential, potential to maybe become the best safety in football, but that's hardly a given.

It's Reed by a long shot, followed by Dawkins, and then another drop to the rest of the league.

Taylor will be better than Dawkins soon, if he stays out of jail, because he's on the rapid upswing, while Dawkins' skills will begin to erode in probably 2-3 years, but I've seen no evidence whatsoever that he will pass Ed Reed. Not that it isn't possible, but there is no reason for me to think otherwise right now.

Archived