Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are their any true "voluntary" Redskins fans?

Clutch03

My brother is a punk ass ***** Buffalo Bills fan who had never stepped foot into New York until about five years ago. I consider him a sell out **** who sold his roots to root for a doomed franchise.

Now that I have season tickets, I am further astounded by his lack of interest in following our team.

At least I have bragging rights. He had to sit with me in the living room as our Washington Redskins smacked the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl. It was (and still is) a beautiful thing.

Sorry, back to your conversation.

Originally posted by Beaudry

Chachie, I believe when I made this decision I was probably 6 years old. I don't think I even understood what the Super Bowl was. It is the first game I can remember watching the whole thing. Therefore, I don't think I could even understand the concept of picking a front-runner. I just picked a team and stuck with them.

I understand and since you've stuck with them this whole time you qualify as diehard. As I posted previously young kids get a pass if they jump on a good team. Besides, anyone that considers themselves a Skins fan after the last 12 seasons and only one playoff appearance is certainly a diehard fan.

Back in the 70's when I was a kid (born '69) up until the introduction of the Panther's, NC was Redskin country, that's who was on TV every sunday. It was just one of those things that was understood and not really said, you pulled for the 'skins. Now alot of people here are Panthers fans and to each his own. I choose to dance with whom I brought. I try to make at least one game a year and this year we're taking my kid(9) to his 1st game. He falls under the category of "brought up in the Redskin lifestyle". Burgandy and gold til the end!!!

Originally posted by Chachie

I believe in rooting for hometeam only. The team that plays for YOUR city and in YOUR backyard should be your team. If a fan moves to another city, I believe it's their choice to either stick with the old fave or adopt the new hometeam as their favorite.

Where I live at we didn't have a home team from 1987 until 1995 when the Rams moved to STL. The Bears don't really qualify as the home team to people down here because Chicago is 6 hours away and besides the fact that people in So. IL seem to inherently hate Chicago. When the Rams moved to StL in 1995 how was I supposed to root for them? I can't and anyone that has a true love for another team just can't drop one team for another just because they're the local team. It's like quitting weightlifting and starting knitting just because your new wife likes to knit. Sure, it would've been easy for many to root for the new team when the Redskins just came off of a 3-13 season, but I couldn't. If it isn't in your heart it isn't and anyone that can drop one team to pick up a new team, just because that new team is the "home team" never was a diehard fan of their old team.

Originally posted by Beaudry

I've never lived anywhere near DC and I have no friends/relatives who are Redskins fans. I picked the Skins when they played the Raiders in the SB, and I have stuck with them since.

Pretty much the same story here. Grew up in Iowa. Jumped on the bandwagon (to the best of my recollection) when I was 4 or 5 and the Skins went to back to back SBs.

Since then, progressively becamed obsessed with Gibbs, the Hogs, and everything 'Skins-related. Have not yet been to a game in DC; have been to a couple here in Dallas (have not yet seen them win in person).

I've certainly started a new dynasty in the Illian household, though -- even my 2 year old can sing HTTR!!

:cheers: :helmet: :cheers:

nope just the opposite..all of the influences...born in PG county..lived in DC, Marylander since then...grew up watching them..both of my parents are skins fans..i started watching them as a kid with my father and uncle..so i have geographic ties, family ties...and man I just love Redskins football...def feels like its in the blood.

Originally posted by ciresolstice

nope just the opposite..all of the influences...born in PG county..lived in DC, Marylander since then...grew up watching them..both of my parents are skins fans..i started watching them as a kid with my father and uncle..so i have geographic ties, family ties...and man I just love Redskins football...def feels like its in the blood.

Same for me, thats another reason I started this thread. I sometimes wonder if I would have rooted for the Redskins if I lived in Texas or California. I just wonder how deep my love is for the skins.

I was actually brought home from the hospital in a Joe Theismann T-shirt and and Redskins hoody after I was born. I still have it til this day! All of my kids will be brought home in the same paraphanalia (sp?). And so the tradition continues!

Originally posted by Blade

The guy who started this site fits your definition of 'voluntary'. Get Die Hard to tell his story.... that is if you can understand is wacky Canadian accent. :)

Dump a few Ceasar's in him & he'll talk all night. You just have to figure out what the hell he means by Ceasar. :)

I'm totally voluntary. I don't have any relatives or ties at all to D.C. Been a fan since 1978, (I was 8) but didnt really honestly follow them till their Superbowl years. By that time I could actually understand the game a bit.

My stepdad and his family are all Eagles fans. Theyre from West Lawn, PA. My stepdad never really tried to get me into football, so it was actually a friend who got me into the game. He was from Maryland. I met him at Fort Leavenworth where both our dads were stationed. Been a fan of the B&G ever since.

Count me as one. Born and raised in NY. Never been to a Skins home game. Saw them every season when playing the Giants at Yankee stadium, Yale Bowl, and Giants stadium. Entire family are Giants fans except for two or three Jets fans:doh:

Great question.

I guess I am what you are calling a "voluntary" skins fan. I have been to DC and really like the city but never lived there nor had any skins fans in the family. Infact, I have been given alot of crap over the years because of my loyalties.

I am sure that there are many great reasons to become a skins fan... My reason is because I knew some of the Rypien family (I worked with Mark's sister). I met Mark when he was a backup behind DW and really respecetd the man. That was in 1988 and have been a Skins fan since.

