Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Serialpodcast.org

Elessar78

Well I'm hooked.

Started listening Friday on the commute home, and am now through ep.5 (cell phone towers, recreating the 21 minute window and the travels around town that afternoon).  No plans on listening to anything else in the car until I finish.

So gripping and well-produced. 

Though I feel like she may be playing with my emotions.  Setting me up to think he's not guilty, but getting ready to drop a few bombs to make me reverse myself in the next few episodes.

But based on what I've heard so far, it's stunning that he was convicted on a "beyond a reasonable doubt" standard and given life in prison with no physical evidence.  And I can't help but wonder how this might have come out if he was white.  Or a woman.  (see e.g., Casey Anthony).  Or really anything other than a non-christian brown-skinned dude with a funny sounding name. 

How is this different than a book on tape? I love podcasts but that's because they are discussions.

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of this?

The episodes include recordings.  Recordings of her conversations with key players including Adnan himself (on a prison phone).  Recordings from the trial or police interviews at the time.  Recordings of her and her assistants visiting certain places and their immediate reactions to what they're seeing...so it's different from a book on tape in that sense, and that gives you some of the discussions you looking for.

I guess I'd say the appeal is the appeal of a crime drama.  Or, if you listen to the first episode, the appeal will probably become clear.

I wonder if Adnan has refused to help her with this any further, and that is why she's decided to end this story with the next episode. In episode 11 it seems pretty clear to me that Adnan feels like she's no longer trying to get to the bottom of this, and she's just creating an exciting murder mystery. 

I wonder if Adnan has refused to help her with this any further, and that is why she's decided to end this story with the next episode. In episode 11 it seems pretty clear to me that Adnan feels like she's no longer trying to get to the bottom of this, and she's just creating an exciting murder mystery. 

I dunno. I was on Wikipedia looking for background and came across a synopsis for Episode 12. Not sure if it's true or not, but I think we may get to the bottom of it tomorrow.

Anyone know what time it's usually released on Thursdays?

No, I think the original intent was 12 ... or so that's what I thought. Plus I don't think there will be any real movement in the finale ... since it's been stated his appeal hearing is in January and this is almost a live, week-of style podcast as far as developments go, so I'm sure they'll wrap it up, but not with any sense of finality.

Also, not sure what wiki write up you are referencing but there's no synopsis under Episode 12 so you may have caught a false entry.

No, I think the original intent was 12 ... or so that's what I thought. Plus I don't think there will be any real movement in the finale ... since it's been stated his appeal hearing is in January and this is almost a live, week-of style podcast as far as developments go, so I'm sure they'll wrap it up, but not with any sense of finality.

Also, not sure what wiki write up you are referencing but there's no synopsis under Episode 12 so you may have caught a false entry.

That's why I said I'm not sure if it's true or not. I was on there early this morning so if there was something there, it very well could be gone by now.

What really gets me is in Espisode 10 when it comes out that Jay's lawyer was picked out by the prosecutor. How was that not a bigger issue to the jury and even the judge?

That's why I said I'm not sure if it's true or not. I was on there early this morning so if there was something there, it very well could be gone by now.

What really gets me is in Espisode 10 when it comes out that Jay's lawyer was picked out by the prosecutor. How was that not a bigger issue to the jury and even the judge?

Yeah, something isn't right with that. How does a guy who confesses to helping a murderer bury his victim get less than a slap on the wrist? And didn't they say there is three hours of his interrogation with the two detectives that went unrecorded? It wouldn't surprise me at all if alot of what we are discussing was negotiated during that time. 

Yeah, something isn't right with that. How does a guy who confesses to helping a murderer bury his victim get less than a slap on the wrist? And didn't they say there is three hours of his interrogation with the two detectives that went unrecorded? It wouldn't surprise me at all if alot of what we are discussing was negotiated during that time. 

Very well could be right. When I heard that, I couldn't believe it. Seems strange looking back that the cops weren't questioning him more over all his inconsistencies during his testimonies. But, maybe this is why.

Very well could be right. When I heard that, I couldn't believe it. Seems strange looking back that the cops weren't questioning him more over all his inconsistencies during his testimonies. But, maybe this is why.

Yeah, it kinda goes in line with the expert investigator she spoke to who said the detectives did everything correct and by the book. Unforunately for Adnan, doing it correct and by the book is more about indicting and prosecuting the most likely suspect than actually finding the real killer. Not saying Adnan is absolutely innocent, but it seems like the detectives had their sights set on him and only him as the murderer and didn't let stuff like facts get in the way. 

In theory it would sound interesting and it probably is and Kornheiser keeps talking about how good it is but I'm busy enough trying to listen to Kornheiser and Solid Verbal and the BS Report, where would I find time for the Serial podcast? Plus it's only 12 episodes. What happens after that? Most podcasts put out a regular schedule of one or two per week. 

I said I'd never get into the Wire because I don't like police and crime drama but The Wire was good. Maybe in due time I will get into the Serial podcast. 

Playing catch up right now. On episode 6. This is riveting stuff. Can't stop listening.

