Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everyone loves a good redemption story... we have at least three

Burgold

Everyone loves a good redemption story. The player coming back from a devastating injury or personal tragedy to lead his team into the sunset.  The coach beset my ugly ducklings who lost his own chance at greatness and turns them into mighty ducks. Even the nasty business owner who is beset by three spirits and finds the road back to redemption.

The Redskins are set up for so many great redemption stories (or a hell of a tragedy)

Redemption one: The Golden Child

He came in to trumpets being hailed as savior. Everyone loved the young demigod graced by the God with the arm of Hercules and the feet of Hermes. More so, when he took to the field and slew dragons, Giants, Cowboys, and foe after foe, but woe jealous Athena told a carrion eater, a Raven of foulest temperament where this hero's Achilles heel was. It was in his knee.

And so began the long return. Now, our hero is scorned, disliked, hated by those who once cheered him.  His road is beset by many trials and even his fellows (if whispers are to be believed doubt in him) can the hero return?

Redemption 2: The General

He won everywhere he went. This man was not nobly born, but a peasant and fought not on the grandest fields, but in distant lands with second class mercenaries as his band. He with them and beside him and oh did he win laurels. So much so that the jeweled city noticed him and they took him and there too did he succeed. He took an army of tigers and groomed their cub to victory after victory.  Still, as a captain, he was not wholly loved. They doubted his strategy and ability to run the war. Still, it was enough to earn him a posting to a battered, but important outpost.  And for ambition or duty, this captain, took the mantle. 

Here for the first time he failed. He failed horribly. His defenses rarely held and his offenses barely budged the enemy lines. Oh, how the masses turn quickly. He was never fit, they howled. He had no business being chosen. His speeches do not inspire his troops. His words betray them.  His strategies are too primitive! Too easily undone!

And look what he has done to the Golden child.  He has put him at jeopardy too. Have the Gods abandoned them both. And now in mere months, the enemy will be on the door step.  Will this General overcome?

Redemption 3: The Fop

They say he only attained position because he married into it. In his first foray, the Kingdom lost two counties. He was banished, demoted to train knights far away from the field of battle, but the peasant General remembered the fop.  Remembered him as someone who treated him kindly and as his own men look dubiously upon his chances, he reaches out.  Madness, the peasants shout. Insanity, the aristocrats below.

"I will put you in front of our defenses!" The General growls defiantly and the Fop agrees eager for a second chance. Will his men fight with him or laugh at him for his foppishness? Can he prove all wrong for only the General it seems believes in him? After last season's slaughter are there even the quality of troops remaining to hold against a charge?

These are the primary tales of redemption... all we need is a happy ending. We are in a very dark chapter of the tale though and it is not certain who the hero is to be yet... or even if this story has a hero.

I believe we'll be more competitive then people give us credit for.  Year 2 in this system, the majority of our players who be a Redskin next year will be more comfortable, we have an excellent Oline coach and scout team now that will get us the best possible protection we can find...

A new DC in town who has something to prove.  Hopefully we walk away from the draft with a stud DE who will help collapsing the pocket, allowing our OLBs one-on-one or to give a a DB a clear path to the QB.  An improved pass rush will help our DBs out tremendously even if Raheem is still the DB coach.  I want to see how our LBs do as far as progression under Baker.  Bake is a terrific coach and seems to have that fire to keep our players on their toes and make sure their best year is yet to come.

My early prediction is 7-9... Which would be a successful season in my book.  Baby steps fellas, baby steps.

Everyone loves a good redemption story. The player coming back from a devastating injury or personal tragedy to lead his team into the sunset. The coach beset my ugly ducklings who lost his own chance at greatness and turns them into mighty ducks. Even the nasty business owner who is beset by three spirits and finds the road back to redemption.

The Redskins are set up for so many great redemption stories (or a hell of a tragedy)

Redemption one: The Golden Child

He came in to trumpets being hailed as savior. Everyone loved the young demigod graced by the God with the arm of Hercules and the feet of Hermes. More so, when he took to the field and slew dragons, Giants, Cowboys, and foe after foe, but woe jealous Athena told a carrion eater, a Raven of foulest temperament where this hero's Achilles heel was. It was in his knee.

And so began the long return. Now, our hero is scorned, disliked, hated by those who once cheered him. His road is beset by many trials and even his fellows (if whispers are to be believed doubt in him) can the hero return?

Redemption 2: The General......

10 years on this message board and this could be the best post I've ever read. I get tired of reading all of posts claiming that it's automatic that the Skins suck again next year. I'm not saying the opposite is true either, I'm just saying that none of us know. We, as a fan base wanted change and we got it!

Let's see how it works out, for ****'s sake! Any of these redemption stories coming true would be a great thing

I think that's true. It's also fair to consider that if this were a story it'd be the bleakest part. The hero broken and vilified, the bad guy triumphant and surging forward (possibly w deflated footballs), and all hope seemingly gone.

We are in the part of the movie where we are supposed to despair. Smaug has just burned our city and we have one arrow left after a thousand have already pinged off the great beast uselessly.

