Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you wish Spurrier well?

I love Spurrier in college. He'll turn SC around as he has a great reputation in the recruiting community.

I wish him the best and can't wait to see how well SC does this year and next. i'm guessing 7-8 wins this year and he'll be dominating the SEC in no time.

Doc Walker said that his system did work in the nfl. He stated that he always saw WR's wide open from the pressbox.

I actually had a discussion with a friend of mine about this. Spurrier was a bad head coach, but he could get receivers open. Maybe might be a pretty good offensive coordinator material...

Maybe he could get them open because he would not leave enough people to cover pass rushers? What do you fellas think?

He seemed like he was admitting that the NFL was too much for him, until I read that article that he blames his failure on the fact that he couldn't get his back-up QB. - Yeah right:thumbsup: - I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that he was the first one to leave Redskins park every day, wouldn't block for his QB, wouldn't run the ball, wouldn't make the team practice in the rain and wouldn't adjust his college playbook. .. yea, it was all the back up QB, yeah that's it.

Originally posted by AlexRS

I actually had a discussion with a friend of mine about this. Spurrier was a bad head coach, but he could get receivers open. Maybe might be a pretty good offensive coordinator material...

Maybe he could get them open because he would not leave enough people to cover pass rushers? What do you fellas think?

That's the point. - It's not so hard to get WR's open down field when there's 5 defenders sitting on top of your QB in the backfield.

Originally posted by mhd24

Doc Walker said that his system did work in the nfl. He stated that he always saw WR's wide open from the pressbox. The problem was that we didn't have the qb to make it happen.

He needed a QB who could make long accurate throws from the ground with 4-6 defenders on him in a pile. We just didn't have that here.

I wish Spurrier lots of luck. I really think hes a good coach, and COULD be at the NFL level. I dont like it that he walked out on the team but Ive always thought there was more to the story than we know. I do believe that Danny boy wasnt all innocent in Spurriers departure. Marty then Spurrier bein ousted just seemed mighty fishy, and still does. Anyways, best of luck to him...

He didn't leave in a very classy way but he has football smarts and realized his plan wouldn't work with the Redskins in year 3. He held himself more accountable than most coaches out there.

He needed a decent veteran QB which the Redskins didn't have when he arrived. They also had 3 bad interior starting linemen and mediocre receivers. His system will work with a decent cerebral QB and just average receivers. He obviously over-estimated his system by not pursuing better veteran QB's and RB's (not Canidate). He also had a bad DC and OL coach his second year (not the first time in his career).

I believe he wishes the Skins well despite his boasts (possibly under the influence) at a booster meeting saying he didn't succeed because he couldn't choose his backup QB. I can't picture him saying that publicly while sober (and being serious). He's smarter than that.

I wish him well. He made college football in the SEC fun. He was so appreciated in FL that a local radio station there will be broadcasting all South Carolina games. He'll vie for an SEC title by his third year.

S.S is hardly an after thought. He came, he saw, he got the hell out. For reasons of his own. I won't get so wrapped up in this stuff where I would wish him failure or anything like that. I woke up and went to work and stuff with him as coach back then the same way I do now with Coach Gibbs as coach, ( few more aches in pains at times these days though ;) ) Sure. Good luck Steve. Hope you find your passion for ball again. :yawnee:

I have washed my hands of Spurrier. The fact is he didn't give his best effort despite commanding the highest coaching salary in the league. Instead of working harder, he quit.

I resent all the negative press generated about the Redskins FO because he wasn't committed. His hiring at the time was considered a good move...but since he was a part time clown, Snyder & Co took the rap.

I'd feel better if he'd donate all his unearned "profit" for walking away to charity. He sure didn't work up a sweat for his 2 year stint in Washington.

Spurrier would never be able to be a success in the NFL unless he was surrounded by a veteran coaching staff, players who would believe in his system, and a capable QB to run his system.

DW may have helped made Spurrier a success if he had the Hogs from the old days protecting him. He didn't and thus without the physical tools of most NFL QB's, he failed. Grossman may have been better, but he would have been better with a few years of NFL experience under his belt. There was no WAY he was going to have success with an inexperienced Ramsey at QB.

Spurrier's loyalty to friends often clouds his judgement. He needed more seasoned coaches on the staff instead of a bunch of people cutting their teeth along with him. That hurt as much as anything. He needed Buges in there telling him his protection wasn't going to work in the NFL.

I think Spurrier was more shocked at the fact the players didn't seem to respect or respond to him early on. I think he expected professionals would be able to execute his system even more precisely than college kids. When they seemingly couldn't even execute the center-QB exchange without jumping offsides and numerous other penalties - I think it just frustrated him to no end wondering why they couldn't get it right. His college teams certainly didn't have trouble executing the snap - why couldn't professionals?

When Snyder wouldn't let him keep DW, I knew his tenure was over. When Spurrier stopped calling the plays it was REALLY over - you knew he had been defeated.

In the end he wound up in a no win situation. Knowing he couldn't succeed, if he quit people would call him a quitter. If he stayed, people would say he was wasting Snyders money. I suppose that is what boobiemiles would have preferred. I'd like to meet the first person on this board who would walk away from $15 million of GUARANTEED money. Follow it up with a polygraph, then get back to me.

Spurrier will succeed at USC, but hopefully not when he plays Florida, although if he won it would be a great thumb in the eye of our administration. And yes it does pain me to see him at USC when he should have been at UF, but that's another story. Here's hoping he goes 11-1.

In the end I sum it up as - great college coach, interesting character, failed NFL coach, good person, led us back to Coach Gibbs. Look forward.

Archived