But ESPN radio 

Also if you want "riveting stuff" listen to Solid Verbal and The Audible 

They are probably the two best sports podcasts right now not affiliated with Tony Kornheiser

I'm listening to the "Best defense..." ep now, but just went back and read this.

So I'm completely caught up now and here's the conclusion I've come to so far. Spoilers below

I think Adnan most likely did it. There are way too many clues that point to him. The big two for me are the call to Nisha which place Jay and Adnan together right after school. The other is the tower ping to Adnan's phone from the park around the time Jay suggested that he and Adnan were burying Hae's body. That to me is the big one, IMO it places Adnan directly at the scene. It's almost obvious that Jay knew too much about Hae's death (location where the car was left) and the fact that Adnan is placed in the location of the burial is too difficult to explain. That Jay's account is later corroborated by the tower records is not a coincidence IMO. Some small ones are things like the note (really weird) and the fact that he makes no attempt to page Hae after her disappearance. He can call her house three times at midnight the night before, but he can't show concern when she goes missing the next day?

To me, that is not a small thing.  It is a huge glaring piece of abnormal behavior, and one of the things I am having the most trouble getting past before I can believe Adnan is innocent. 

The cops call you at night, looking for this girl who you care a lot about, and who you don't assume is murdered and your inner thought, you claim, is "Wow, she's going to be in a lot of trouble."  The normal reaction would be to try to call her immediately after hanging up with the cop, to say where the hell are you and what's going on.  Or if not her, you call someone else who might know where she is.  Stoned, sober, whatever, you call someone. 

He makes no calls right away.  Not for over a half hour.  And never tries to call her even once

We know he had no compunction about calling her after midnight even when they were broken up.  He called her right away to give her the new cell #.  That is just extremely unusual for anyone, and particularly out of character for him (it would seem), and it gnaws at me.

His excuse about being around other people who were paging or calling or whatever in school holds no water for me, because it doesn't explain that night.  And because when you're really worried about someone it doesn't matter.  Compare to the girl's reaction, which is much more normal. You page them freaking constantly. And just because they didn't respond to try #20, doesn't mean they won't respond to try #21.

I think he is at the very least complicit, and knew she was dead before he got that phonecall. 

After listening to the last episode, I'm no longer certain of Adnan's innocence. Yet I still believe the jury should've acquitted the trial. There wasn't enough there in the State's case, especially since they got the time of death wrong and went as far as berating Don for not lying, to say beyond a doubt Adnan absolutely killed Hae Min. I am curious of what the special investigators will find with the DNA test results. I have absolutely no clue how 15 years later, no one has tested it until Adnan asked them to pursue it. Which, BTW, I have no confidence that this serial killer Ronald's DNA will be confirmed to be on Hae's body. He has zero connection to Jay, who we all know he was present at the time of the burial, and Hae wasn't raped (Ronald raped all the women he was proven to have killed). 

Well, Koenig does highlight that all we really know is that Jay knows where Hae's car is ... there's not necessarily proof that he knows where the body is. He only claims to have known where it was buried after it was found ... the only concrete thing he did was lead police to her car. But I see your point ...

Still ... something seems up behind the scenes. This was a shotty job by the prosecutors and detectives ... I still think Jay may have gotten caught up in something shady or drug-related and somehow Hae got involved ... but yeah otherwise I'm just as lost over it.

Well, Koenig does highlight that all we really know is that Jay knows where Hae's car is ... there's not necessarily proof that he knows where the body is. He only claims to have known where it was buried after it was found ... the only concrete thing he did was lead police to her car. But I see your point ...

Still ... something seems up behind the scenes. This was a shotty job by the prosecutors and detectives ... I still think Jay may have gotten caught up in something shady or drug-related and somehow Hae got involved ... but yeah otherwise I'm just as lost over it.

You're right, that is the only fact that is confirmed. Jay knew where the car was stashed. It doesn't prove he was actually there for anything. At the very least if he's lying about even being involved, which he was known to do, he at least knows who put the car at the rest stop. So he at least knows someone who was involved with the murder. 

I just wish there was more time. Time to get the DNA results. Time to go back to Jay and ask him about Ronald, if he had any contact with the guy who found the body, etc,. I also wish so many people involved weren't dead, like Adnan's previous defense lawyer who did a poor job in court and has been accused of being pretty unethical. 

If there are only twelve EPs what happens after

That's what's bugging me

I need my podcasts to havr more..

Yes. It is 12 episodes. There will be a second season about another case, but I imagine that won't be for another year.

This is not a sports podcast which is essentially a radio show that you download daily/weekly. This is more like a documentary mini-series. They have spent years researching and conducting interview with dozens of people. And then they told the story over the course of weeks - releasing it week by week.

Do you ever listen to This American Life?

It is essentially that podcast but it takes one story and tells it for 12 weeks.

How is this different than a book on tape? I love podcasts but that's because they are discussions.

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of this?

Like I mentioned above, I would say the best way to describe it is a documentary mini-series but on the radio. It is nothing like a book on tape and nothing like a discussion podcast. 

Archived