Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to gain weight

OrangeSkin

OK, I've always been really skinny...when I was 18 I was 5'10 and hovered around 120 pounds. Everybody always did (and still does) make comments about how thin I am. It stems from the fact that I have virtually no appetite...eating is just not my thing. Not anorexic, I just never find myself famished enough to sit down and eat a huge helping of food.

So I've finally decided to add some weight and actually fill out my frame a little bit. Any advice for someone who wants to pack on a few pounds?

Hmmm, who knows...talk to a physical trainer. You certainly don't want to put on the "wrong" type of weight. If you just have no appetite it's probably easier.

I've always been thin (especially when I was a teenager), but I only know a few people that actually eat more food than me....

If you smoke, definitely cut that out, along with coffee. Both of them can knock you off your feed a little....

I'm no nutritionist, but I think you're wanting to go with a high protein/high complex carb diet, combined with a weight-lifitng program in order to put on the "good weight". Regardless of what kind of calories you're taking in(protein, carb, or fat,) without lifting weights, a surplus of calories will go to fat rather than muscle mass.

Also, you dont' want to neglect the "good" fats-fish oil, flax oil, etc.

Go to the gym and don't do any pansy exercises like all the pretty boys do everytime they go to the gym. Work the largest muscles in your body and the rest of your body will grow in proportion without you even working those muscles. Yes, your arms will grow without ever having to do a curl! Amazing right?!

Do deadlifts, squats, bench press, and lat pulldowns religiously. Forget curls, shoulders, or anything for your calves. Not needed yet, you are too skinny and you will be spinning your wheels.

Eat about 6 meals a day. Yes, I just said 6 meals a day. Your best bet would be to visit a nutrionist website.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

OK, I've always been really skinny...when I was 18 I was 5'10 and hovered around 120 pounds. Everybody always did (and still does) make comments about how thin I am. It stems from the fact that I have virtually no appetite...eating is just not my thing. Not anorexic, I just never find myself famished enough to sit down and eat a huge helping of food.

So I've finally decided to add some weight and actually fill out my frame a little bit. Any advice for someone who wants to pack on a few pounds?

OrangeSkin, how much exercise do you get on a daily and weekly basis? Also, strange question, but do you give off a LOT of heat in your sleep?

My husband has a similar issue (he's 6'0" 145lbs.) - but he has a voracious appetite because he exercises and participates in sports activities during the week (and gardens and stuff too around the house). And let me tell you, he gives off massive amounts of body heat when he sleeps. His metabolism was kick-started, I guess.

The bastitch burns off calories in his sleep. Sometimes I wonder why I haven't killed him out of jealousy of this trait of his yet :laugh: (KIDDING!!)

If you increase your exercise, your appetite will most probably increase.

You also may want to check how healthy your diet is - make sure that you are getting enough of the essential vitamins and minerals, and a good amount of sleep a night. Cut down on the crap (soda, sweets).

jen, I have to believe I give off a lot of heat in my sleep because I often wake up drenched in sweat. Hell, that's probably another issue. Last night I didn't get to sleep until about 1:30. Had nothing to get up for this morning, so I slept till about 8. I went to the bathroom, got some water, and went back to sleep. I woke up about 2 hours later bathing in sweat. This happened another 2 or 3 times in the same morning. At least a dozen times over the past months I've woken up absolutely drenched. It probably has something to do with stress...perhaps it's something else though.

Jesus, this thread is making me realize what a mess I am. :(

Originally posted by jenmdixon

My husband has a similar issue (he's 6'0" 145lbs.) - but he has a voracious appetite because he exercises and participates in sports activities during the week (and gardens and stuff too around the house). And let me tell you, he gives off massive amounts of body heat when he sleeps. His metabolism was kick-started, I guess.

The bastitch burns off calories in his sleep. Sometimes I wonder why I haven't killed him out of jealousy of this trait of his yet :laugh: (KIDDING!!)

That sounds like me!

Three protien shakes a day plus eat at least three meals a day. When you eat do not stop when you normaly would ,but push yourself to have another serving.

A nutritionist/trainer would be best.

What if you are cold in your sleep?

I have a very high metabolism,yet my body temp drops A LOT when I sleep.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Oh, hush.

All I have to do is LOOK at food to gain weight.

I wish I had your metabloism.

:laugh: :laugh:

Blondie

come live with us, my parents are both overweight, and my mom stlll keeps cooking large portions. Its healthy food, but its just too much, you can help us clean out.

Otherwise, Oatmeal Cream Pies, 170 calories apiece!!! (prolly how I suddenly gained a few lbs durin the last semester, but Ive been staying off them now).

If you dont work out, I guess do it more often and consistently. You work up an appetite for it too, but you also gain muscle weight obviously. THe main thing im pionting out is how much your appetite increaes.

If I read you correctly your biggest problem is lack of appetite. Exercise has been mentioned as an appetite stimulant. Another proven stimulant is THC. I'll leave you to your own devices in determining the delivery mechanism.

The best thing you can do is join the local gym, grab some buddies, and start going regularly. If you try to go every other niight/ day you will start to notice a difference. There is no need to see a trainer just start off light so you don't hurt yourself.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

Go to the gym and don't do any pansy exercises like all the pretty boys do everytime they go to the gym. Work the largest muscles in your body and the rest of your body will grow in proportion without you even working those muscles. Yes, your arms will grow without ever having to do a curl! Amazing right?!

Do deadlifts, squats, bench press, and lat pulldowns religiously. Forget curls, shoulders, or anything for your calves. Not needed yet, you are too skinny and you will be spinning your wheels.

Eat about 6 meals a day. Yes, I just said 6 meals a day. Your best bet would be to visit a nutrionist website.

This is actually some pretty solid advise.

Also, you can subsitute MRP's (meal replacement drinks) to up your caloric intake in a good way.

pretty boy exercises. :rolleyes:

What kurp said. And don't let expectations or wants get out of control. It's a metabolism thing. I have friends who eat like there is no tomorow, work out, ect... and still don't gain alot of weight, ( which really isn't always an indicator of how well you're doing).

I hate them. :)

Originally posted by Park City Skins

pretty boy exercises. :rolleyes:

Care to expound? Curls, calf exercises, forearm work and the like isn't needed by about 75 percent of the people going to the gym. If you want to gain size and strength, work the largest muscles in your body and your arms, calves, etc will grow just as big as they would have if you had done exercises for each one consistently.

Yeah. I'll expound. I shouldn't have too, being you're a trainer and all and should know this anyway. The body believes in balance. Demands it in many ways. While compound lifts do in fact work the secondary, (supporting muscles), these exercises still don't isolate these muscles with the specific movements that work them out. For specific gains of size and or strength, as well as maintaining the above mentioned balance, these muscles should be included in any excercise program imho. Now, I'm not saying to the degree in which many bodybuilders do, but an exercise or 2 for the smaller, supporting groups would suffice. Those being biceps, triceps, shoulders, (specifically the medial and posterior delts),forearms, and the calves. This not only helps in keeping many of the smaller joints from suffering because a muscle group is so much stronger than the other, but it also will, obviously, give those muscles more strength to support the core lifts.

Archived