Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TK's Sportsbar: The official '14 season Twitter thread, whatnot free, Almond Milk included, Fat Tire Sponsored

SWFLSkins

Fangio last year was mentioned for some as a potential head coaching candidate

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/31/report-vic-fangio-dan-quinn-interviewed-for-49ers-promotion-on-tuesday/

Report: Vic Fangio, Dan Quinn interviewed for 49ers on Tuesday
Posted by Josh Alper on December 31, 2014, 9:01 AM EST
Getty Images

The 49ers have started putting together a list of head coaching candidates from outside the organization, but at least one member of Jim Harbaugh’s staff is also reportedly in the mix for the job.

According to multiple reports, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio interviewed for the head coaching job on Tuesday. Fangio made the move from Stanford to the 49ers along with Harbaugh in 2011 and has overseen one of the league’s top defenses for the last four seasons. One member of that defense thinks Fangio would do well in the top job.

“I would like to see him here,” linebacker Navorro Bowman said, via CSNBayArea.com. “We’ve built so much chemistry with him. He’s a great human being and I would definitely listen to him on a head-coaching level. What you see is what you get with Vic.”

Again though, to me it doesn't matter. Our defense is going to suck again next year you can bet your life on it.

i think the common theme here that is being 100 percent missed by so many on this board is that coaching in the NFL ultimately is irrelevant. Any coach who has reached a coordinator position in pro football is a good coach. Period. Give them players to play with and you'll have a good unit. Give them david Amerson, Brandon Merriweather, and Ryan Clark, well.... You get out of it what goes into it

This isn't the 1980s anymore

Great point. We need better talent evaluators before we will truly be able to compete.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/17/vic-fangio-san-francisco-49ers-defensive-coordinator/

The year before his arrival, the defense ranked 16th in points and 13th in yards allowed. In his three years on the job, the unit has never finished worse than third in points or fifth in yards. His team has gone to three straight conference championship games. This coach has an even more expansive résumé, having been in the NFL for 26 years, 14 of them as a defensive coordinator.

So why is that 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio toils in anonymity while less-experienced coordinators such as the Seahawks’ Dan Quinn and the Jaguars’ Gus Bradley (Jaguars) have a dance card full of head coaching interviews, and even offers? So far, the only interest Fangio has drawn was from the Redskins, who ultimately hired Jay Gruden as their head coach.

“You wonder sometimes why it’s taken maybe this long,” 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said, speaking generally about all of his assistants, though he might as well have been referring to Fangio specifically.

Despite Fangio’s having almost total autonomy over the defense—Harbaugh is a former NFL quarterback—he remains off teams’ radar. Some of it probably has to do with the low-key manner in which he conducts himself. “He’s a real quiet guy,’’ said inside linebacker Patrick Willis. “He just says what needs to be said, and not too much more. He keeps it simple and puts us in great position.’’

That tactical acumen was on display in the 49ers’ 23-10 divisional win over the Panthers. Carolina had two critical drives halted at San Francisco’s 1-yard line in the second quarter. On the first play of the quarter, quarterback Cam Newton tried a sneak on 4th-and-goal and was stopped by Ahmad Brooks. Later, fullback Mike Tolbert was tackled by linebacker NaVorro Bowman for a one-yard loss, and Carolina had to settle for a field goal.

“I think he’s one of the all-time best defensive coordinators in the history of the league. I think that’s who he is. I think that’s what his legacy will be someday.’’ —Jim Harbaugh

is this thread closing?

I don't think so. Lets just keep using this thread.

When the guys with the white jackets come and tap you on the shoulder, please don't act like you didn't see it coming. This bar is closing when a MOD sees fit, make your way over to Zoony Bin..... http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/

i think the common theme here that is being 100 percent missed by so many on this board is that coaching in the NFL ultimately is irrelevant. Any coach who has reached a coordinator position in pro football is a good coach. Period. Give them players to play with and you'll have a good unit. Give them david Amerson, Brandon Merriweather, and Ryan Clark, well.... You get out of it what goes into it

This isn't the 1980s anymore

I don't think Gregg Williams ever had a ridiculous amount of talent and what about the jump wade Phillips made in Houston with largely the same unit?

Also wouldnt you expect that we have opportunities to get better talent this year?

I am depressed as anyone, but losin haslett was a big start to helping this **** show

Heading to the new thread...

If I were advising Snyder on what to do, it would be this. I would see if I could hire some old retired NFL GM's to something of a board of directors....and I'd overpay them to do this. I'd task them with hiring a GM to rebuild the Org from top to bottom. That GM would get to do a coaching search and build a new scouting dept. For that 1st year, I'd have everything voice on by this "Gang of 3" Where the majority rules. Once that year is over, I'd thank that group and have the GM roll from there.

Sounds good.

The highest likelihood however is rehiring Vonny.

And I think there's a greater chance of Megan Fox appearing naked in my bedroom tonight rather than Dan hiring somebody he doesn't know.

Archived