Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Projected Starting QB rankings/bob matthews

denverdan

Idiot:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050704/SPORTS0101/507040336/1007/SPORTS

Drew and J.P. rank 25, 27 on this QB list

(July 4, 2005) — Nothing could spark more July 4 fireworks in this space than my ratings of the NFL starting quarterbacks for the 2005 season.

The rankings are based mostly on projected performance for this season, with recent past performance also a prime factor. Raw individual talent, accomplishments in the more distant past, durability and recent injuries, and complementary talent are lesser considerations. The quality of backup QBs on each team is not part of the equation.

1. Peyton Manning (Indianapolis). Strong and accurate arm. Peerless field general who calls his own plays and makes adjustments instantly. Student of the game and superbly prepared for every game. Not a scrambler but quick feet and a feel for the pass rush keep sacks to a minimum. Durability is the cherry on top of this QB sundae.

2. Tom Brady (New England). No QB makes better decisions and is more consistent in the clutch. Others have more raw talent but lack his savvy and resourcefulness. Perfect 9-0 in the postseason (including victories in three of the last four Super Bowls) and 6-0 head-to-head against Manning.

3. Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia). He wasn't good in Super Bowl XXXIX, but his abundant assets are the main reason his Eagles got there. The arrival of a top-flight wide receiver in Terrell Owens contributed to his big numbers last season. A great scrambler, though he is increasingly reluctant to do it. An exceptional team leader who has handled negative comments from the mouthy Owens with remarkable constraint.

4. Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota). Few QBs have had more physical talent. Very strong arm, though not the most accurate. Runs like a tank. Has reduced his turnovers and become a confident leader. Will miss departed Randy Moss, but not as much as most other QBs would.

5. Kerry Collins (Oakland). My No. 1 QB pick to pop this season. He's had an up-and-down career but is one of the NFL's best deep throwers and has impressive complementary talent in wide receivers Randy Moss, Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry and Doug Gabriel, new heavy-duty RB LaMont Jordan, and a huge and versatile offensive line.

6. Michael Vick (Atlanta). So far, opponents fear his legs (7.5 yards per carry last season) much more than his powerful but erratic arm and savvy under fire. His fifth NFL season, so it is time to step up. Has to improve his completion percentage and reduce his sacks (46 last season). I believe he will.

7. Matt Hasselbeck (Seattle). My second QB pick to pop this season. Good athlete who can improvise and has the arm to make all the plays.

8. Brett Favre (Green Bay). He'll turn 36 Oct. 10 and clearly has slipped. Has lost mobility and too often puts the ball up for grabs. But he's still more productive than most of the younger QBs and inspires his team with his passion for the game.

9. Byron Leftwich (Jacksonville). Improving young QB for an improving team. Cannon arm and tough. Could lose 10 pounds.

10. Carson Palmer (Cincinnati). Likely to improve significantly in his second season as a starter. Benefits from impressive array of skilled offensive teammates.

11. Jake Delhomme (Carolina). Underrated. Solid 2004 season proved his Super Bowl XXXVIII heroics weren't a fluke. Fits well in team's conservative offense but can open up when the Panthers get behind.

12. Drew Brees (San Diego). An excellent 2004 season (27 TD passes and 7 interceptions) saved his job for now, but he's as likely to slip a bit this year as Palmer is to improve.

13. Steve McNair (Tennessee). Still has the strong arm and charisma, but injuries have taken a big toll and it could be a long season for his Titans.

14. Trent Green (Kansas City). An accomplished product of the Chiefs system. If RB Priest Holmes is 100 percent, Green should continue to thrive with accurate short and mid-range passes against defenses stacked to stop the run.

15. Jake Plummer (Denver). Has the talent to be an elite QB but lacks consistency. Can make big plays but also makes stupid plays. This is the last preseason I'll rate him this high if he struggles in 2005.

16. Marc Bulger (St. Louis). Streaky sort who generally plays much better at home than on the road.

17. Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh). Historic rookie season, partly because he was on a strong team and wasn't asked to perform miracles. Has the talent to better this rating with a solid sophomore season.

18. Chad Pennington (New York Jets). Intelligent player and a natural leader. Accurate short passer and excellent ball fakes. But he didn't have a strong arm even before rotator cuff surgery in February. Has the potential to significantly boost this rating.

19. David Carr (Houston). A tough leader with a Grade-A arm and rare competitiveness, but we'll never know how good he is until he gets better protection (sacked 140 times in 44 games).

20. Joey Harrington/Jeff Garcia (Detroit). Signing Garcia wasn't a ringing endorsement of former "franchise QB" Harrington. At least they'll have an impressive group of receivers to throw to (Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, rookie Mike Williams and TE Marcus Pollard).

21. Kurt Warner (Arizona). The two-time NFL MVP has lost a lot, but he still has enough touch to put up some decent TD numbers throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Bryant Johnson.

22. Aaron Brooks (New Orleans). His production thus far has not approached his physical skills. Strong arm and a scrambler, but not a great leader and seldom delivers in clutch situations.

