Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LOVERRO: Redskins’ bungling of Cousins on display in Lynch comments

rick7423

I checked and did not see this article, I thought it was amusing

Nuggets from the article:

... the Prince of Darkness, team president Bruce Allen ...

The trade of Cousins to San Francisco last offseason could have garnered Washington, at the very least, a second-round draft pick. Then they would have gone into the season with Colt McCoy as the starter, and what, go 6-10 instead of 7-9? And, please note, under this scenario they probably get the chance to keep their own quarterback prospect, Nate Sudfeld, instead of leaving him out there to be picked up by Philadelphia, who clearly value his future. Maybe at some point last season Sudfeld gets playing time, and develops.

Maybe going into 2018, Sudfeld is the Redskins starting quarterback, and they haven’t traded promising young cornerback Kendall Fuller and a third-round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs for Smith — and then have to pay Smith $71 million in guaranteed money over the next four years.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/25/john-lynch-comments-evidence-redskins-bungling/

I'm not buying what Loverro is selling in this article.

He is trying to say that the 49ers head coach (Shanahan) wanted Cousins so much that they may have parted with a first round pick to get him, but Allen was too petty to make a great deal like that?

Sorry, I don't buy that Allen is THAT small and foolish. Did they make a mistake with Cousins? Probably, but out of petty, vindictive spite, he cost the team a first round draft pick? :wtf: :huh:

No, I don't buy that. :nono:

What, exactly, has Sudfeld shown to get Loverro all hot and bothered? The kid looked rough, to say the least, during his time here.

In regards to Kirk, it's clear the FO didn't think he was worth a crazy salary, and may have surmised that Kirk didn't plan on being here long term. If that's the case, I don't think there's any way that Brucie, no matter how stupid he may be, would have turned down a 1st rounder if given the opportunity. Hell, I think that even if Bruce was offered a 2nd rounder last year he would have taken it.

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

What, exactly, has Sudfeld shown to get Loverro all hot and bothered? The kid looked rough, to say the least, during his time here.

In regards to Kirk, it's clear the FO didn't think he was worth a crazy salary, and may have surmised that Kirk didn't plan on being here long term. If that's the case, I don't think there's any way that Brucie, no matter how stupid he may be, would have turned down a 1st rounder if given the opportunity. Hell, I think that even if Bruce was offered a 2nd rounder last year he would have taken it.

I do believe the idea that Allen could've turned down a second round pick. 

However, I believe it would only be because they thought that Cousins was their best option at QB last season.

Was that the wrong move? That's a good possibility (though it is easy for me to say that here in the comfort of my home, playing armchair GM with 20/20 hindsight vision :806:).

But that Allen would turn such a lucrative pick down out of petty spite? I don't believe that. To quote a line from a 1970s movie

"That's bargain-basement Freud".

(Bonus points for the one who knows which movie that came from :)).

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I'm not buying what Loverro is selling in this article.

He is trying to say that the 49ers head coach (Shanahan) wanted Cousins so much that they may have parted with a first round pick to get him, but Allen was too petty to make a great deal like that?

Sorry, I don't buy that Allen is THAT small and foolish. Did they make a mistake with Cousins? Probably, but out of petty, vindictive spite, he cost the team a first round draft pick? :wtf: :huh:

No, I don't buy that. :nono:

Lynch said Kyle was in mourning after the 49ers traded for Jimmy G.  To be in mourning after you acquire a guy many think is going to be a hell of a quarterback, that played behind the greatest of all time, for the greatest coach of all time...you must really think highly of the other guy you wanted to get.

It's rather well documented that the FO said they wouldn't even field calls on Cousins last offseason.

I don't think Loverro is making any type of stretch here at all.  It's hard to tell what they could have gotten, but they absolutely would have gotten offers.  A first doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at all, outside of the fact that they weren't going to hear a word of it.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Lynch said Kyle was in mourning after the 49ers traded for Jimmy G.  To be in mourning after you acquire a guy many think is going to be a hell of a quarterback, that played behind the greatest of all time, for the greatest coach of all time...you must really think highly of the other guy you wanted to get.

It's rather well documented that the FO said they wouldn't even field calls on Cousins last offseason.

I don't think Loverro is making any type of stretch here at all.  It's hard to tell what they could have gotten, but they absolutely would have gotten offers.  A first doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at all, outside of the fact that they weren't going to hear a word of it.

That they turned down a high draft pick, yes I can believe that.

That they did it out of petty spite? That is harder to believe.

20 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

That they turned down a high draft pick, yes I can believe that.

That they did it out of petty spite? That is harder to believe.

Clearly you have a more glowing opinion of Snyder than that of myself.

I can totally see them not being willing to send Kirk to Kyle, after the way that whole thing ended.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Clearly you have a more glowing opinion of Snyder than that of myself.

I can totally see them not being willing to send Kirk to Kyle, after the way that whole thing ended.

I don't.

I can't see Allen walking into Snyder's office and saying:

"Guess what, Chief? We were offered a first round pick by San Fran for Cousins, but I shut that thing down cold. We could've had two first round picks this year that would really help our team, but I said 'NO WAY' because those ****s Cousins and Shanahan just irk me. I put them in their place by screwing our own team over. That'll show them. Can I have a raise now, Chief before I start to work on the Harvest Festival?"

Sorry, just don't buy that. :)

Yeah, I don’t buy it going down like that either.  Unfortunately we’ll never know but I remember the rumblings from this time last year that Snyder wouldn’t trade Kirk to Kyle under any circumstances.  There had to be something to it.  It was around the same time of Kirk’s meeting with Dan that was sold as “seeing where the team was at” which could mean a bunch of things.

30 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

"Guess what, Chief? We were offered a first round pick by San Fran for Cousins, but I shut that thing down cold. We could've had two first round picks this year that would really help our team, but I said 'NO WAY' because those ****s Cousins and Shanahan just irk me. I put them in their place by screwing our own team over. That'll show them. Can I have a raise now, Chief before I start to work on the Harvest Festival?"

Unfortunately I'd guess something pretty close to this actually happened. Not their 1st (the #2 overall pick), but a high 2nd. 

Snyder is petty and clueless. Dan was committed to RG3 and it's no secret that Kyle preferred Kirk. It wouldn't be surprising if Dan refused to trade Cousins to SF because of the bad blood there and not wanting to be embarrassed by Kyle. 

This is the thing about the Bruce/Dan power structure. It's not just about personnel decisions. I don't think Scot was fired by the King of Coors just because of alcohol. I do think that Bruce/Dan make decisions at times to try to make themselves look better, not necessarily to improve the team. It's embarrassing to lose a good QB because he thinks the organization is suspect, so they spin it that he's JAG, "Kurt," and so on. 

They weren't taking offers at all last year but after seeing what he got paid and who the bad Qb teams ended up starting last year (Jets, Broncos, Browns, 49ers, Bears) there is no doubt that somebody would have traded at least a first rounder for him and then signed him up to the contract that he expected.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived