Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - A closer look at the development of Redskins wide receiver Jamison Crowder

Aireskoi

This article was posted by Hap in Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News, but I thought it needed a thread in the Stadium for a couple of reasons.

1.  It was as well done as any article I've read.  He combined the players quotes with the video and pictures of the plays he was discussing, and he also gave his own commentary.  I think it's pretty cool that he heard them talking on the radio and went to find examples of the plays.

2.  I couldn't find a Jamison Crowder thread to post in.  This young man is our all time rookie receptions leading WR, and I don't think it was a fluke.  I love the way he plays the game, he's another one of those "football players" that Scot likes to have on the team.  So rare (in our recent past) to have as much hype as he had last Summer, and then to actually play above that level.

He's quick, strong, smart, and tough.  He was able to do so much last year, and I think it's only going to get better as he and McVay grow together in this offense.

https://www.washingt...amison-crowder/

Here, Crowder is stacked behind Garcon. The Jets defenders are playing what Crowder referred to as ‘in-and-out,’ meaning the outside defender takes the first receiver to break outside while the inside defender takes the first receiver to break inside. As Crowder explains, Washington has Garcon release to the outside to take the outside corner away. That leaves Crowder one-on-one with the inside defender on his choice route.

Here’s how the play looks on the field:

*gifs at link*

Crowder: So a lot of times when I get that leverage, I know I can set him up and I’ll just break out because I’m already outside leverage on him and I just have that open. But I got to set it up though, in a way so the defender can’t just jump the route.

Just as Crowder explained, the inside defender played with inside leverage, signaling Crowder to break to the outside. Crowder gains plenty of separation and makes an easy catch for a first down.

click on the link for more

I think he'll be very good for us, but his size will always concern me.

We have the same first name, so I'm in his corner. Ols

With the smaller guys I worry as well, but I think he's built for this game.  I know it's way early to compare him, but Steve Smith was 5'9 184 at the combine.  He's put on 20+ lbs. in his 16 seasons, and he's always had the toughness.

Our guy is 5'8 and was 185 at the combine.  

Some Panther fans and his former QB were seeing the similarities pre-draft as well.

http://www.carolinacatchronicles.com/newsfeed/2015/4/2/panther-draft-prospect-jamison-crowder-defying-laws-of-nature

Every once in a while, along comes an athlete that defies the laws of nature.  Common sense tells you that someone 5’8/ 185lbs can not physically play with “the big boys” in the NFL.  DBs today are 6'2/215 lbs and run 4.4 40s. How can someone 5'8 compete?  The last WR of that size that could and is familiar to Panther fans was that little guy out of Utah.  Who, by the way, is our All-Time leading Receiver.  I clearly recall when Panther fans were highly ticked off at then coach and GM, George Seifert for picking him.  “How in the world do you waste a 3rd round pick on a 5’8 punt returner?" fans asked.  I contend it could happen again.

Is He Steve Smith 2.0?

At the Duke pro day, his College QB, Anthony Boone, told reporters that Crowder has a little Steve Smith in him. That he plays with an edge about him, but that he is quiet and does not talk a lot.  So maybe he’ll turn into an evolved Steve Smith.  One that fits Carolina's locker room.  But let’s face it, he has a long ways to go to be truly be able to be mentioned in the same category as Smitty.  However, I do see him as a better prospect than 89 was coming out of Utah.  The rest is up to Crowder and how good he wants to be. 

I think he's more like a smaller Jarvis Landry, and that will be just fine. Smith had elite speed and incredible physicality at the catch point...Crowder hasn't exhibited either of those qualities yet.

That'd be great if he was a quiet Steve Smith 2.0.

Could you imagine? Especially if Doc can be a true #1 and Grant a #2. We'd be set for a while.

That would require Grant to make it to the 53, which is not a given by now. There's so much expectation on a guy that haven't shown much.

Still, great article from the author, loved the pick, when we made it. Loved the guy when he started to shine for us. Can't wait to see him into action again this year.

I think he's more like a smaller Jarvis Landry, and that will be just fine. Smith had elite speed and incredible physicality at the catch point...Crowder hasn't exhibited either of those qualities yet.

Well, it's the offseason, so lets dig into this a little.

I'm not sure what a smaller Jarvis Landry would look like, but Landry is 5'11 and over 200lbs.  Jarvis had a best 40 time of 4.58 at his pro day, but Jamison was faster than that at his pro day.

Crowder PRO DAY RESULTS 

40-yard dash: 4.46 and 4.48 seconds 

Landry on the Combine track - 4.77

Crowder on the Combine track - 4.56

Steve Smith, by comparison ran a 4.39 at his combine, so he is elite there.

Best 20 yard shuttle:

Landry - 4.59

Smith - 4.25

Crowder - 4.26

Best 3 Cone:

Landry - 7.56

Smith - 7.44

Crowder - 6.99

Best Vertical Jump:

Landry - 31.5

Smith - 38.5

Crowder - 37

Broad Jump:

Landry - 9' 05"

Smith - 10' 01"

Crowder - 10' 03"

Analysys (NFL.com)

Landry:

WEAKNESSES Has a fairly lean frame -- could stand to bulk up and get stronger in order to combat the jam. Lacks elite explosiveness and top-end speed -- does not have an extra gear to take the top off. Average line release, acceleration and suddenness. Could struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch cornerbacks. Large percentage of catches are contested. Lacks ideal height and is not a great leaper. Started just 12 career games.

Crowder:

STRENGTHS Great instant acceleration. Will burst out of cuts and gain separation when working underneath. Good route-runner who consistently gets on top of defenders quicker than they expect. Will sink hips and snap his route off abruptly. Has experience as both outside and slot wide receiver. Will give effort as a blocker. Has return experience in special teams.

I see Landry as a possession guy who will somehow make the contested catch and move the chains, I see Crowder as that and so much more.  I do of course acknowledge that there are similarities to their games as well.  I think Landry is a tough player who will block and take the hits needed to play over the middle, but is he durable like Crowder?

Landry:

Suffered a stress fracture in his foot in the summer of 2011. As a true freshman in the fall, saw limited action in 14 games (one start) and scratched four receptions for 43 yards (10.8) and zero touchdowns. Added 11 tackles on special teams. Played all 13 games in '12 (one start), producing 56-573-5 (10.2) with nine special-teams tackles. Was the Tigers' leading receiver in '13 -- started 10-of-13 games and racked up 77-1,193-10 (15.5). Was bothered by a foot injury in October. Strained his right hamstring running the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and ran only one route in drills.

Finished career as one of the most productive wide receivers in school history with 137 catches for 1,809 yards and 15 touchdowns ... Played in 40 games with 12 starts during three years at LSU … Had best season as a junior when he caught 77 passes for 1,193 yards and 10 TDs.  He returned 5 kickoffs and 3 punts.

Crowder:

2011 - played in all 12 games

2012 - started all 13 games

2013 - started all 14 games

2014 - started all 13 games

in 52 career games (40 starts), caught 283 passes for 3,641 yards (12.87) and 23 TDs … rushed 21 times for 135 yards (6.43) and one TD … returned 44 kickoffs for 930 yards (21.14) … returned 65 punts for 869 yards (13.37) and four TDs … completed 2-of-4 (.500) passes for 33 yards and one TD … amassed 5,575 all-purpose yards … scored 168 points on 28 TDs

As for the Steve Smith comparison, it's tough to just throw a HOF type name around for a 1 year player.  I think back to the Steve Smith that was a 1 year player before he made the name for himself, and I can compare the two players easier.  They have the 'chip on their shoulder' that is needed to be a smaller guy in the NFL.  

After going through this process I would not take the 2nd round Jarvis Landry over our 4th Round Jamison Crowder, and I wouldn't have guessed that going in.  

He's gonna be one of those pesky annoying types that other teams hate to play against. Like our version of Edelman/Amendola. You focus so much on the big names like Reed and Jackson and then Crowder comes in and catches every 3rd and 7 underneath slant.

Here are my “Top 5” Crowder plays of all time:

1.  Catch against Bucs on winning TD Drive

2.  TD catch Saints game

3.  2-point conversion catch in 2nd Eagles game

4.  Screen catch and run on first TD drive in 2nd Dallas game

5.  TD catch of tipped ball in Ravens game (pre-season)

I have no clue where Smith started out on the field with the Panthers, but he made a name for himself as outside #1/WR. Most project Crowder to continue working from the inside as a slot WR.

Is there a chance he could be an outside WR??

I have no clue where Smith started out on the field with the Panthers, but he made a name for himself as outside #1/WR. Most project Crowder to continue working from the inside as a slot WR.

Is there a chance he could be an outside WR??

Smith was always an outside WR, but his rookie year he mainly made a HUGE impact on punt returns, which was a sign of playmaking ability to come. Then he hit his stride as a WR in his second and third years.

Good post above Aireskoi. The Landry comp wasn't a negative...his YPC leaves something to be desired but like with Welker, that's a function of the offense and his role in it, he's basically a running game replacement with all of his short targets over the middle. Landry is a really good young player, and we'd be lucky if Crowder never got better than Landry is right now...which won't stop me from hoping that he does, of course. I do find it interesting that you compare their durability as if Crowder has given you a reason to place him on top in that category...regardless of their college history, Crowder is a 5'8" guy with one 60 catch season under his belt, whereas Landry is a 5'11", slightly more built guy with 195 catches, 30 carries and a ton of punt returns under his belt in just two years. Landry has been a workhorse so far, if that expression can be applied to WR's.

Either way they are both exciting young players, and I still think the comp fits pretty well, watching them both play a lot on an NFL field, regardless of the measurables.

He's gonna be one of those pesky annoying types that other teams hate to play against. Like our version of Edelman/Amendola. You focus so much on the big names like Reed and Jackson and then Crowder comes in and catches every 3rd and 7 underneath slant.

Instead of Steve Smith, I tend to agree that Crowder reminds me more of Edelman/Amendola.  Maybe even Wes Welker.  Hey, I would  take that.

As you probably know, Charley Casserly is on record as picking the Skins receiving corp (including the TE) as No. 1 in the NFL.  I think a case can certainly be made for that, and Crowder will be an integral part of that corp.

I'm a big fan of crowder but the steve smith and jarvis landry comparisons are funny. He's good and seems to be a talented nfl player, but let's not get ridiculous.

His qb and coach will get him stats though, I see him as the aforementioned PITA slot guy though for the forseeable future, which is great.

He reminds me of McCardel (sp?) who played with Jacksonville.  He was always thought to be too small, but ran the routes extremely well and always seemed able to bail his QB out with a great catch on third down to move the chains.

He reminds me of McCardel (sp?) who played with Jacksonville. He was always thought to be too small, but ran the routes extremely well and always seemed able to bail his QB out with a great catch on third down to move the chains.

You remember he played and coached for us too, right?

A common statement from coaches/writers/etc I hear is the rule of thumb for a WR to turn the corner is the 3rd year in the NFL.  That's when a good WR will establish himself. 

We have Garcon (Possession/Route Runner) and DJax (Deep Threat).  Last year we draft a small quick guy, who maybe can be a deep threat and this year we take a taller/bigger guy in Doctson who can be the Possession guy.

Now, if Garcon/DJax get the right deals, I wouldn't mind them sticking around.  But definitely setting ourselves up to continue to be strong in that position if people walk.

Bornaskinsfan83 I believe you mean you were having flashbacks to Antwan Randle El returning punts right? Maybe I am wrong but that is who Crowder kept reminding me of last season returning punts, lots of side movement and never seeming to get up field. Crowder was great at WR but if his punt returning does not improve I'd be surprised if someone doesn't take that job off his hands.

He reminds me of Gary Clark.  Great routes.  Tough, smallish, over the middle guy who won't get as much pub as some of the others, but will help us win a lot of games.  Gary was more a deep threat.  I expect Crowder to run more deep routes this year.

Since he broke (I think he did) the Skins rookie reception record last year with 59, I would like to point out that Gary Clark was the first player in NFL history to post 50+ receptions his first ten years in the league.  THolt and MHarrison have done so since.  

Maybe Crowder can shoot for that. :)

Best of luck to him in the upcoming season. It obvious that Kirk and the coaches trust him. My only concern is that he may have AlMo syndrome---a bunch of yards but not many touchdowns.

Shouldn't really be a concern, that's the nature of that type of WR, no biggie.

Archived