Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsyahoo.com: (Update) RG3 is 'wild card' for Monday

MustangSteve

My somewhat hopeful prediction:

RG3 really hasn't been the same dynamic QB since Cousins came in and played that Browns game. For whatever reason he stopped being RG3 and turned into Robert

Knowing that Kirk blew his big chance, Robert will let it all out again and just play ball, not try and be just a pocket QB or whatever he thinks others want him to be. He will go back to playing his game

For whatever reason (good reason in my opinion) he thought the Shanny's liked Kirk better then him and it had an impact on him. Now that Kirk has blown it and has been benched, he'll be much more relaxed 

rg3 played pretty good against philly and dallas to finish out the 2012 season...if thats not at RG3 level, i dont know what is. remember he ran for a TD against dallas in week 17? it was pretty electric too if i remember correctly. he was first looking to pass, but nobody was getting open, so he ran for a TD. my brother was like "RG3 is probably thinking ya know what, if nobody else is going to help me out here, i might as well just run it in myself"

rg3 played pretty good against philly and dallas to finish out the 2012 season...if thats not at RG3 level, i dont know what is. remember he ran for a TD against dallas in week 17? it was pretty electric too if i remember correctly. he was first looking to pass, but nobody was getting open, so he ran for a TD. my brother was like "RG3 is probably thinking ya know what, if nobody else is going to help me out here, i might as well just run it in myself"

You have got to be kidding. RGIII wasn't the same player to finish the 2012 season he was when it began. Go watch RGIII's run against the Vikings that year and then watch RGIII in the Dallas game.

That run was more like the 2013 Griffin. He could still run the ball off the option, but it was slower than normal and really had no cutting. He could just run straight. The two runs he had against the jags was more like the 2012 Griffin but with the ability to get down before taking a hit which just makes me miserable thinking about it and what happened moments later.

I still like Cousins compared to Colt McCoy. I don't think the skins will win either way, so at least he's amusing and will throw the ball downfield with reckless abandon. Plus his performances make this board hilarious to read.

Colts got the arm of chad Pennington, may very well have subterranean hamster blood in his ancestry, and lacks moxie. Plus his professed Christianity makes him a target for satan.

Not a fan.

I am a little surprised.  McCoy made fewer mistakes, but outside the first couple drives in the second half it seemed to get kind of similar to the first half.

I don't think McCoy is anything but a good backup but he didn't make fewer mistakes the second half he didn't make ANY mistakes. He also led a game winning drive and that's something we have not seen any Redskin QB do for quite a while - so that was different.

I'd hold RGIII out unless he totally blows people away in practice - nothing to be gained by bringing him back before he is not just physically healthy but has had some good practice to be ready to not just play but really perform. Vikings game seems more realistic and maybe even after the bye makes more sense.

Sounds about right.  It's Griffin's team if he can go, if he cannot, then let's see what we have in McCoy.

I thought McCoy was really good at Texas in 2010.  He is still young and has moxy, I wouldn't mind giving him the chance.

I think the the story on Cousins is still being written.  I could see him being one of those backups who has some good seasons later in his career, but for now I think he has earned clipboard duty.

All that said, I think Griffin should be getting as many reps as possible as long as he is healthy.

People love to compare Kirk to Grossman, but I think a better example may be Ryan Fitzpatrick. His first few years in Buff he took over after a string of busts at QB and seemed to steady the position. He was a sleeper fantasy pick and would always seem to get 250-300 yards and 2TDs, but had an interception problem. He gets a big contract in Buffalo based on potential, but is cut a few seasons into it. Now he's down in Houston with a much more moderate, don't lose the game type attitude and he's got them sitting at 3-4. 

I doubt he plays against Dallas. Gruden said sonething like Griffin will need about 2 weeks of practice before playing again, so this week and next will have him playing against the Vikings, before the bye week

This is what I don't get. Why is everybody on radio saying its either Dallas or after the bye? I had to check the schedule cause I was sure there was another game in between. He may be ruled out against Dallas, but he could easily come back for the Minnesota game. 

Um, I dunno about Griffin starting.

I just think its too early to come back, and its not as if we're in contention or anything.

Maybe it was me, but it seemed as if Gruden was 'using' the media to heat up the 'Griffin may start' talk, and thats not gonna be good for anyone' Cousins, McCoy, or Griffin. It is creeping into the mental toughness of the QBs.

If anything, leave McCoy in, or even start Cousins; why risk Griffin possibly rushing things to get back on the field; he wants to play, and if he was in a wheelchair and the possibility that he COULD start in a wheelchair, he would. He's a competitor, but they may be using Griffin's competitiveness against him, unknowingly.

Well, in all fairness, it was really Morris who was the MVP of that week 17 game against Dallas. Dude trucked their defense for 200 yds. Griffin had a TD run, but that game was all about the RO, and Morris made them pay for it; dearly.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see the old perv/owner/perv a.k.a. Jerry Jones with a scouring look on his face after watching his Cowboys lose to the Redskins on MNF, because we all know the cameras will be fixated on him all night.

FWIW, if I were in his shoes i'd prob end up doing the same thing, but i'm not so I can get away with saying it :P

If RG3 starts on MNF it's because Jay feels the heat and wants to save his own ass from being fired. There is absolutely no reason to rush RG3 back just so he can be out there on Monday night. He needs a couple weeks of team drills first to find some sort of groove, get his timing back and all that. Just because he can run doesn't mean he's ready to play effectively yet. So hopefully we hold him out until after the BYE week.

If RG3 starts on MNF it's because Jay feels the heat and wants to save his own ass from being fired. There is absolutely no reason to rush RG3 back just so he can be out there on Monday night. He needs a couple weeks of team drills first to find some sort of groove, get his timing back and all that. Just because he can run doesn't mean he's ready to play effectively yet. So hopefully we hold him out until after the BYE week.

