Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Pierre Garcon Restaurant Spinfire at Loudoun One

Corcaigh

I hadn't heard of this before ... but spotted today near the Alamo Cinema/Draft House in Loudoun One, it looks like Pierre is putting his name on a salad and pizza restaurant just a couple of miles from Redskins Park.

O4Atz7G.jpg

I'm trying to think of ex-sports stars who hit it really big in the restaurant business.  The biggest current one I can think of is Don Shula.  His Shula's Steak House has 14 locations in 9 states and it's branched into Shula's Bar and Grill, Shula's Burger, Shula's on the Beach, etc. with 20 or more additional locations.

Ex-Baltimore Colt Gino Marchetti, long with other teammates including Alan Ameche, built a minor fast food empire with the Gino's Hamburgers chain. Locally in DC the franchises sold Kentucky Fried Chicken along with the hamburgers.  The chain had over 300 locations before they sold out to the Marriott Corp. in 1982, which turned the stores into Roy Rogers restaurants. 

Billy Sims, ex-Sooner and Detroit Lion running back, runs a chain of 15 Billy Sims Barbecue restaurants in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Mike Ditka has three Ditka Steakhouses in the Chicago area and Pittsburgh. 

At one time, there were at least three or four Joe Theismann's Restaurants in the DC area.  The one in Old Town near the King Street Metro is still going strong after 35 years..

I hope Pierre's place is a success.  But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short.  Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

Bad investment? This is a pretty good one. If they picked the right location, that is.

That's the location to pick in the Ashburn area. 

I hope Pierre's place is a success.  But for every successful athlete-turned restauranteur, there's a bunch that fell short.  Just ask Lavar Arrington, Richie Petitbone, Jay Shroeder, Curtis Jordan, etc...

I think the scale matters. If it's a pizza joint that is supplementing his NFL millions, who cares? This feels different than trying to open up "Pierre's Grill" or something. 

Good luck to Pierre!

Nice - that's some good info, Dan T.  The former Skin I can think of that seems to have done well is Marvcus Patton.  Here's an old write-up about the restaurants he has:  http://www.capcentre.net/2010/06/former-redskin-is-now-restauranteur.html

Lucky's in Springfield:  http://www.luckyssportstheatre.com/

The All American Steakhouse and Sports Theater:  http://theallamericansteakhouse.com/#

I've been to Lucky's once - it was pretty good.

Booming location - new 'town center' in Loudoun with movie theater and bars next door and other amenities on their way. Minor league ballpark/soccer stadium (eventually) on the same property. Many, many thousands of sports-mad kids and their families within a short drive. 

I have no idea what Pierre's commercial involvement is but he could start this whole thing up with a single game check even if he is paying for everything. It's not a fancy steak house or club with huge overhead and build out costs. With pizzas and salads, and the added cache of a big local name, seems like a modest risk.

Another one, sorta, is ex-Redskins kicker Mark Moseley. He joined up with Five Guys Burger and Fries fairly early on - in 2002 - as their director of franchising when they had only 5 stores in the DC area.  The chain exploded and there are now over a thousand locations nationwide.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2012/07/18/five-guys-burgers-americas-fastest-growing-restaurant-chain/2/.

Good luck to Pierre!

Nice - that's some good info, Dan T.  The former Skin I can think of that seems to have done well is Marvcus Patton.  Here's an old write-up about the restaurants he has:  http://www.capcentre.net/2010/06/former-redskin-is-now-restauranteur.html

Lucky's in Springfield:  http://www.luckyssportstheatre.com/

The All American Steakhouse and Sports Theater:  http://theallamericansteakhouse.com/#

I've been to Lucky's once - it was pretty good.

Huh.  I know Lucky's. It's pretty well established in Springfield.  I never knew Marvcus Patton owned it.  And his All American Steakhouse now has 5 locations including Ashburn, with two more opening this year.  Sounds like he's doing really well. 

Booming location - new 'town center' in Loudoun with movie theater and bars next door and other amenities on their way. Minor league ballpark/soccer stadium (eventually) on the same property. Many, many thousands of sports-mad kids and their families within a short drive. 

I have no idea what Pierre's commercial involvement is but he could start this whole thing up with a single game check even if he is paying for everything. It's not a fancy steak house or club with huge overhead and build out costs. With pizzas and salads, and the added cache of a big local name, seems like a modest risk.

Yeah was just about to say Pierre picked the best possible location to start up that restaurant. One Loudoun is going to become the Reston Town Center for Loudoun

Come on KB it's clearly a Hotpie reference!! ;)

I have no idea what that is :lol:

Italians call tomato sauce "Sunday Gravy" :).

Italians who have never been to Italy or know anyone from Italy do and it's as annoying as any other non Italian, American Italian word for food they make up, to pretend new Jersey is a part of Italy and should never be tolerated. :)

I have no idea what that is :lol:

Italians who have never been to Italy or know anyone from Italy do and it's as annoying as any other non Italian, American Italian word for food they make up, to pretend new Jersey is a part of Italy and should never be tolerated. :)

Yeah, it's more of an Italian-American thing.  Still, the advise from Hot Pie should never, ever be ignored.

Interesting.  Curious to know if he severed ties w/ Paisano's?  Seems like that would have been a more logical move (investing), rather than starting his own restaurant. 

*off topic, Jamal Mashburn has made an absolute KILLING by opening various franchise restaurants around the country.  He made enough money that he was once considered to be in an ownership group that was going to buy the Pistons. 

Italians call tomato sauce "Sunday Gravy" :).

By a friend's Brooklyn standard, the tomato sauce is marinara, the Sunday Gravy has the meats...all of 'em...very chunky, not "saucy". I describe it more like, meat with a tomato & spices thrown in... And good grief, is it awesome....I've got his mom's recipe, and it costs a lot & takes 2 days to make properly, but worth every penny and every second.

Archived