Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Amerson is the worst CB in football according to PFF

aqq

so biggers is 100, brieland is 97, and amerson is 108.  

either we have 3 terrible cornerbacks

or

jim haslett is an atrocious D coordinator

brieland and amerson are young and have talent.  haslett is old and has never coached a good defense in his life.  until another guy comes in here and those guys are all still terrible, then ill believe it wasnt scheme.  someone pull up biggers numbers in tampa, because if i remember correctly he was considered a pretty good pickup for us (and has been beyond awful).

They did. He was ranked 100 out of 108 with Breeland coming in at 97

This is why I don't believe half of what I see from PFF.  They had us rated as having one of the top 10 offensive lines in the entire league also.  You cannot tell me that Breeland is the 97th best CB in the league.  He played very well this year.

As for Amerson; he didn't have a very good season, but he still has a lot of upside.  I remember reading that one of his strengths coming out of college was that he was physical at the line and good in bump-and-run coverage.  Yet, all season long, I saw him playing 10 yards off the receiver.  Why is he not playing up at the line and getting jams on the receivers?  He's just one of the many that have regressed this year for whatever reason.

I remember reading that one of his strengths coming out of college was that he was physical at the line and good in bump-and-run coverage.  Yet, all season long, I saw him playing 10 yards off the receiver.  Why is he not playing up at the line and getting jams on the receivers?  

Because that is what the defensive call tells him to do. Morris is coaching him to play that far off the ball in whatever down and distance situation you saw him in. 

Because that is what the defensive call tells him to do. Morris is coaching him to play that far off the ball in whatever down and distance situation you saw him in. 

Problem is, the down and distance is what stood out to me.  I can't remember how many times I saw less than 5 yards to go and he's playing 10 yards off the receiver (it was rather often though).  If that's the defensive call, then it's just more evidence of why Haslett and Morris need to go.

Amerson has the potential to be good he just isn't what he should be right now. In college he was very aggressive, pressed a lot, and really looked to drive on the ball. Now he plays soft, gives cushions, and never seems to care about going for the ball, but rather just keeping the guy in front of him to limit the YAC. He has always been vulnerable on the double move, but in College he made up for it by getting a bunch of ints. I don't know if I saw him in position to even attempt to pick off a ball this year, maybe one that he dropped? He isn't playing smart, and some of it may certainly be on him, some of it on the coaching. If he keeps making the same mistakes over and over its either the coach, or the player, in which case he shouldn't be starting. 

He will still be 23 going into next season, plenty of time to right the ship. He did have some good games this year. I know everyone gave Breeland all of the credit in the first Cowboys game, and deservedly so I love that guy, but Amerson played just as well in that one. 

I feel like he and Breeland would benefit from running more cover 2 man at times. Give him a safety over the top at times and let him be aggressive at times.

Like the above poster mentioned we knew he would be a coverage risk at times due to his aggressive nature but he'd also get us some pick at times. So in certain situations (obvious passing downs) give him a chance to make a play and if he dont make it (which happens because receivers are sick now days) he'll have help.

I think he would benefit from this and be a better corner.

I feel like he and Breeland would benefit from running more cover 2 man at times. Give him a safety over the top at times and let him be aggressive at times.

Like the above poster mentioned we knew he would be a coverage risk at times due to his aggressive nature but he'd also get us some pick at times. So in certain situations (obvious passing downs) give him a chance to make a play and if he dont make it (which happens because receivers are sick now days) he'll have help.

I think he would benefit from this and be a better corner.

I think that's good if you have safeties that can cover.  They would both be better suited for that.

Bring on the Tampa 2?

The secondary was really a disaster by everyone involved.  I don't know how you end up playing off, but also getting beat deep any time they want to take a shot.  The short passes are wide open, or they can run deep with no one chasing them.

I just want to see contested passes when the ball is in the air.  This team left so many guys wide open this year.

Coaching and scheme.  This team should have been a step ahead of offenses after 5 years in 1 system.  Figures the one coach that ever gets to see his plan play out for 5 years was Haslett.

Oh my god this site has turned into a cluster-**** of negativity.

Bad on bad on bad. Just so much piling on with you guys. Can we just give it a break for a day or so?

The Stadium is no fun anymore. Just a **** cloud of negativity.

BOOM! There goes my head. It just exploded.

rJnzPwT.gif

I'm with ya man.  The need to break down and crap on every player immediately after the last game of the season is growing tiresome. I understand the anger, aggression, etc., but everyone should just take at least 2 weeks off and come back with more level headed posts.  

Thank God for the Tailgate.......that's all I'll say :D

I'm not sure I understand fans like you guys. The guy ranked dead last by a trusted scouting service. The Redskins finished dead last in the NFC East for the 2nd year in a row and 4 out of 5. Are we as fans supposed to wait 2 weeks and feel better about everything?

Don't buy it. Call it a sophomore slump. Call it the Haslett effect. I think the kid has talent and ain't the worst.  He had a bad year, but he also got little help from pass rush, little help from the safties, and absolutely no help from playcalling.

Worst? Probably not. But he's not very good. He wouldn't be a starter on a some teams IMO. Not trying to knock him. Just saying, we SERIOUSLY lack talent in the secondary ...and D line ...and LB.  :(

I'm not sure I understand fans like you guys. The guy ranked dead last by a trusted scouting service. The Redskins finished dead last in the NFC East for the 2nd year in a row and 4 out of 5. Are we as fans supposed to wait 2 weeks and feel better about everything?