If anyone in this organisation is contemplating firing Jay Gruden after 1 season we are in much bigger trouble than I thought - and I already think we are in deep do do.

All the noises coming out of Gruden are that Griffin will get exactly the kind of time you suggest above, he is going to have to show in practice he is ready to play not just physically healthy.

Ehh. Nah. 

Gruden feels no heat after 1 year. RG3 won't start, but would it matter if he did? He's just not a good QB anymore. 

I don't think Gruden would even leave open the possibility if RG3 wasn't more likely to start than not. Jay is just doing his best Shanahanigans impersonation.

Ehh. Nah. 

Gruden feels no heat after 1 year. RG3 won't start, but would it matter if he did? He's just not a good QB anymore. 

You're wrong, RG3 is still in the top half of the league. Gruden knows his best change to win is RG3 playing like RG3. Otherwise, the team just isn't good enough to win.

Um, I dunno about Griffin starting.

I just think its too early to come back, and its not as if we're in contention or anything.

Maybe it was me, but it seemed as if Gruden was 'using' the media to heat up the 'Griffin may start' talk, and thats not gonna be good for anyone' Cousins, McCoy, or Griffin. It is creeping into the mental toughness of the QBs.

If anything, leave McCoy in, or even start Cousins; why risk Griffin possibly rushing things to get back on the field; he wants to play, and if he was in a wheelchair and the possibility that he COULD start in a wheelchair, he would. He's a competitor, but they may be using Griffin's competitiveness against him, unknowingly.

Well, in all fairness, it was really Morris who was the MVP of that week 17 game against Dallas. Dude trucked their defense for 200 yds. Griffin had a TD run, but that game was all about the RO, and Morris made them pay for it; dearly.

First of all RGIII is sensitive (coming from a HUGE RGIII fan), and Kirk is just mentally fragile. Colt is neither, he's tough Texas good ole boy. He's been the Brown's quarterback of the future before so...umm...yeah none of this will phase him. You and other posters are totally right. Griff NEVER played a good game in a knee brace. PERIOD. That thing was a shackle.

Ehh. Nah. 

You're on the list LOL. Bat~man. That is all.

You and other posters are totally right. Griff NEVER played a good game in a knee brace. PERIOD. That thing was a shackle.

Does 18/29 for 298 2TDs and 1 INT and 11 carries for 84 yards qualify as a good game?

How about 26/40 for 320 yards 3TDs and 1 INT

Or 27/34 for 281 yards and 3TDs and 44 yards rushing

Those are all stats lines from RGII from games in 2013 in a knee brace. Period. 

My somewhat hopeful prediction:

RG3 really hasn't been the same dynamic QB since Cousins came in and played that Browns game. For whatever reason he stopped being RG3 and turned into Robert

Knowing that Kirk blew his big chance, Robert will let it all out again and just play ball, not try and be just a pocket QB or whatever he thinks others want him to be. He will go back to playing his game

Make him wait until after the bye.

I agree, I've told others this. I think RG is so worried about others perception of what he can't do, and trying to fit in to what critics think a QB should be judged by. I think he is worried about the stereotype of athletic (Black) QB's, he is trying to conform to a standard that limits the additional skills that he has, and others don't. Just so he (RG) is not be labeled as just a guy that can run, who happens to play QB. 

The fact is the QB position is changing and there is a segment of old NFL guys that want to hold on. So anything not like Brady or Manning is not deemed good enough, but those guys stand in the pocket because they have no choice. More and more college QB's are coming from spread offenses and also have the ability to beat you with their arms and their legs.

I have asked Dr Andrews send me photo evidence (ie x-rays) as well as video of him running before I decide if I'm going to clear him to play. I'll let everyone know if that info is received, then and only then will I'll decide if I'm going to give him the green light. Otherwise please support Colt as he goes back to the state that made him a college hero!!! :)

Does 18/29 for 298 2TDs and 1 INT and 11 carries for 84 yards qualify as a good game?

How about 26/40 for 320 yards 3TDs and 1 INT

Or 27/34 for 281 yards and 3TDs and 44 yards rushing

Those are all stats lines from RGII from games in 2013 in a knee brace. Period. 

Waisting your energy bro...I'm the BIGGEST RGIII fan...but for the record let me correct my statement. He never LOOKED RIGHT in a knee brace.

Waisting your energy bro...I'm the BIGGEST RGIII fan...but for the record let me correct my statement. He never LOOKED RIGHT in a knee brace.

You said he never played a good game in a knee brace - thats not the case. Totally agree though that he was clearly limited by the brace.

He did look a off almost all of last season, but I think looking right and playing efficiently are two different things.

Its something many people said after the Texans game as well. People need to realize their sixth sense for football is untuned and a terrible barometer. The eye test doesn't indicate whether someone is good or bad, or a benefit or hindrance.

Stat lines prove this, and as we've learned with Kirk, bad QB play will eventually be exposed by terrible results. RG3 hasn't had many flat out terrible games. But he has had quite a few incredible ones.

He did look a off almost all of last season, but I think looking right and playing efficiently are two different things.

Its something many people said after the Texans game as well. People need to realize their sixth sense for football is untuned and a terrible barometer. The eye test doesn't indicate whether someone is good or bad, or a benefit or hindrance.

Stat lines prove this, and as we've learned with Kirk, bad QB play will eventually be exposed by terrible results. RG3 hasn't had many flat out terrible games. But he has had quite a few incredible ones.

Right you are! That Kirk comment made me snort LMAO.

Hope this gives a boost to our running game, McCoy can run and do what RG3 does.

Settle down now...

Archived