Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardner Trade in the works?

Dead Money

Excuse me if I missed this being discussed for I did a brief search through the Sean Talyor threads for it.

Adam Schefter said that there's trade talk in the works and interest from something like 4 teams that are interested in Gardner as per a discussion with Gardner's agent? (last night on NFL Total Access)

Is this just smoke from the agent? Could it be possible that a team would trade for someone almost guaranteed to be released before the end of summer?

Could it be that Gibbs is holding on to him as long as possible to force a trade no matter how devalued it is?

Discuss.

The real problem is convincing Gardner to sign a new contract with an interested team. At this point I would think that Gibbs would be willing to hold onto Gardner until the right deal comes along in order to pressure him. Interested teams know that Gardner would have to be in their training camp to get maximum use out of him, so things should heat up now. I would suspect that a deal gets done before camps open, unless Rod drops the ball.

Even with the signing of Dyson, it doesn't say that Gardner is definately getting released. It just says there will be more of a competition in camp. Call him 50/50 or wahtever you want, but his talent level is comparable to the other guys we signed.

The Redskins could easily send a smoke signal and say that we're definately keeping Gardner and the competition is amongst the other guys we signed/have on the roster.

Originally posted by wskin44

The real problem is convincing Gardner to sign a new contract with an interested team. At this point I would think that Gibbs would be willing to hold onto Gardner until the right deal comes along in order to pressure him. Interested teams know that Gardner would have to be in their training camp to get maximum use out of him, so things should heat up now. I would suspect that a deal gets done before camps open, unless Rod drops the ball.

plus, teams do suffer injuries in late august and early sept. Then they are more willing to make a move. :helmet:

The team is doing the right thing with Gardner. Hold on to him as long as possible and limit his chances of getting picked up by another team if he doesn't accept a trade brokered. The team allowed his agent to find a trade, and then he turned them down, one after another. It would please me if we kept him all camp and cut him the day before the season starts to keep him from going where he wants to go. He is putting the team in a bad position so I have no problem with the team doing the same to him.

Originally posted by Bufford

now that the draft is well over, giving up a pick, even a conditional one in 2006 isn't that crazy.

I think teams like Seattle, Carolina, Houston and even San Diego would be interested.

I see Seattle...they could replace Robinson with his clone. Gardner just has a partying problem not an illegal drug issue.

Seattle is only asking for a third rounder for Alexander (I think) if they value him at a 3rd rounder then Gardner is what a 7th?

Oh an yeah I agree that the team is doing the right thing with him. I just hope that if a WR that gets hurt in the preseason it isn't one of ours. :(

poor Rod, heard he's a pretty nice guy off field as well. If only he had learned to catch better. This makes it seem like Gardner wont be back, cause some people here still believe he will. Around training camp I bet we find a partner, as Bufford said.

Originally posted by kappaluvacee

The team is doing the right thing with Gardner. Hold on to him as long as possible and limit his chances of getting picked up by another team if he doesn't accept a trade brokered. The team allowed his agent to find a trade, and then he turned them down, one after another. It would please me if we kept him all camp and cut him the day before the season starts to keep him from going where he wants to go. He is putting the team in a bad position so I have no problem with the team doing the same to him.

What are you talking about? Are you saying that a player shouldn't act in his own best finaincial interest but instead he should do what's best for the team that's trying to get rid of him? He didn't turn down any trade. He can't. He has to go wherever a team is willing to pay him 2.1M. You want him to agree to an extension with a team who is giving up something to get him which would be based on what he considers a bad year so that the Skins can get something for him. You also believe if he doesn't do what he considers not to be in his own best interest it's OK for the team to punish him. How do you think the other players feel about this?

I was wondering if there were some teams out there waiting to see if the Skins were going to release Gardener with the June 1st cuts before making their play for him. Now that they see that Gibbs is going to be a little more patient, their hands are forced. I am sure that Gardener is a nice guy, he is just too inconsistant with his catching. If we are to take a step to the next level on Offense we need recievers who can catch the tough passes and get that all important 3rd down conversion.

Originally posted by ross3909

I was wondering if there were some teams out there waiting to see if the Skins were going to release Gardener with the June 1st cuts before making their play for him. Now that they see that Gibbs is going to be a little more patient, their hands are forced. I am sure that Gardener is a nice guy, he is just too inconsistant with his catching. If we are to take a step to the next level on Offense we need recievers who can catch the tough passes and get that all important 3rd down conversion.

Gardner can catch the tough passes...it's the easy ones he too often has trouble with.

Originally posted by Mr. S

poor Rod, heard he's a pretty nice guy off field as well. If only he had learned to catch better. This makes it seem like Gardner wont be back, cause some people here still believe he will. Around training camp I bet we find a partner, as Bufford said.

Rod is may things, but poor is not one of them.

Originally posted by Bufford

plus, teams do suffer injuries in late august and early sept. Then they are more willing to make a move. :helmet:

Excellent point! A team that loses a WR in the pre-season might be desperate and give up a lot for Gardner. Patience is a virtue;)

AS long as we can get Rogers, Campbell and the other 2005 draftees signed.......keep Gardner until we (and he) can get the deal that everyone is looking for.

RG asked to be traded, not the Skins we're looking to trade for him, so he and his agent should be pushing every team to pick him up.

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Excuse me if I missed this being discussed for I did a brief search through the Sean Talyor threads for it.

Adam Schefter said that there's trade talk in the works and interest from something like 4 teams that are interested in Gardner as per a discussion with Gardner's agent? (last night on NFL Total Access)

Is this just smoke from the agent? Could it be possible that a team would trade for someone almost guaranteed to be released before the end of summer?

Could it be that Gibbs is holding on to him as long as possible to force a trade no matter how devalued it is?

Discuss.

It's not in the agent's interest to talk about trade interest where there is none. He'd prefer to have Gardner released so he can sign a new contract with a new bonus. This sounds like there could be something to it . . .

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Discuss.

I heard a simular conversation last night, But it was about Vinny Testaverde not Gardner or trade, just that 4 teams where interested but that Vinny was going to wait till later to see if a starter gets hurt.

Originally posted by blakman211

Even with the signing of Dyson, it doesn't say that Gardner is definately getting released. It just says there will be more of a competition in camp. Call him 50/50 or wahtever you want, but his talent level is comparable to the other guys we signed.

The Redskins could easily send a smoke signal and say that we're definately keeping Gardner and the competition is amongst the other guys we signed/have on the roster.

His talent level maybe but not his work ethic or his paycheck.

Archived