Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey completed 67% of his passes, haters pull down your skirts

boobiemiles

Originally posted by boobiemiles

What I want my QB to do is recognize what the d is trying to do and take what's given. Ramsey did that today in my eyes.

I thought you said you didn't watch the game.

That said, it's just one game. No need to panic.

Yet.

Look, he clearly was not what anyone was hoping he would be tonight.

Didn't lead us to a TD drive, and didn't complete anything downfield.

That is what the hope around here was.

However he was not downright horrible either. The int looked like a slipped ball to me, as he released it. It could happen considering how hot it was down there.

The other plays he just took the safe play rather then force anything. Which is a good sign.

Did he get us downfield tonight? No. Did he lead us to a TD drive? No

Did he look completely lost and totally horrible? I don't think so

To the person that posted Ramseys Reading is fine.....

I actually think that is the thing he has to work on most. It looks to me that he holds onto the ball too long because he doesnt get the reads quick enough. Most QBs in this league throw the ball to a spot and expect the receiver to be there (Example is sometimes qbs will throw the ball while the receiver isnt even looking and coming out of a break) because the window for success is that small. The game is too fast and the defenders are too good to not hit the receiver when he gets open because he isnt gonna stay open forever and the D will recover (unless its one of those plays where the D blows the coverage, misses an assignment, or someone falls down).

It seems by the time patrick gets the read.... If he hasnt been sacked or flustered out/around the pocket.... Its too late and he either has to force the ball in there with his rocket arm, find another receiver ala the dump off, hold the ball too long and take the sack, or throw it away. He seems to pick up steam as he goes along each year though and plays better in the regular season. His heart and desire to win has always been his strength and that is uncoachable which is good. There is still time to work on things, i hope he gets it done.

My main concern is that this 2005-2006 first string redskins O through preseason game #1 (yes i know it was only a few drives but still) looks exactly like the Redskins O of 2000-2005. Incosistent Qb play (Over 8 QBs have started for us since then if not more), Untimely penalties (a penalty on a 3rd down conversion that lead to a punt, the penalties leading to carolina having about 8 plays inside the 10), Untimely Turnovers (the fumble into the endzone, Pick on the first drive). Hopefully we can work on these things and get it together for the season. I still feel this Division is wide open and with some luck (If we FINALLY can get some breaks instead of being the team on the opposite end) we can win the division and make the playoffs.

Bottom line is though i feel the skins will pull it together. A lot of the problem i think is the revolving door that is our coaches and players. Ramsey is now working with a new group of WRs, and everyone knows the tons of changes in the past. im sure the timing between ramsey and the WRs will get better with practice. Wow does it feel good to be watching/discussing skins football again. Heres to a good season! HAIL SKINS!

I pray everyday Joe doesn't think like you.

Of course he doesn't. But tell me - how much did Joe spend on Brunell again?

Hey, I was calling for Brunell to be benched last year. I'm just saying that he looked money tonight and that if they continue to each play in the manner they played tonight, Brunell will be the starter soon.

Well this is my 1st post, but i'd like to say that it really bothers me how Ramsey locks on to his recievers. Tonight he had plenty of time to make his reads and get rid of the ball. It seems like Brunell and Campbell were more comfortable and chill. Ramsey looked scared each play.

Originally posted by Zazzaro703

To the person that posted Ramseys Reading is fine.....

I actually think that is the thing he has to work on most. It looks to me that he holds onto the ball too long because he doesnt get the reads quick enough. Most QBs in this league throw the ball to a spot and expect the receiver to be there (Example is sometimes qbs will throw the ball while the receiver isnt even looking and coming out of a break) because the window for success is that small. It seems by the time patrick gets the read.... If he hasnt been sacked or flustered out/around the pocket.... Its too late and he either has to force the ball in there with his rocket arm, find another receiver ala the dump off, hold the ball too long and take the sack, or throw it away. He seems to pick up steam as he goes along each year, and plays better in the regular season. There is still time to work on things, i hope he gets it done.

Hear hear.

i am not "hating" on ramsey, but those stats don't reflect the game, same with the scrimmage stats, ramsey went 5/8 in that game but he did horrible. now i am not jumping on any brunnel bandwagon until Ramsey has had a true shot at being QB. One scrimmage and preseason game mean nothing, brunnel did pretty bad at the scrimmage in my opinion

For anyone who cares-

I am a Cowboys fan who didn’t even see the game. Just a reality check for you guys.

#1 – The Skins did not try to win this game tonight. None of the plays ran tonight were run to “win” the game. This is a practice game. Both teams were focused on practicing certain plays in certain situations.

#2 – Ramsey is not a great player. He finished behind Bledsoe and Testaverde in QB ratings last year. He has never even finished with a QB rating of over 76. Do you guys fear the Dallas QBs (I wouldn’t)? Don’t expect a pro bowl out of this young QB.

