Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid **** Wilbon Says

Riggo#44

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know what Wilbon's deal is. He made his career here in D.C. He got famous being a WASHINGTON based writer for the WASHINGTON Post. His PTI show with Kornheiser was based off the debates he'd have with Tony in the Post offices. Yet, since he's left D.C., he's made it his mission in life to trash our town every chance he gets. What an absolute tool.

I never got that either.  Loverro does that too.  I'm not saying they have to love the DC sports scene, but they're openly and aggressively hostile to it.  I would think since you made your career and your name in this town, you would at least be neutral.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But look at what we're doing.  Bunch of younger guys calling Wilbon an old fartnocker for thinking wins are relevant, we're talking about him.  Yes, his ego is ginormous and yes his bad takes aren't even creative but it WORKS for him.  Amazing how that happens.  It's amazing how those guys like Stephen A (who I like) Skip Bayless, Cowherd and other stick around despite the fact that NOBODY LIKES THEM AND EVERYONE HATES THEM.  They're like the Nickelback of sports talk entertainment.  No one admits to liking Nickelback and yet somehow they still sold millions.  

I will give Cowherd credit for one thing.  I remember in the early days of his show on ESPN, he explained on air what his strategy for success in radio was.  And frankly, it applies everywhere in sports media.  He said the worst thing you can be in sports radio (and media, in general) is middle of the road.  People either need to love you or they need to hate you.  Being polarizing, which all these people are, is where the money is.  Being hateable works. Personality counts for a lot, you just cant be bland and boring.  Make people watch just to hate and disagree with you.   The checks are gonna clear all the same.

So people love Kornheiser, hate Wilbon. That's money on television.  Wilbon is just a wrestling heel, at this point.  

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm at WORK. :rofl89:

The tone of those deadspin articles makes it seem as if Wilbon is the worst person in the history of the world. Come on. 

Get a job where your internet browsing isn’t a problem

and yes he’s pretty bad

55 minutes ago, tshile said:

Get a job where your internet browsing isn’t a problem

and yes he’s pretty bad

Most companies wouldn't allow you to read such sites on company time. Deadspin is just awful journalism and is more opinionated blog filth than actual journalistic content. 

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

I will give Cowherd credit for one thing.  I remember in the early days of his show on ESPN, he explained on air what his strategy for success in radio was.  And frankly, it applies everywhere in sports media.  He said the worst thing you can be in sports radio (and media, in general) is middle of the road.  People either need to love you or they need to hate you.  Being polarizing, which all these people are, is where the money is.  Being hateable works. Personality counts for a lot, you just cant be bland and boring.  Make people watch just to hate and disagree with you.   The checks are gonna clear all the same.

So people love Kornheiser, hate Wilbon. That's money on television.  Wilbon is just a wrestling heel, at this point.  

Yep, not surprising.  Being controversial, being polarizing.  It works.  

Please don't talk about him, it only gets him more attention.  The best way to fight against trolls is to ignore them, which includes not watching their show or reading their articles even when someone else is trying to point you to stupid **** they say.  That just tells the media conglomerate to keep putting these idiots/assholes out there because it rakes in money.  Just pretend they don't exist.

This is the one I will never forget.

“I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Angry? Yes. Surprised? Not even a little. It was only in June 2006 that Taylor, originally charged with a felony, pleaded no contest to assault and battery charges after brandishing a gun during a battle over who took his all-terrain vehicles in Florida. After that, an angry crew pulled up on Taylor and his boys and pumped at least 15 bullets into his sport-utility vehicle. So why would anybody be surprised? Had it been Shawn Springs, I would have been stunned. But not Sean Taylor.” – Mike Wilbon

And then, the ultimate public smack down by DC’s own James Brown. 

"But are those reasons enough for some to be so insensitive, so quick and I think so inaccurate in stereotyping Sean Taylor as a bad apple, or that the end he met with was not a surprise?  A group of burglars break into HIS HOUSE and surprise to find him there and end his life?  Now by all accounts as we've heard from all those who actually knew him well, Taylor did an awful lot of maturing over the last year and a half.  For those who have been mature for a lot longer than that, exercising restraint in passing such callous and harmful judgment would seem to be in order..." – James Brown

23 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah, Wilbon is extra. Some guys you can tell they're all shtick. He just seems legitimately mean spirited about ****, especially when DC topics come up. You can literally see his face change... Like throwing a Rottweiler a raw porterhouse :ols:

I think he developed a hatred for the DC teams while he made DC his home. He's a Chicago guy who lived in DC while his star-studded Bears teams came up short and our all-for-one-and-one-for-all Redskins teams won titles. It probably drove him nuts having to listen to fans discuss the Redskins all day every day, no matter the month on the calendar. 

To an extent I can understand WHY he developed that annoyance with DC. But, as someone who makes his living in the sports world, I would also expect him to compensate for it and not let it color every comment he makes. 

14 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think he developed a hatred for the DC teams while he made DC his home. He's a Chicago guy who lived in DC while his star-studded Bears teams came up short and our all-for-one-and-one-for-all Redskins teams won titles. It probably drove him nuts having to listen to fans discuss the Redskins all day every day, no matter the month on the calendar. 

To an extent I can understand WHY he developed that annoyance with DC. But, as someone who makes his living in the sports world, I would also expect him to compensate for it and not let it color every comment he makes. 

I mean, EVERY one.  The only time he's even remotely complimentary is when he's talking about people he covered 30 years ago, like Gibbs or John Thompson.  

Just now, justice98 said:

I mean, EVERY one.  The only time he's even remotely complimentary is when he's talking about people he covered 30 years ago, like Gibbs or John Thompson.  

I get it, and I'm not defending the guy...just trying to understand. 

I have heard from friends who are fans of other teams but living in DC how much they revel in our meltdowns and unrealistic expectations when it comes to our teams. We always think THIS year will be different and they laugh at us when it's inevitably not. 

Take that mentality and apply to a smug and arrogant man with a microphone or following and that's Wilbon! 

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I get it, and I'm not defending the guy...just trying to understand. 

I have heard from friends who are fans of other teams but living in DC how much they revel in our meltdowns and unrealistic expectations when it comes to our teams. We always think THIS year will be different and they laugh at us when it's inevitably not. 

Take that mentality and apply to a smug and arrogant man with a microphone or following and that's Wilbon! 

I mean, I get that too. When I lived in LA and Atlanta, I didnt give a crap about local sports radio and about the local sports scene.  

Maybe if I had to endure it for 30 years, pre-internet, it woulda driven me mad.  lol

Archived