It's been 72 hours since the final game. How about taking a step back, take a deep breath and exhale. This constant he sucks, they suck, we're the worst piling on is exhausting. Take a break and enjoy other aspects of life. Then come back in a while and assess needs for next season. Instant gratification generation strikes again I guess.

It's been 72 hours since the final game. How about taking a step back, take a deep breath and exhale. This constant he sucks, they suck, we're the worst piling on is exhausting. Take a break and enjoy other aspects of life. Then come back in a while and assess needs for next season. Instant gratification generation strikes again I guess.

Instant gratification? Dude, just read your sig. It has nothing to do with instant gratification anymore. It has to do with being sick of being in last place every other season.

They do suck. Not sure what you expect any of us to say really. I highly doubt 72 hours is going to make us suddenly not feel so down on this team.

I think Amerson still has the potential to be a solid DB.

He's made his fair share of mistakes but its also fair to say his coaches have exposed him at times which won't have helped his development.

Where do you draw the line between hating on the coach and hating on the player. Sure they may both suck, but we've ditched our DC so take a deep breath and step away from the ledge on some of these younger players for now IMO.

You also have to realize how nonsensical Haslett's philosophy is. Haslett loves zero coverage and mass blitzes. This forces the QB to throw quickly to avoid pressure. So, to compliment his rush, he plays the defensive backs ten yards off the receivers meaning that the passer always has an outlet.

His blitz strategy is nullified by his coverage strategy. It's part of why his defenses suck. You can't blitz seven and play prevent with four and expect good results.

I wouldn't say haz "loves" sending everyone. But it was the only way to bring real pressure w our personell. Without a serious upgrade in talent the next coordinator will be faced w the same choice.

Fans like us?  You mean ones that can approach everything level headed and not make a cluster **** of negative threads in the forum?  Did anywhere we say we were not ticked off, angry at what this team has become?  No, we didn't.  

It's already bad enough and after the complete ass kicking we got by Dallas to end an already horrific season, it would do some good for everyone, myself included, to take some time off from the forums and stop posting stupid **** and starting individual threads about player X, player Y, coach Z, etc.  

Crying and ****ing about it on a forum board isn't going to magically replace Amerson with Revis.  Everyone that is a fan knows how ****ty our defensive backfield is, no need to continue bringing it up and then singling out each player in a separate thread.

I wouldn't say haz "loves" sending everyone. But it was the only way to bring real pressure w our personell. Without a serious upgrade in talent the next coordinator will be faced w the same choice.

No it''s not, I bet if we play man to man and bump and run with our corners we'd get a lot more pressure then with 10 yard cushions or cover 0 blitzes. We need coverage sacks instead of getting burned by all out blitzes or giving up 3rd and 5's because our corners are 10 yards back. Let these guys play and be physical, coach scared and players will play scared..

Fans like us?  You mean ones that can approach everything level headed and not make a cluster **** of negative threads in the forum?  Did anywhere we say we were not ticked off, angry at what this team has become?  No, we didn't.  

It's already bad enough and after the complete ass kicking we got by Dallas to end an already horrific season, it would do some good for everyone, myself included, to take some time off from the forums and stop posting stupid **** and starting individual threads about player X, player Y, coach Z, etc.  

Crying and ****ing about it on a forum board isn't going to magically replace Amerson with Revis.  Everyone that is a fan knows how ****ty our defensive backfield is, no need to continue bringing it up and then singling out each player in a separate thread.

Or complaining about said thread and then posting in it while bashing others for, you guessed it, posting in it...

The thread is about a player being graded as "the worst". If you guys don't want to see negative comments about players in a "the worst" thread, don't bother clicking on it.

Honestly you make no sense. You say take a break and enjoy other aspect of life yet your still on here complaining. Forums are for discussion, celebrating and venting. I dont see the problem. If you want to take a break or if your exhausted by the negativity then don't read the threads otherwise deal with it. The Redskins, during the Dan Synder era, are a embarrassment of a organization. 2 weeks will not make me feel better about this organization.

More specifically to this thread the season is over and a respected scouting service rated Amerson the worst CB in football. Now you may not agree with how they rate players but i find it tough for you to argue that it isnt worth a post. I'm not sure i understand your instant gratification comment either. Frankly I dont think u do either.  

Instant gratification? Dude, just read your sig. It has nothing to do with instant gratification anymore. It has to do with being sick of being in last place every other season.

They do suck. Not sure what you expect any of us to say really. I highly doubt 72 hours is going to make us suddenly not feel so down on this team.

I think your missing his point.  Nobody said we are going to feel better about this team in 72 hours, or 2 weeks, or a month.  But immediately after another season like this and getting our asses blown out at home by Dallas week 17, everyone's rage meter is off the charts.  

People are piling on every player, coach, owner, gm, and most importantly, ourselves.  People are posting some of the most ridiculous **** I've ever read in my life on here.  People are posting repetitive bashing threads that are already on here.  People are acting like assholes to their fellow posters.

Taking a step back to cool off for a bit should help everyone make more productive posts.  Doesn't mean you won't still be angry at the way the organization has been ran or the poor performance of the team.  But maybe it would lead to more rational posts/thread topics with a little shred of dignity.

Or complaining about said thread and then posting in it while bashing others for, you guessed it, posting in it...

The thread is about a player being graded as "the worst". If you guys don't want to see negative comments about players in a "the worst" thread, don't bother clicking on it.

That's the best you could come up with?  My man PJ was just trying to be a voice of reason in here.  So instead of taking your own advice and ignoring something you don't agree with (specifically our posts), you feel the need to call us out.  #hypocritesriseup

Archived