#3 – The Skins have VERY weak WRs. Who is his #1 WR? Who is he supposed to throw to?

In summary, this is one practice game. Don’t hang the QB because he didn’t put up the numbers that you would have put up in Madden 05. He is what he is. You could play the rook or Brunell, but they are what they are.

Ramsey could be a very good QB, he just needs the game to slow down for him. It may do that with a year or two in a system that protects the QB.

P.S. – I find myself in a strange position. I actually think a Skins player is better than the Skins fans think he is. That usually only happens after a player has left in FA!

Originally posted by Nerm

For anyone who cares-

I am a Cowboys fan who didn’t even see the game. Just a reality check for you guys.

#1 – The Skins did not try to win this game tonight. None of the plays ran tonight were run to “win” the game. This is a practice game. Both teams were focused on practicing certain plays in certain situations.

#2 – Ramsey is not a great player. He finished behind Bledsoe and Testaverde in QB ratings last year. He has never even finished with a QB rating of over 76. Do you guys fear the Dallas QBs (I wouldn’t)? Don’t expect a pro bowl out of this young QB.

#3 – The Skins have VERY weak WRs. Who is his #1 WR? Who is he supposed to throw to?

In summary, this is one practice game. Don’t hang the QB because he didn’t put up the numbers that you would have put up in Madden 05. He is what he is. You could play the rook or Brunell, but they are what they are.

Ramsey could be a very good QB, he just needs the game to slow down for him. It may do that with a year or two in a system that protects the QB.

P.S. – I find myself in a strange position. I actually think a Skins player is better than the Skins fans think he is. That usually only happens after a player has left in FA!

Thanks for that. BTW Dallas sucks.

look we all know what ramsey's problem is that last yr he played in spurrier's offence he took a hell of a beatin and i think he still hasn't recovered from it.Another thing is a qb can't stand back there uncomfortable try and throw the ball down the field , this is his forth yr and its up to him to have some pose and be the qb that we all wanted him to be. :eaglesuck

After reading the post by some of you guys I thought Ramsey had the worst game of his life. But after looking at his stats I don't know why you guys are so hard on him. I guess you don't know the game. Before we say that Ramsey will loose games for us, will you pay attention to the stats. Ramsey not Bruhell, or Campbell is playing against the first team defense. Ramsey stats are 8/12, 77 yards, and 1 int. That means he completed 67% of his passes for 9.63 yardsa completion. That is all I wanted to see. Look Ramsey is not Peyton Manning, nor does he have to be. But I'll tell you something, Peyton had 9.17 yards a completion last year; that was the highest in the league last year. If you project Ramseys attempts by combining both Bruhell and his from last year, Rams would have 509 completions for 4901 yards in 05. Obviously we know that Rams is not throwing for 4900 yards, but he doesn't have to. All Ramsey has to do is manage the game. If he can complete close to 70% of his passes I promise you that we will win most of our game. I've read that Ramsey didn't look comfortable, or poised. Well I'll tell you something completing 67% doesn't show me jitters. I think Ramsey is thinking to much. He needs to relax and let it rip. I'm not on Ramsey bandwagon, but I know that the only way we can start winning is if he is our starting QB. I can sleep with my QB completing 67% of his passes. I can't believe some of you guys, it sounds like your time of the month. By the way ITS ONLY PRESEASON.

Do you honestly think completion percentage decides if a QB played bad or not? He looks shaky with the ball, no confidence, and I dont think hes thrown one touch pass since becoming a redskin.

1. Gibbs' O never was about putting up 40pts a game. It is about ball control, running the ball to set up some shots downfield. Of course we didn't come out and start lobbing bombs every down, that isn't the plan. It is something that needs to be worked on, but some people seemed to think it would be a different O altogether. Gibbs didn't change his offence, he made some adjustments.

2. The game was the first of the year. Practice, training camp, etc aren't good enough of preperation for the season, that is why the IS a preseason. This game was to find out where we are at, not to prove we can throw bombs. Yes we found out that we aren't as far along as we had hoped, but there is still time for adjustments and practice, no? Personally I won't give up on the O until I at the very least see it with all the starters in for a whole game.

3. Our O wasn't good last year, it didn't need to be. All it has to be is average. If we had put up average numbers last year we would have made the playoffs. I think too many of us want perfection, after some ajustment, I think we have the potential to be average...

4. IT IS ALL SPURRIERS FAULT!!! (as pointed out by Runportisrun)

Brunnel looked really friggin' good. I never hated on him and remember how amazing he was in Jacksonville. If he is finally healthy, I can't see anyone on our roster being better than him. I don't see why we can't extend a hand to Brunnel if Ramsey always has apologists in his corner. In 06', it might be Ramsey that is gone and Brunnel with the starting position. Campbell will be ready by midseason and might take over the reigns. I used to love the idea of Ramsey because he had so much over Wuerffel and Mathews. Nowadays, we have guys that are far better on the roster and Ramsey is getting left behind. That said, let us see Ramsey play a few more preseason games before we come up with any definate conclusions.