Uhh ... confused but who is the "General?"

Everything sounded like Gruden except he hasn't succeeded here at all lol.

Yeah, it was Gruden. I'd have to reread but I intended to hint that his successes were in minor league football as a general and then as a captain or OC I'm the bigs

Redemption 2: The General

He with them and beside him and oh did he win laurels. So much so that the jeweled city noticed him and they took him and there too did he succeed.

Haha ... okay it sounded 100% like Grudes then I read this ... and it threw me. But great post, I was just nitpicking! I thought Jeweled City was Washington but it sounds like you were just referring to CIncy/chance at an NFL O

Haha ... okay it sounded 100% like Grudes then I read this ... and it threw me. But great post, I was just nitpicking! I thought Jeweled City was Washington but it sounds like you were just referring to CIncy/chance at an NFL O

Heck, you're doing well. With some of the posts I read on ES I was wondering if anyone would figure out who the Golden Child is :silly:

Great post Burgold.

That's exactly where we are right now. But to an extend, it might also be Redemption for the owner and the army as a whole, because it's been beaten ugly those last years. And it's time for it to shine again.

I think if I were to write the King's (Owner's) redemption story, it would probably be King Leer. Not that I could write King Leer as it's already been written. Then again, maybe it's not Leer. It's the story of a peasant boy who made good and through hubris thought he knew it all, was mislead by evil advisors until his Kingdom was on the brink of collapse.  A goodly hero from the past was summoned by the mightiest wizard and he stayed the evil for a time, but the enchantment that kept him upon this plane wore thin and he returned into the past, leaving the King surrounded by fools, sycophants, and the corrupt.  Will he learn who his true friends and allies are? Will he trust his one wise advisor? Is there time to rebuild the Kingdom before it is pillaged and torn apart?

Hmmm Orakpo?

/running lol

Actually, Orakpo would be another good redemptive tale... Alas, another tale of woe...

10 years on this message board and this could be the best post I've ever read. I get tired of reading all of posts claiming that it's automatic that the Skins suck again next year. I'm not saying the opposite is true either, I'm just saying that none of us know. We, as a fan base wanted change and we got it!

Let's see how it works out, for ****'s sake! Any of these redemption stories coming true would be a great thing

And it was entertaining, in a Game of Thrones, short story kind of way.

Just say we disagree. We will have to see how 2015 shakes out.

The Golden Child gets his last chance at redemption.Alas, he fails to sieze the moment.  He doesn't become the hero, he was back in ancient times- 2012 A.D. but becomes the goat in modern times -  2015 A.D.  It becomes clear by the end of the season, his tale in D.C. is over and The Savior- Lord Scott looks for a new warrior to lead our charges into battle in 2016.

The General proves he is outmatched. He gets stripped of his rank and is banished to the land of ex-coaches around the time of old hallows eve. 

The Fop shows us more the same that we got in the days of Sir Has lett. He to gets banished at the end of 2015.

My poor attempt at a different response but I just don't believe in your tale of Redemption.  I see a tale of more tragedy.

I don't want a redemption story! Screw redemption stories, I want a story of bloody conquest filled with the wailing lamentations of super-model wives! I want tales of sea hag slaying warriors covered the blood of their enemies!

If I want a stupid redemption story, I'll watch a sap show at the movie theater.

Just say we disagree. We will have to see how 2015 shakes out.

The Golden Child gets his last chance at redemption.Alas, he fails to sieze the moment.  He doesn't become the hero was back in ancient times- 2012 A.D. but becomes the goat in modern times -  2015 A.D.  It becomes clear by the end of the season, his tale in D.C. is over and The Savior- Lord Scott looks for a new warrior to lead our charges into battle in 2016.

The General proves he is outmatched. He gets stripped of his rank and is banished to the land of ex-coaches around the time of old hallows eve. 

The Fop shows us more the same that we got in the days of Sir Has lett. He to gets banished at the end of 2015.

My poor attempt at a different response but I just don't believe in your tale of Redemption.  I see a tale of more tragedy.

This is very likely what happens.  I figure there's a ten percent chance that we get the redemption story we should be hoping for (that'd be all three coming through). Alas, if Gruden flops then the Golden Child does as well... as does the Fop of course.  We won't take a risk with a new contract on RGIII except on the very cheap if the barbarians sweep through and a new general is installed.

Edit: NickyJ-- We all want that and a redemption story could give ya that (at least in the sense of the Redskins conquering all their enemies on the field of battle) If it winds up being a backstage story... one of assassinations and poisoning to kill the king (Long live the King) well, that's a different kind of bloody.

Reminds me of the Epic of Grudenwald.  Goes something like this.

Once upon a time, there was a prosperous shining city upon a hill run by a beloved country Squire.  Though he had been born ages ago of lowly rank, the boy who would become Squire constantly rose above his station in life through his hard work and ingenuity.  While many thought he could never be more than a simple cook like his father, Squire Jack designed cities and towers, planned great festivals and horse races.  He grew wealthy from shrewd trading at a very young age, and was soon made condottiere of this shining city.  He chose able administrators and gave out free seat cushions to all, and was beloved by both noble and peasant alike.  Sadly, age would eventually overtake him, and just before a great edifice was completed in his honor, he slipped off into that good night.

