Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IndyStar.com: NFL Suspends Colts Owner Jim Irsay for 6 Games

PCS

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2014/09/02/colts-owner-jim-irsay-court-today-plea-hearing/14954557/

1:30 pm update -- The NFL suspended Colts owner Jim Irsay for six games and fined him $500,000 today following his guilty plea to impaired driving.

The suspension begins at 5 p.m. Wednesday and ends following the Oct. 9 game against the Houston Texans.

Irsay cannot visit the club's facilities, attend practices or games, represent the team at league meetings and events, and may not conduct interviews or engage in social media regarding team or league matters, the NFL said in a press release.

The $500,000 is the maximum under NFL rules.

*Click Link for More*

hes living a pretty good life. i mean, to him, $500K is pretty much $5. and if I was told not to show up to work and just sit in my mansion and relax for 6 weeks...I'd go for it :)

NO to him the 500k is like 5k , it hurts believe it. However he should have gotten a season off IMO. It was drugs not just alcohol. 

But if you're a player who likes to smoke weed, legal or decriminalized in many states, you can end up like Josh Gordon suspended for an entire year. Seems balanced  :wacko:

How many times has Irsay been caught with drugs?

Gordon's been caught how many times?

I think, if this is a first time offense, then this is fine.  If Irsay is caught again, then he should lose draft picks, salary cap space, and anything after that he should lose his team.

How many times has Irsay been caught with drugs?

Gordon's been caught how many times?

I think, if this is a first time offense, then this is fine.  If Irsay is caught again, then he should lose draft picks, salary cap space, and anything after that he should lose his team.

Gordon got caught with weed several times, which my point was is a legal drug in some states and decriminalized in a bunch of others, and frankly shouldn't even be tested for IMO and the opinion of any others because of it's trend towards legality and that it offers no competitive edge. 

Irsay's case is entirely different and you equating the two and suggesting Gordon's is worse is naive IMO. 

This isn't a player now, it's an owner, so there should be a higher standard and Goodell agrees in his statement but not in the actual enforcement. 

I'm touching on a larger argument that the NFL needs to revise its penalization system (it already has for domestic violence since the Ray Rice farce) because lumping in weed with the rest of the drugs is not only a near-archaic mindset, it's also continuously making the league's punishment system look like a joke because other crimes, like Irsay's, aren't penalized harsher even though most consider them to be worse.

Gordon got caught with weed several times, which my point was is a legal drug in some states and decriminalized in a bunch of others, and frankly shouldn't even be tested for IMO and the opinion of any others because of it's trend towards legality and that it offers no competitive edge. 

Irsay's case is entirely different and you equating the two and suggesting Gordon's is worse is naive IMO. 

This isn't a player now, it's an owner, so there should be a higher standard and Goodell agrees in his statement but not in the actual enforcement. 

Gordon got caught twice, rules are rules.  Irsay got caught once.  Gordon wasn't suspended the first time he got caught, Irsay was and fined.  

Irsay's first offense punishment was FAR worse than Gordon's first offense warning.  There is no injustice here. 

I don't care whether YOU or EVERYONE thinks marijuana should be legal.  It's not legal in all states (including the one Gordon was in when caught), legal in most with prescription (which Gordon didn't have), and it has little to do with being a PED and more to do with the effect on the public's perception on the league. 

I don't care whether or not marijuana is legal or illegal, the point is, right now it's against the rules for NFL players, just like a lot of things. Gordon knew better, and was warned.  Irsay knew better, and wasn't warned he was penalized on his first offense.

Next time they penalize a player with a 6 game suspension and 500k fine on their first offense, then I'll consider Irsay's punishment "not enough".

EDIT:

Actually, let me correct myself.  I believe this suspension for Gordon was his THIRD offense.  I don't think you get suspended for a full year unless you're caught 3 times.

Gordon got caught twice, rules are rules.  Irsay got caught once.  Gordon wasn't suspended the first time he got caught, Irsay was and fined.  

Irsay's first offense punishment was FAR worse than Gordon's first offense warning.  There is no injustice here. 

I don't care whether YOU or EVERYONE thinks marijuana should be legal.  It's not legal in all states (including the one Gordon was in when caught), legal in most with prescription (which Gordon didn't have), and it has little to do with being a PED and more to do with the effect on the public's perception on the league. 

I don't care whether or not marijuana is legal or illegal, the point is, right now it's against the rules for NFL players, just like a lot of things. Gordon knew better, and was warned.  Irsay knew better, and wasn't warned he was penalized on his first offense.

Next time they penalize a player with a 6 game suspension and 500k fine on their first offense, then I'll consider Irsay's punishment "not enough".

EDIT:

Actually, let me correct myself.  I believe this suspension for Gordon was his THIRD offense.  I don't think you get suspended for a full year unless you're caught 3 times.

"Rules are rules" he says, ignoring my entire post about the fault in said rules. I DO care that the NFL treats just as harsh as other drugs when the majority of the country disagrees with that perception.

Per Goodell himself owners are held to a higher standard than players, first of all. Second of all, Irsay's actions were worse than a player continually getting high. Sure it's against the rules to smoke in the NFL, but that is clearly based on a perception thing, NOT a competitive advantage thing. So since that rule is in place for the sake of perception, then other violations which are even worse perception-wise should carry stiffer penalties. When they don't, the NFL's rules and reprimands wind up looking ridiculous, as was the case with Rice and as many are criticizing with this one now. Perception determines the penalty so again, majority disagree with the perception weed is just as bad as other drugs or even at all bad. So you can rail on and on about weed still being illegal, completely ignoring my argument, but it won't change the reality of perception, upon which these things are based, and that perception by most is that the NFL's policies are inconsistent. If the NFL disagreed then they wouldn't have altered the domestic abuse rules after the backlash for Rice only getting 2 games in comparison to players smoking weed.

But yeah, let's hold a stiffer penalty for an early-20s player smoking weed a bunch than for a team owner in his mid-50s who it has been reported has a drug problem and gets arrested driving on them.

"Rules are rules" he says, ignoring my entire post about the fault in said rules. I DO care that the NFL treats just as harsh as other drugs when the majority of the country disagrees with that perception.....But yeah, let's hold a stiffer penalty for an early-20s player smoking weed a bunch than for a team owner in his mid-50s who it has been reported has a drug problem and gets arrested driving on them.

I didn't ignore your post.  I responded to all of it, but have fun reading one or two lines and then needlessly typing a paragraph where you ignore the entire response.  Go back and read it and I'll respond to this post.  Instead, I'll summarize my previous response:

I told you why it wasn't a "stiffer" penalty, why it was a decent penalty, and why it doesn't matter if marijuana is legal in TWO states, neither of which Gordon was in when he was caught (meaning he could have still gone to jail).  Also, this is Gordon's THIRD time getting caught, what happened on his FIRST time?  Now compare THAT punishment with Irsay's FIRST (this one) and see if there's an injustice.  Clue...there isn't.  If this is Irsay's THIRD TIME then he should lose his team.  I already said all of that.

Archived