:helmet:

I was a military brat and grew up all over. But when I learned what football was, I was living in VA (Quantico to be exact). I even got a autographed picture of Ernest Byner when I was about 7 years old when he visited the PX back then. Since that day forward, die hard Skins fan all the way. PHUK DALLAS!!!

Born and raised in CA., and have always been a skins fan. My Dad and 2 brothers are 9er fans so im the lone wolf. Not sure if it was more Monk than it was Riggins, or Riggins than Monk, but I was definetly hooked. There was just something about the way the coach (Gibbs) was mixing up the plays, it was pure poetry for my young little mind (still love that double reverse). It was then that I knew I was a Skins fan. And when I told my Dad he was nothing short of pissed, which added a little spice to the Football season every year. The montana years were rough (took a lot of Crap), But 0-16 or 16-0 skins fan till the end...

I am a voluntary Skins fan....

Most of my family are either Iggles fans or Ravens fans as my family is from B-more and Philly...

I became a Skins fan b/c I grew up around Skins fans and it just stuck to me like the plague and I cant shake it! Not that I would want to of course...:cool:

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Md., and was a Colts fan. I won a punt pass and kick contest when I was 9 yrs.old and got a Jonny U. uniform. #19. My cousins lived in Annandale Va. and were big Skins fans. At Cristmas every year my brother and I used to play them in touch football. After the Colts snuck out of town and moved to Indy. I was so mad, I decided that I wasn't going to follow them ever again. And I'm one who feels that you should root for your local team. At the time the Skins were THAT team. They were a GREAT team, and I loved the Hogs and Riggin and Monk, Clark Joe T. Rip, & Doug W. and last but not leat JOE F'IN GIBBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND JOE F'IN BUGEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE THE GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to drink a beer on me to the Skins,

you know where to find me. :cheers:

ps...thanks Colts for making me a diehard Skins fan !!!!!!!! HTTR!

Ravens are transplanted Browns......good for Balt. but they're not THE REDSKINS!

Originally posted by Chachie

I believe in rooting for hometeam only. The team that plays for YOUR city and in YOUR backyard should be your team. If a fan moves to another city, I believe it's their choice to either stick with the old fave or adopt the new hometeam as their favorite.

I enjoy corresponding with any fan of the Washington Redskins, but due to the fact that there are so many traitors in this town, it IS hard for me to "respect" (I use that term only for a lack of vocab) any Redskin fans that were not born in this area. Especially Redskin fans from Dallas.

No offense meant to ANY of the fine people on this board as there are alot of knowledgeable and loyal people here. Just my own take on this subject.

Remember, Dallas was Redskin territory until about 1960. Further, one of our best QBs, maybe our best, came from that area. Although I grew up in DC, I am primarily a Redskin fan because of my dad, a Skin fan from Ft. Lauderdale. He grew up well before Miami had a team, heck his formative football years would have been while the Redskins were led by Baugh.

Was born in Autin and raised in San Antonio and have been a skins fan since I knew what football was. The main reason I picked the skins when I was a wee lad was cuz during thanksgiving when I was growing up all my family sat and rooted for the cowpukes. Except for my mother she hated the cowturds and being a mamas boy (and the fact that when I was younger I always went against the grain) I picked the team that was rival of the cowgirls and it stuck. So I guess you could say that i'm definately a true "voluntary" skins fan by choice and have never swayed. I have been to the Pro Bowl wearing my skins jersy and rooting for the skins, been to a game at dallas wearing my skins jersy and rooting for the skins, and been to a skins game at fedex wearing a heavy coat and freezing my hungover arse off! I have also been to training camp when Steve Sputttier was or we thought was the answer to all our prayers. It is sometimes frustrating when fellow fans question your loyalty, desire or reason for being a skins fan. I probably have more skins paraphernalia on my desk at work than do some "fans" local to the team. And have put up with more hazing and harassing, and spent more time defending my team then other "fans" also.

I definitely fall into this category living in the UK. First game I watched was the Superbowl loss to the Raiders - can't get much less 'bandwagon jumping' than that. I just fell in love with the team, and have followed them as closely as it is possible to do so over here since then. The SB wins of 87 & 91 meant a lot to me, and I'll do my utmost to watch the guys play - MNF starts at 2 AM over here - my alarm clock is set every time. I just love to watch the team play, even if they lose. I can't tell you how much it would mean to me to see Joe Gibbs bring this franchise back to greatness again - and I have to believe he will.

I donot fall in this catagory, but became a skins fan during the george allen era 72?, plus they were the team on every sunday in northcarolina. Have never waivered since, and thus was thankful for the job opportunity to finally settle down in Virginia

to continue to watch them every Sunday till the day I die.

I was born at Andrews Air Force Base when my dad was stationed here. Ironically, when he came out, he and Mom settled just around the corner from where FedEx Field now stands. As I was becoming interested in sports as a child, Dad always taught me to support the hometown team no matter what. So, I can say, wholeheartedly, that I'm a true "voluntary" Redskins fan and I'm darned proud of it. I've seen the good, bad and ugly. Yet, that hasn't stopped me from buying season tickets and putting up my Redskins paraphernalia in my cublicle at work. :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

I fall into the "voluntary" fan category. Grew up in North Jersey, still live there. My entire family is Giants fans. When I was younger my parents bought my bro a giants costume/uniform for his birthday, I wanted one too, but they didn't want us to have matching uniforms, so they got me a Skins one. Kinda backfired on them since I've been a Skins fan since. Silly story but true.

Archived