Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

XBOX 360 pricing released - 2 choices

Skinned

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/17/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

Price of Xbox 360? It depends.

Microsoft to offer two versions of its new console this holiday

August 17, 2005: 9:33 AM EDT

Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It could be a confusing holiday season for some holiday shoppers.

Microsoft Wednesday announced two pricing plans for its next generation video game console. When the Xbox 360 goes on sale this holiday season, buyers will be able to purchase a no-frills version for $299.99 or a bells-and-whistles version for $399.99.

The less-expensive core system will feature only the Xbox 360 console with a controller, which has to be plugged into the system to play games. The $400 option will come with a 20 GB hard drive, a wireless controller, a headset (used for talking with other players online) that stylistically matches the Xbox 360 and, for a limited time, a remote control allowing users to more easily access the machine's multimedia functions.

The pricing, announced today at the German Games Conference in Leipzig, Germany, takes Microsoft (Research) into relatively uncharted territory. Typically, initial console prices have not exceeded $299.99 (both the original Xbox and Sony's (Research) PlayStation 2 were sold at that price).

"If you look at the processing power that's available in the Xbox 360, you'll see it is more powerful than what you can get at the PC level today for a reasonable price," said Mitch Koch, vice president of retail sales for Microsoft's games division.

While both versions of the Xbox 360 will be available simultaneously, Microsoft plans to have more of the $400 version on shelves, which could confound some of Santa's helpers as Christmas draws near.

The company would not say how many of each version it would have available. Nor did it further clarify its worldwide launch date for the system beyond "Holiday 2005". (Most observers expect it to be released in November.)

Microsoft also announced the price points for over a dozen Xbox 360 accessories, including stand-alone wireless controllers ($50), detachable 20 GB hard drives ($100), headsets ($20) and Xbox 360 faceplates ($20), which allow users to customize their machine.

Those hoping to take advantage of the Xbox 360's oft-touted high definition graphics will either need to purchase the $400 bundle or buy separate component cables (which will sell for $40) along with the basic system. The lower-end package will ship with standard AV cables.

Gamers who buy the $400 version of the system will also find their hard drives pre-loaded with music, gaming videos and more, though Microsoft declined to specifically say what it planned to include on the hard drive.

The hard drive might seem like an expensive luxury to some shoppers, particularly those buying for someone else this holiday season, but for current Xbox gamers, it's a critical piece of equipment. Without a hard drive, the Xbox 360 will not be able to play any games from the current Xbox, including the phenomenally successful "Halo 2".

The prices unveiled Wednesday apply to both North American and European consumers (the numbers are the same in Europe, though they're in Euros, not dollars). Japanese pricing was not announced. Koch said those prices would be unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show in Japan this September.

Hardware's not all that's going to cost more as the next generation of video games begins. Most major publishers have quietly acknowledged that major games will cost $59.99, a $10 jump over current prices.

Yeap. That's pretty steep for a game console. It better do more than play games. This definitely has put me into a wait and see what Sony does. At $299 with a HD, I could see it. But add the $100 on top of the $59/game price and that prices it out of my range for a game console.

I pity the parents this christmas with kids that "must" have this only to realize it's going to cost them $500+.

I've heard rumors that the PS3 is going to be even more expensive. Somewhere around $500...

I don't know if I believe it, though. In the end I'll probably by both consoles. Right now I own an XBOX, but that's only because it's so much better than the PS2. The XBOX 360 and PS3 will basically be identical.

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

It's 399. Why try to bs?

Your going to have to buy that version to play old Xbox games.

you will be able to play all the old xbox games on the 360 right? i need to know because i plan on getting the 360 and i wanna know if ill be able to play madden 2006 on it.

I'll spend that time getting the xbox and nintendo consoles to match the ps2 and play all the current games much cheaper...

Get the PS3/360 when the PS4/720 come out......

*Disclaimer* Redskins go deep and get great stats then yeah.. I'm playing Madden 2007 on the PS3*

Originally posted by big#44

you will be able to play all the old xbox games on the 360 right? i need to know because i plan on getting the 360 and i wanna know if ill be able to play madden 2006 on it.

madden 06 nextgen will be on the 360, its a launch title.

as far as picking it up, i'll wait. the only game i'm interested in is godfather and thats an 06 release....

I was one of the dorks that waited in line for the PS2 to come out, just so I could tell all my friends I had it. This time around, no way am I jumping at the bait. I'm going to be the smart consumer, wait till both 360 and ps3 are available and make an educated decision. Plus by the time Sony launches the latest Playstation the xbox 360 will probably drop in price just to stay competitive.

Originally posted by DjKam1

I was one of the dorks that waited in line for the PS2 to come out, just so I could tell all my friends I had it. This time around, no way am I jumping at the bait. I'm going to be the smart consumer, wait till both 360 and ps3 are available and make an educated decision. Plus by the time Sony launches the latest Playstation the xbox 360 will probably drop in price just to stay competitive.

I doubt just to stay competitive, if they do, it'll be just to still some of Sony's thunder. Considering how the PS3 is going to be $399 anyway, Microsoft might take their cue from sony years ago, and keep their system at the same price the way Sony did with the PS2 when the Xbox was launched.

Originally posted by TheREALJBird

Not quite....if you read the specs for each system the PS3 will be more powerful in terms of hardware, but i'm not taking anything away from the 360

Don't get caught up in the specs, buddy. Even the game developers are disgusted at all the half-lies and BS that gets slung around when the hardware developers are marketing their products.

guys this is brilliant

all the true gamers and people buying it themselves are going to fork over the $400

all the kids whose parents are buying it are going to pay for the $300 dollar one

wow, i have to give them credit on this one

Archived