Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seeing the 'Skins on a budget

thebluefood

So I recently moved to the Harrisburg, PA area and I'll be within striking distance of FedEx Field for the first time since I was a kid. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited and I'm hoping to go watch the 'Skins in person (and hopefully not suffer too terribly much in the process).

Having said that, I'm not exactly hauling in a king's ransom and I know the game day experience isn't always cheap - even if you find a good deal for tickets online.

Any suggestions you all have? How far in advance ought one to buy tickets? Would it be best to make a long trip on the Metro (I'd probably have to ride from Shady Grove, transfer onto the Blue Line in the city, then ride that out to Morgan Blvd. and walk to the stadium) or pay up for parking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I typically get a ticket in the 400s around the 50 yard line, eat before you go, take metro in and walk to the stadium.  Other's will have to speak on when best to get tickets, I typically make up my mind after about the third or fourth preseason game which one I'm going to go to, usually just one a year.  I would NOT do metro for a night game, don't risk it.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I typically get a ticket in the 400s around the 50 yard line, eat before you go, take metro in and walk to the stadium.  Other's will have to speak on when best to get tickets, I typically make up my mind after about the third or fourth preseason game which one I'm going to go to, usually just one a year.  I would NOT do metro for a night game, don't risk it.

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna hold off on the night games right now. I'd probably need to take the following morning off and unless it's a division/conference clinching ball game (and I can get tickets to begin with) I'd rather use my leave for something else.

I was hoping to go to the Eagles game early in the season - though I worry division game = more expensive tickets.

Just now, thebluefood said:

No I did not! But now I do! Thanks for the heads up.

No problem they get a nice size croud there for the games but surprisingly a lot of Redskins games are on local tv for regional coverage unless Philadelphia is playing at the same time 

Pricewise, I think it really depends how the 'skins are doing. If it's a good year then buying tickets in advance is the way to go. Seats come at a premium. If it's a bad year, then buy as close as your constitution will allow you to the start of the game. One mistake I made was when I got tickets to the playoff game on the RGIII year. I bought tickets fairly early in the week. Even for that, prices seemed to settle a bit, the day before the game and on the day of the game. I might have saved 50 bucks if I waited... but I really wanted to see the Redskins in a playoff game and figured with all the RGIII excitement that I better get what I could get when I could get it.

Another great strategy is to use the ES Classified. You won't get cheap tickets (though some bargain), but you can get them for face value. When I do that I tend to buy from a name I've seen on the board. I figure that will eliminate some chance of fraud. I've never looked this far out in advance, but I would think given the team's prospects, it might not be terrible right now, but I really have no idea.

ES will provide. You're a great guy and have been liked and respected around here for a long time. Extra tickets come up a lot and the ES tailgate hospitality is legendary. 

Keep your eyes open for last minute tickets and be ready to hit a game at the last minute.

Skin4lyfe or something, I know his real name now, gave me an extra ticket once. Last row at the top. Freezing cold, terrible seats, but seats non the less. We ended up with the Best buy dream seats, from Best Buy and Best Buy gear all thanks to Best Buy. (I have to do that :D) Djax while still an Eagle flipped us off. It was awesome. Another time, a bunch of us sat in Snyder's moms seats. Incredible seats 20 feet under Dan and Bruce. That was the night Giants game and the low point of my Fandom.

Point is, don't sweat it my burgundy brother, cheap fun games will happen. 

Hey blue, I'm actually about a half hour north of you. It's not too bad of a drive down to Fed Ex from Harrisburg. However, parking is expensive but is better than hopping around trains from Harrisburg. On a whim, we've always had good luck getting tickets in the parking lot and haven't got scammed yet. When we get them ahead of time, there are a couple of season ticket holders in the area that will eventually put theirs up on the Facebook marketplace. 

