Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The gym I go to

ThePackisback

It is easily the best place to work out at ever but there is one guy in there that wears the same clothes every day and doesn't shower. He smells up the whole gym in the process and there is another guy with terrible breath that you want to puke. Many days people don't put their weights away and leave their dirty clothes in the locker room or take a dump in the toilet downstairs and forget to flush it. Would this drive anyone else nuts?

I don't think I've ever been close enough to anyone at the gym to smell their breath.  Gym time is me time.  I put my headphones on and block out the world.

As for smelly people I assume we aren't talking about the standard unpleasant gym smells, like fat sweat or bros guzzling protein?  If you mean someone with a miasma about them so powerful that it manages to both trumpet their arrival and declare their recent departure, then I've shared your pain.  I politely attempted to spare a man from further embarrassment once but I received only unkindness in return.  I do not advise it.  There is an outside chance someone in management will have the courage to force their most recent hire to confront the smelly person.  Other than that your only legal options are to join a different gym or switch your workout schedule. You have my pity. 

For the days I can't make it to the gym I resolved the issue by purchasing the Bowflex 560's. Got the rack and bench with it. Once I get my strength back (rotator year) I will just purchase heavier dumbbells as needed. I also have kettlebells and a treadmill, but if it's not raining I run outside anyway. 

Going to the gym is no longer an absolute necessity fore.

8 hours ago, ThePackisback said:

It is easily the best place to work out at ever but there is one guy in there that wears the same clothes every day and doesn't shower. He smells up the whole gym in the process and there is another guy with terrible breath that you want to puke. Many days people don't put their weights away and leave their dirty clothes in the locker room or take a dump in the toilet downstairs and forget to flush it. Would this drive anyone else nuts?

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

Welcome to any gym in America.  You're going to have people that don't put weights away, have BO, bad breath, etc. 

Get swole, do you, and just deal with it. 

RonA is spot-on.  People are pigs at gyms and you just have to deal with it.  I'm willing to bet a "Pet Peeve at the Gym" thread would have hundreds of pages.  That thread could have "sub-threads" and the one on the lack of hygiene and common courtesy would probably have hundreds of pages.   

In that light, WTF is up with people who put their feet all over stuff, that were clearly meant for hands?   It's bad enough that they're sticking their feet, in exercise machine handles, but can you wipe that **** off?  There are plenty of bottles of cleaner and paper-towels.

Our gym, is a decent, but some of the **** members do drives me nuts.  I don't know where to start.   The women, who lay under the Smith machine,do leg presses, with their feet on the bar, then stroll away without wiping it off.  Seriously?  You can't use, hmm....I don't know, one of the many ****ing leg-press machines!?  The same ones will do another type of leg raise exercise, by sticking their feet in handles and, again, they walk away without wiping that **** off.

Can't escape the bull**** in the free-weight area either.  The people who use chalk, in spite of the "no chalk" signs posted throughout. The big dude, who presses 1,000 lbs on the leg press, then leaves all the plates on the machine and, maybe someone can explain this. The people who take off their shoes, and squat in their stanky socks.  I think that's kind of foul.      

Thank God for head-phones too, because some of the stuff that's being said is completely inappropriate.   I'm not being a **** about it, but it's a Gold's Gym, not a hardcore gym for professional body-builders.  There's a mix of ages there.  Show some consideration and respect for other members.   The profanity from some of these guys is pretty bad, and they're pretty loud.  

Rant, over... 

2 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

For the days I can't make it to the gym I resolved the issue by purchasing the Bowflex 560's. Got the rack and bench with it. Once I get my strength back (rotator year) I will just purchase heavier dumbbells as needed. I also have kettlebells and a treadmill, but if it's not raining I run outside anyway. 

Going to the gym is no longer an absolute necessity fore.

Hey Gary!!    I hope all is well!

Unfortunately, going to the gym is necessary, for those of us with small houses and no basements.   You know the gym that Fran and I are members of, so you've seen how disgusting some of the members there can be.   

@ Rick. Yes I do know Rick. That Gold's can be brutal in the free weight room. Whoever decided to put the men's locker room in the same vicinity is well, a dumbass. Inhaling and exhaling was a detriment to my health during sets. ;)

I'm a member of the 'Y' in Pasadena and I must admit it is a great gym. Clean and the place is "yuge."

Hope all is well with you buddy.

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

oh my. I was not taking this topic that serious. 

Man up...it's the gym. 

Umm. Lifting weights is "manning up." Enjoying the stench of a guy who smells like he hasn't wiped his ass? I guess some people have a weird fetish because I certainly don't enjoy the aroma.

Well with the rate of obesity in this country Kosher you should commend people that are getting out and exercising, not criticizing them for commenting on fopeople's inability to bathe  or disrespect others wishes to get their workout done. 

Considering you don't go to the gym I don't think you need to advise those that do how to "man up."

13 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

That's why I have a home gym. You go to the gym expect nastiness, 

Umm...Call those dusty folks out. My wife has a six pack...I have a keg. I'm lazy at the gym...umm...I mean in the other room. 

If our house was big enough, I would definitely have a home gym.    

I do not go to the gym to expect nastiness.    I go with the reasonable expectation of people not being ****ing pigs.  

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Planet Fitness is the judgement free zone.

If one was close enough, I would go there.   Our dilemma is  the Gold's Gym is, literally, across the street from us.   

17 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

Well with the rate of obesity in this country Kosher you should commend people that are getting out and exercising, not criticizing them for commenting on fopeople's inability to bathe  or disrespect others wishes to get their workout done. 

Considering you don't go to the gym I don't think you need to advise those that do how to "man up."

I didn't always have a gym at home. Man up...it's the gym. Filthy, cursing, stinky, etc. Clearly you know that part of the experience. 

I can shoot a PM to one of the Mods to explain to you how gross it can be at a gym, or you can simply be honest about you knowing it. 

I have no problem giving advice on a topic that I know about, and a topic that ANYONE that goes to a gym should already know. 

Certainly not criticizing...simply observing. 

Tell you what. There's the "old" guy that works out in the gym I do who's a bit...different. Doesn't listen to music,kind of has a scowl on his face half the time,wears the same couple of shirts for each workout,and can be a bit noisy with his workouts,(especially when using chains). Does some weird,crossfit kind of stuff sometimes along with some what he calls old school things too. 

Wait a minute. I workout in garage gym. Ummmmmmmm.    :P

I ended up putting together my own personal gym at home. I did this for two reasons, one being that when I did belong to a gym I hated waiting for the equipment and a lot of people didn't clean them off when they were done and two, because I have bad social anxiety. 

It may seem like an expensive endeavor but Amazon normally has good deals on dumb bells and just about anything else you need you can find on Craigslist for cheap and hardly used at all. Not to mention you can pretty much get great cardio without any equipment whatsoever. If you have the room I'd consider looking into it. It alleviates a lot of the gym headaches. 

Archived