23. Brian Griese (Tampa Bay). Revived career last season with the Buccaneers but could be elected president of the Streaky QB Club. He can look great one week and inept the following week.

24. Kyle Boller (Baltimore). There must be something here because Brian Billick keeps sticking with him. Imported WR Derrick Mason, rookie WR Mark Clayton and a healthy TE Todd Heap could give him a boost in what probably is a make-or-break season.

25. Drew Bledsoe (Dallas). Regressed badly last season in the eyes of most Buffalo fans. He's eager to prove the Bills were foolish to let him go and will be a contender for NFL Comeback Player of the Year if he pulls it off. I don't believe he can, even with a better offensive line.

26. Eli Manning (New York Giants). I'm not sold that he would've been a No. 1 overall draft pick if his last nameweren't Manning, but San Diego selected him and the Giants then traded for him. Took his lumps the second half of last season and that experience had to help.

27. J.P. Losman (Buffalo). If all goes well, I'll be rating him much higher in preseason 2006. The lack of tears shed in western New York over Bledsoe's departure suggests that a majority of fans would prefer to see a young QB learn on the job than a veteran QB who already had taken the team as far as he could.

28. Patrick Ramsey (Washington). I once suggested that the Bills trade a first-round pick for Ramsey. I've had better ideas. I still think he can play, but his major contribution so far was taking over for total-bust veteran Mark Brunell.

29. A.J. Feeley/Gus Frerotte (Miami). In small doses, Frerotte might get the job done. Feeley got his full-time shot with the Dolphins and hasn't delivered.

30. Trent Dilfer (Cleveland). It's sort of sad that the Browns think they can be a significantly better football team with this rusty retread starting at QB.

31. Rex Grossman (Chicago). He's had two straight season-ending injuries and didn't show much in his six career starts. The Bears are hoping he stays healthy and will give him time to develop with a run-first offense.

32. Tim Rattay (San Francisco). Injury prone and erratic. It probably won't be long before rookie Alex Smith is starting.

I have issues with the entire list...

BUT Ramsey below Boller???? :mad: I know...I know P.Ram hasn't proven himself, yadda, yadda, yadda...but below BOLLER!!!:puke:

Kyle Boller is a catastrophe....my God man!

C'mon, talk about not proving themselves...even feeble Eli Manning and unproven Losman are above Ramsey. :rolleyes: Joey “twinkle fingers” Harrington at #20? And Kerry Collins all the way at #5? Any pressure on him and he's finished.

Some of the QBs will have added weapons this year, but still doesn't justify their higher rankings.

I know I’m a homer….but nevertheless… what a joke. Rankings truly based on projected performance/recent past performance/Raw individual talent/accomplishments/durability cannot yield this garbage. Can it?

Anyways...its something to talk about (good post) :D

Ramsey's not getting the benefit of the doubt at all. That's not suprising.

However, the Boller ranking is mighty generous. He's flat out terrible. So is Collins' ranking, but I suspect Randy Moss going to Oakland has something to do with that one. Losman's too high also, but the D&C is an upstate NY paper, so that's to be expected.

With recent past performance also a "PRIME" factor goes against some of the picks... (Using the "well they stuck with him anyway so.... is not stattracking)...

Two monkeys with a wall full of pictures and some a diaper full of opinions could do that pick...

Reading Mannings/Brady's reasons would give no doubt that Brady should be #1 till beaten.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Collins is too high, Plummer is too high and Pennigton is too low. other than that his list is respectable for somebody who is attempting to cover the whole league.

Agreed. Plummer and Pennington should trade spots.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

Why would anyone assume Ramsey will do better than Boller. Wasn't Boller a better prospect out of college and isn't he on a team that is a little more solid and coming off of a better year?

just watch Boller play :laugh:

Originally posted by Skindrodamus

As much as we may believe Ramsey is better than Boller, which in my mind he is.

No one in the media has seen Ramsey prove that, Boller started pretty much the last two years etc.

I agree about Patrick, in a sense. As much as people here love him, he really hasn't shown a ton in terms of the big picture. Hopefully he can this year. Ranking him begin Losman, though... that makes no sense. Same with Boller, who has shown nothing at all to anyone.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

Why would anyone assume Ramsey will do better than Boller. Wasn't Boller a better prospect out of college and isn't he on a team that is a little more solid and coming off of a better year?

Boller's best season passer rating is worse than Ramsey's worst season passer rating. And like you said, Boller's been on a better team with better all-around coaching, OL and run support.

It's not really about Ramsey. Boller's terrible. I'd put Boller at 32 no matter what Ramsey's spot is.

Originally posted by Henry

Boller's best season passer rating is worse than Ramsey's worst season passer rating. And like you said, Boller's been on a better team with better all-around coaching, OL and run support.

It's not really about Ramsey. Boller's terrible. I'd put Boller at 32 no matter what Ramsey's spot is.

I see your point about Boller.

It just seems like some people think that Ramsey should get more respect nationally than I think he's earned.

:2cents:

Archived