Welcome to the Harrisburg area thebluefood! I live in Hampden Township on the west shore and am a season ticket holder. Been driving to games for 15 years. About 2 hours down and 3 hours back IF you park on the lower level. My tips:

• -- Buy lower level tickets to leave the stadium quickly. Waiting on the escalator or walking the ramps puts you in the parking lot with the huge crowd trying to leave. I sit lower level and I'm off the property before most fans are out of the stadium

• --Sometimes you can buy tickets of ES fans here at face value. The best deals on Stub Hub are usually the week before and during game week. Don't bother with the NFL TicketMaster ticket exchange. Fans are not allowed to sell tickets at below face value.
  •  

-- I recommend buying a parking pass. I know, it's $50-75, but you will get home faster than Metro. Metro is very crowded and you will wait for trains to arrive and it is almost a mile walk from the stadium. Parking passes can also be bought on Stub Hub, sometimes as a package with the tickets.

-- Try to buy tickets on the same side or near the gate closest to where your parking pass is located. Be aware that the green parking passes now have very specific parking lot locations and not good for just any green area. Same with the other color passes also.

-- Personally, I think the 200 level seats are the best seats in the stadium. Close view, part of the crowd, and you can still sit during the game. Section 100 along the sidelines will mean you stand all game long. But avoid the obstructed view 200 level seats on the visitor team side. Not worth the much cheaper price for the most part.

Welcome and Enjoy!

Hail!

On 6/19/2017 at 11:48 AM, Busch1724 said:

Hey blue, I'm actually about a half hour north of you. It's not too bad of a drive down to Fed Ex from Harrisburg. However, parking is expensive but is better than hopping around trains from Harrisburg. On a whim, we've always had good luck getting tickets in the parking lot and haven't got scammed yet. When we get them ahead of time, there are a couple of season ticket holders in the area that will eventually put theirs up on the Facebook marketplace. 

On 6/19/2017 at 0:07 PM, SonnyandSam said:

Welcome to the Harrisburg area thebluefood! I live in Hampden Township on the west shore and am a season ticket holder. Been driving to games for 15 years.

Hail!

Thank you all for your welcomes! I'm living in Middletown and I'm glad to be back in this part of the country.

Will consider your advice about the parking situation and the lower level tickets but the emphasis here is on cost instead of convenience. Got my first paycheck from the new job and cleared less than $400. Mind you, I came in during the middle of the pay period, I'm paid twice-a-month, and I get a commission bonus every other month (I'm an ad guy for a magazine) but I'm still BROKE. I'd rather make the walk and deal with the congestion on the Metro if it's cheaper than have to choose between getting groceries and watching the Redskins break my heart in person. Now mind you, if we have a great season and I'm able to score some playoff tickets or something I might just have to stock up on Ramen and rice. :P

Now having said all that, if you all wanna do a carpooling situation where we all chip in for gas and parking, I'm all ears. :)

On 2017-6-20 at 5:29 PM, ddub52 said:

I thought this was gonna be a thread about how we haven't been able to sign Cousins because Bruce Allen is too cheap.

+1

Thebluefood better get his tickets quick. If we sign Kirk to a LTD the tickets prices will go up. Dan needs to get his money back :P

The price of tickets generally falls about a week before the game.  There are great deals to be had in the last 24-36 hrs before kickoff if you are patient and let the secondary market take care of itself.  Parking passes hold their value pretty well, so once you see a decent price on those, grab them.

This thread is a little dated, but has a lot of great info.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:52 PM, thebluefood said:

So I recently moved to the Harrisburg, PA area and I'll be within striking distance of FedEx Field for the first time since I was a kid. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited and I'm hoping to go watch the 'Skins in person (and hopefully not suffer too terribly much in the process).

Having said that, I'm not exactly hauling in a king's ransom and I know the game day experience isn't always cheap - even if you find a good deal for tickets online.

Any suggestions you all have? How far in advance ought one to buy tickets? Would it be best to make a long trip on the Metro (I'd probably have to ride from Shady Grove, transfer onto the Blue Line in the city, then ride that out to Morgan Blvd. and walk to the stadium) or pay up for parking?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Buy tickets right after kickoff at the stadium. Ignore the first 3 offers but understand them. Then offer $20 per ticket less than the 4 or 5th guy asks for when he says no begin to walk away. 

Archived