I didn't get to see the game because i'm in New York right now(Got blessed with a game from the G-Men*sarcasm*) But anyways from how it sounds it's not too bad. I mean, this was the first game and the Panthers have a pretty good secondary as it stands.

I'm sure Patrick will have a good game next time, I sure as hell can't see you guys putting in Brunell again...that **** was brutal...

"Ramsey stats are 8/12, 77 yards, and 1 int. That means he completed 67% of his passes for 9.63 yardsa completion. That is all I wanted to see. Look Ramsey is not Peyton Manning, nor does he have to be. But I'll tell you something, Peyton had 9.17 yards a completion last year; that was the highest in the league last year. If you project Ramseys attempts by combining both Bruhell and"

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if someone else made this point but Manning had 9.17 yds per ATTEMPT last year to lead the league. Ramsey's yds per attempt last night was about 6.5 yds per attempt. I can't comment on how he looked because I only got to see what the NFL network allowed me to see which was just a shade more than the amount of time they spent showing it raining in Cle.

It seems that 6.5 yds per attempt would put him near the bottom last year and his int % of over 8% from last night is very high compared to last year's QB stats so I guess if someone wants to fret about a QB's performance in the first preseason game they can find reason to fret just from the stats if they wish.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=pass&sort=ypa&league=nfl&season=2&year=2004

Ramsey may have looked bad, but he played better than he did a year ago. He just had one bad pass that you guys want to slam him for.

Here's the proof:

8/9/2004 vs Denver - 3/8 for 12 yards, no interceptions, no TD

8/13/2005 vs Carolina - 8/12 for 77 yards, 1 interception, no TD

I have a feeling he'll simmer down over the next 4 weeks. There are a lot of offensive improvements. Namely in yardage, depth and lack of penalties. This will make Ramsey's job a lot easier as the season progresses.

Actually 'I think' he looked better than Vick...

And there are many here that would love to have Michael Vick...

Three plays later, on third down and five from the Ravens 15, Vick dropped back and was sacked by Ravens cornerback Deion Sanders, who also knocked the ball free from Vick's hands. Baltimore recovered and took possession at their own 18-yard line with 1:34 to go in the quarter.

And that wasnt a behind the back run by with his eyes closed...

Originally posted by keithabbott

Ramsey may have looked bad, but he played better than he did a year ago.

In all fairness, that's not saying a whole lot.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed after hearing all his talk, then seeing the happy feet and how often he patted the ball. He had great pass protection, much better than I anticipated. The INT was a lousy pass, period. His stint had everything in it that he had been criticized for in the past.

I'm not going to throw him under the bus after one pre-season game, but I do admit I'm a little disappointed with what I've seen so far.

I'm not going to criticize Patrick YET. Anyone who watched the game lastnight and is not resorting to blind homerism, knows that Patrick has some serious work to do. I do think if he doesn't show any improvement next week we could be in for yet another long year.

Did anyone else see Moss and Patten's body language after Patrick missed them? Not good.

After thinking about it overnight, I am still a little disappointed in Ramsey. I am going to reserve more judgement for Friday night. I don't put much stock in preseason stats good or bad. He looked unconfortable in the pocket, and I expected more. Comparing his first preseason game last year to this year is meaningless imho. The circumstances are different this year. He knows the offense better and he has been practicing in that offense all offseason and two weeks of preseason. The preseason games don't matter, but most good players show momentary flashes during the preseason indicating they are just waiting for the season to start. Ramsey didn't show me enough. I just don't believe Ramsey can simply play poorly in the preseason and expect to just turn it on come 11 Sept.

Originally posted by Pocono

"Ramsey stats are 8/12, 77 yards, and 1 int. That means he completed 67% of his passes for 9.63 yardsa completion. That is all I wanted to see. Look Ramsey is not Peyton Manning, nor does he have to be. But I'll tell you something, Peyton had 9.17 yards a completion last year; that was the highest in the league last year. If you project Ramseys attempts by combining both Bruhell and"

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize if someone else made this point but Manning had 9.17 yds per ATTEMPT last year to lead the league. Ramsey's yds per attempt last night was about 6.5 yds per attempt. I can't comment on how he looked because I only got to see what the NFL network allowed me to see which was just a shade more than the amount of time they spent showing it raining in Cle.

It seems that 6.5 yds per attempt would put him near the bottom last year and his int % of over 8% from last night is very high compared to last year's QB stats so I guess if someone wants to fret about a QB's performance in the first preseason game they can find reason to fret just from the stats if they wish.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=pass&sort=ypa&league=nfl&season=2&year=2004

What I was saying is Peyton is the benchmark at 9.17 last year. Ramseys yards per pass was 9.63 last night. 9.63 is a good number. Ity means that Rasey averaged almost a first down per pass. That's not bad.

Archived