Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gardner Trade in the works?

Dead Money

Originally posted by Kevin B.

Is this just smoke from the agent? Could it be possible that a team would trade for someone almost guaranteed to be released before the end of summer?

Remember also that there is a waiver order....so if a team wants Gardner but is at the back of the line when (and if) he is cut, they are SOL. The only way to guarantee getting him is trading for him.

As far as compensation? I think teams will start with a 5th rounder, but maybe if 3 teams are willing to part with a 5th rounder, maybe one will step up and offer a 4th to separate themselves from the pack. I mean, as inconsistent as Gardner is, he's better than most WRs that would be available in the 4th round....

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Some team will be dumb enough to trade for him.

The whole league new Brunell was going to be cut on June 1st. Lets just hope some team is run similar to ours :doh:

:confused:

Are you trying to say that you think Brunell should have been cut? I don't think many teams in the league expected him to be cut.......most people know that Gibbs likes to have an experienced veteran QB on the roster at all times. I don't think Brunell was ever in danger of being cut. Especially since he redid his deal for the veteran minimum.

Actually, that post about Gardener making the tough catches is true; he almost always can make the tough catch; the one right in his hands that is thrown perfectly is where he seems to lose concentration on sometimes. He will be a contributor to another team this year. Just not with us.

Originally posted by jrockster77

:confused:

Are you trying to say that you think Brunell should have been cut? I don't think many teams in the league expected him to be cut.......most people know that Gibbs likes to have an experienced veteran QB on the roster at all times. I don't think Brunell was ever in danger of being cut. Especially since he redid his deal for the veteran minimum.

I think he was referring to when Brunell was still in Jacksonville, there were a lot of rumors that he would be cut after June 1, so the Skins didn't need to give up a 3rd round pick for him.

Originally posted by jrockster77

Remember also that there is a waiver order....so if a team wants Gardner but is at the back of the line when (and if) he is cut, they are SOL. The only way to guarantee getting him is trading for him.

As far as compensation? I think teams will start with a 5th rounder, but maybe if 3 teams are willing to part with a 5th rounder, maybe one will step up and offer a 4th to separate themselves from the pack. I mean, as inconsistent as Gardner is, he's better than most WRs that would be available in the 4th round....

Gardner has 4 years in the league so he is not subject to waivers unless the Skins hold on to him until after the trading deadline during the season.

Archived