Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

No imminent execution for Christian in Sudan, despite death sentence

MEANDWARF

(CNN) -- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim faces a death sentence in Sudan for apostasy after a court ruled she converted from Islam.

Now the 27-year-old Christian woman, a wife and mother expecting another child, embarks on a long and unpredictable legal journey.

A variety of factors -- Sudan's legal system, differences between its constitution and Sharia law imposed by the sentencing judge, her pregnancy -- ensure there will no execution any time soon.

Ibrahim's lawyer argues the sentence should not stand, and an international outcry could pressure Sudan's government to intervene.

Even if the sentence stands, Sharia law as practiced in Sudan prohibits carrying out the death sentence on an expectant woman until two years after she gives birth.

Click for story.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/16/world/africa/sudan-christian-woman-whats-next/index.html?hpt=hp_t3#

Praying for the authorities in Sudan will come to their senses

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I were you. *Sigh* I think the best way out of this for her would be for the hubby to suddenly "see the light" of Islam and convert. Once she's free they could then get out of that hellhole (asylum would probably be a snap) and get on with their lives as they were before all this.

Being tolerant of Islam.

Oh for chrissakes.   The story came out yesterday, and you clowns are jumping to get in your shots in at your preferred targets.  Those damn feminists, so hypocritical. 

Its like when a black guy commits a murder and 15 seconds later conservative start yelling "Where's Al Sharpton!?!?!?!?!?"  

Pathetic.

Because I've grown up in Europe/America, I can't even comprehend how stuff like this is possible. I know it happens, but it just doesn't compute in my mind.

Sure you can. Go grab a history book that covers European history. Go back 500-800 years. Read. That's essentially where most of the Muslim world is right now.

Sure you can. Go grab a history book that covers European history. Go back 500-800 years. Read. That's essentially where most of the Muslim world is right now.

Like I said, I KNOW it happens, but even if I were to fly over there and attend the trial in person, I still wouldn't understand it... I'm guessing none of us would. It makes zero sense.

Don't pretend it's just the Muslim world though. See Bosnia 1993. And huge chucks of the southern part of this country today, that I'm sure would quickly revert to such caveman tendencies if we didn't have the structure in place that we do.

Don't pretend it's just the Muslim world though. See Bosnia 1993. And huge chucks of the southern part of this country today, that I'm sure would quickly revert to such caveman tendencies if we didn't have the structure in place that we do.

I dunno.

Do we wanna compare some ass backwards whack jobs in a free society with entire countries and governments with real power where this stuff is practiced?

I dunno.

Do we wanna compare some ass backwards whack jobs in a free society with entire countries and governments with real power where this stuff is practiced?

I see your point but bass ackward people are the same regardless of where they are. Sudan just happens to have a higher concentration of them.

#whereareamericasproudfemaleleaders?

I believe a delegation of Imons from the U.S. may have more influence. But they may be fighting a uphill battle considering Sudan seem to isolate themselves from the rest of the world.

Oh for chrissakes.   The story came out yesterday, and you clowns are jumping to get in your shots in at your preferred targets.  Those damn feminists, so hypocritical. 

Its like when a black guy commits a murder and 15 seconds later conservative start yelling "Where's Al Sharpton!?!?!?!?!?"  

Pathetic.

You're right, the story is only 3 days old.

Did not attend this to be a political thread.

• 1 month later...

She freed. Answer to a prayer. Just hope that she and her family get out of Sudan, safely.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/23/sudanese-mom-sentenced-to-die-for-christian-faith-freed/

Not so fast apparently. Sudanese National police arrested and wisked her away to parts unknown last night as she was going into the airport to leave Sudan. :(

http://news.msn.com/world/freed-sudan-christian-woman-arrested-trying-to-leave-country-1

Not so fast apparently. Sudanese National police arrested and wisked her away to parts unknown last night as she was going into the airport to leave Sudan. :(

http://news.msn.com/world/freed-sudan-christian-woman-arrested-trying-to-leave-country-1

Yeah, I just read that on Facebook. I was afraid that would happen. Security concerns?!?!?! Really!

Continue Praying.

• 1 month later...

Here to her being safe. Woo-Hoo

NEWS | Meriam Ibrahim and Family En Route to America

Meriam Yahia Ibrahim, husband Daniel Wani, and their two children, Martin and Maya, have boarded a plane for the United States. Flying from Rome to Philadelphia, en route to Manchester, New Hampshire, the Ibrahims are expected to be received by a community that—for months—has eagerly awaited their arrival. Full Story: http://ow.ly/zNAov

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/02/us-sudan-christian-convert-usa-idUSKBN0G202Q20140802?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in U.S.

A Sudanese woman who was sentenced to death for converting from Islam to Christianity, then detained after her conviction was quashed, arrived in the United States on Thursday.

Mariam Yahya Ibrahim arrived in Manchester, New Hampshire, where she has relatives and where she was greeted by a crowd of people from the local Sudanese immigrant community who sang and handed her bunches of flowers.

"I can't describe the feeling," said her husband, Daniel Wani, who had traveled with Ibrahim and their two children from Rome, where the couple had been recovering after Ibrahim's release by the Sudanese government.

"We are so tired," Wani told reporters at Manchester airport. "The ordeal is over."

Ibrahim smiled and waved to the crowd of about three dozen supporters, but she did not speak publicly.

Since leaving Sudan after her sentence and detention triggered international outrage, Ibrahim had been in Rome, where she met with Pope Francis along with her husband and two children.

She first touched down in the United States at Philadelphia International Airport, where she briefly met with that city's mayor, Michael Nutter.

Archived