"What now?" the people wondered.  He had left behind a son, a kind and gentle soul, but none thought him capable of guiding their fair city.

"Pick me!" the evil leprechaun shouted out.  "I have seen a rainbow, and I know how to find the pot of gold at the other end."

It seemed like an absurd proposition, but the leprechaun used the black arts to deceive them all and place himself upon the throne. To run his kingdom as he saw fit, he hired an unemployed eunuch named Casterato.  The bug-eyed brute went to the far corners of all the kingdoms with the city's gold to enlist the services of aging mercenaries.  

Of course, there was no pot of gold - ne'er a soul caught even a glimpse of a rainbow, so the leprechaun had to levy more onerous taxes to pay for his collections of miscreants.  Eventually the populace became so impoverished they were left with nothing for sustenance but rancid beer from the Valley of Fifa, and stale peanuts. Eventually, the peasants revolted.  Unable to storm the castle (the leprechaun had destroyed all the forest region around his private castle in order to provide himself with ample warning of potential attacks), the peasants threw sackcloths over their heads and threatened to withhold taxes.

Sensing a need for a change in appearances, the leprechaun brought in the Old Man of the Mountain, as well as a new court jester, the witch Brucehilde. But the Man of the Mountain had no real magic at all - it had all been an illusion created by the intoxicants now legally available.  He tried to play upon the naivete of the masses, promising magic from both the witch Brucehilde and also his new eunuch, Witch Hazelett.  

Realizing the deception could not endure much longer, the Man of the Mountain emptied all the city's coffers to buy a magical beast - half man, half lion, and wings of gold.  It was the elusive Gryphon.  Most had thought it was merely a mythical creature. The mere sight of the beast froze enemy attackers where they stood, terrified of what he might do next.  Such success proved to be ephemeral. Wounded in battle, all the armies of the land ascertained that the beast was mortal, and stormed the city's defenses.  Most were astonished at how weak the city's defenses had become.  Witch Hazelett had made the walls look bigger with mirrors, and obscured gaping holes with plumes of smoke.  He had never even bothered to fortify the walls, and the corners were collapsing.

The Man of the Mountain fled the onslaught.  The coven of witches Brucehilde and Hazelett blamed him for the city's collapse.  Witch Hazelett even claimed he had been confined to a dungeon with his nether regions soaking in a tank of rabid lobsters when the collapse occurred.  Brucehilde assured all that the next year's harvest would be bountiful, and all would be right in the land.  There was still one great hope left for the city to return to its previous era of prosperity - bring in the services of Grudenwald, the simple minded younger brother of the deposed King John.

Grudenwald reassured all he had a plan.  No longer would the Gryphon beast roam the battlefield.  Instead, he must direct troop movements from the city's watchtower.  When the Gryphon complained, Grudenwald reprimanded him.  "You spend far to much time with that mystical book of faces.  The Monday Night is dark and full of terrors, but all you want to be is the Lord of Likes."

The witches Brucehilde and Hazelett did nothing to strengthen the city's defenses, save for building bigger mirrors and blowing out more smoke.  Time and again, all defensive plans and preparations were laid to waste.  As another battle season passed, the leprechaun realized his grip on power was diminishing.  He brought in an admiral from a distant shore and begged for his aid.

The admiral saw the sorry state of affairs and thought "I picked a bad week to give up drinking."

"You need more local conscripts and fewer mercenaries," he chastised. "And enough with the mirrors - they crack at the first sign of battle.  Who designed such nonsense?"  Hearing such rumblings, Witch Hazelett put on her finest dress and fled the city, and the witch Brucehilde immediately announced she would only be concerned in the future with agricultural matters.

Grudenwald, meanwhile, insisted his plans had been right all along, but had simply not been executed properly.  Not wanting to deal too harshly with the brother of a former king, the Admiral allowed Grudenwald to maintain his station. Grudenwald then went out to seek a new minister of defense.  He soon came across a berry farmer, an average Joe who had married his niece Nelly.  "Oh no," Grudenwald thought.  "He wants to use our friendship and family ties to become a part of the court.  If only a better man than this man of berries had married Nelly."  Alas, none else wanted the job, and the man of berries who had married Nelly was put in charge of defense.

The admiral then approached the leprechaun privately. "The Grudenwald and his men will never bring this city peace and prosperity, no matter how many fresh horses I bring them."

"What do you suggest?" the leprechaun snorted back.

"I will begin an alliance with the Turks," the Admiral explained.  "Their Janissairies are experts at assassination.  If no new conquests are made and the city's defenses fall again, a Turk will come for them all." 

I thought the Fop was going to be Bruce, what with the suits and all.

I considered making a tale about Bruce too. I wonder if he'd be the disgraced heir or son of a grand general/wizard? But I also wanted to leave the door open so others could weave their redemptive tales as Riggo did.

Archived