Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Metrics wise, some sites have Iggy ranking higher than Bob Cousy and Tony Parker. 1 is a current HOFer and the other one is likely down the road.

I don't see it for Iggy or Melo..but then again they let a lot of above average guys in the NBA HOF.

Edited by The Evil Genius

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In regards to Melo, are we really going to let him in just because of his points? I guess.. I just don't think he really cares about winning a championship, what does he really bring to the table besides scoring, and that's when he's not cold?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_scoring_leaders

you have to score points to win the game.

Also he has 3 Olympic Gold medals. Its expected for Team USA to win now, but it was a mess when he joined the program.

Also, he probably had the best freshman college bball season of all time and is one of the most famous NBA players ever.

He is a HOFer, that is not a question.

I forgot it included college and international. In that case Melo gets in. I wouldn’t put him in based on his NBA resume. 

But I have really strict views on HOFs in general. Should be max for each sport. Once you hit the max, you take someone out if you want to put someone in. That’s how you ensure it’s only the best of the best, the true legends of that league. Otherwise you get average players that play for 13 years and get in. 

Basketball HOF shouldn’t have more than 75 people in it. Maybe even just 50 

That should help Iggy's HoF case too.  He won a gold medal at the Olympics in 2012 and at the World Championships in 2010.

I've been feeling retrospective about this Warriors team, and it occurred to me that Iguodala has had one of those Michael Finley-esque really good unsung careers.  Only Finley was never a Finals MVP.  I would say Dennis Johnson is a better comparison, except that Johnson was better appreciated in his time because he made All Star games.

He's going to retire with over 100 win shares.  That's pretty remarkable for someone who only made one All Star team and who has usually been thought of as a role player.  It speaks to the fact that just about every team he plays for experiences a significant jump in wins.  Even the one year he was in Denver they set their franchise record for wins in a season.  At the time he hit free agency, it seemed really unfortunate for the Warriors to strike out on Howard and have to settle for giving that big contract to Iguodala.  In hindsight it was a stroke of luck.  And Kerr moving him to the bench was a stroke of brilliance.  During this run of monster seasons, the Warriors have had a sixth man who is basically as good as Otto Porter, except for half the price.

I think when he gets old and can't play well anymore, that'll be the first real chink in Golden State's armor.  Signing him was lucky and I don't think you can expect to be able to replace him.

57 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Also he has 3 Olympic Gold medals. Its expected for Team USA to win now, but it was a mess when he joined the program.

Also, he probably had the best freshman college bball season of all time and is one of the most famous NBA players ever.

I'll get over it, you have a point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I forgot it included college and international. In that case Melo gets in. I wouldn’t put him in based on his NBA resume. 

But I have really strict views on HOFs in general. Should be max for each sport. Once you hit the max, you take someone out if you want to put someone in. That’s how you ensure it’s only the best of the best, the true legends of that league. Otherwise you get average players that play for 13 years and get in. 

Basketball HOF shouldn’t have more than 75 people in it. Maybe even just 50 

How many eligible HOF players with over 25,000 points are not in th HOF?

You have to be objective about this.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

In regards to Melo, are we really going to let him in just because of his points? I guess.. I just don't think he really cares about winning a championship, what does he really bring to the table besides scoring, and that's when he's not cold?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_career_scoring_leaders

The HoF is full of guys like that.  Melo is no less a HoFer than them and they're all worthy.  Dominique Wilkins, Tracy McGrady, Alex English, etc.  Elite scorers in the history of the game.  

And Melo's contributions to college basketball and USA basketball are legitimate.

Up until recently, he was never not scoring.  Dont let his recent decline detract from Melo in his prime.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The HoF is full of guys like that.  Melo is no less a HoFer than them and they're all worthy.  Dominique Wilkins, Tracy McGrady, Alex English, etc.  Elite scorers in the history of the game.  

And Melo's contributions to college basketball and USA basketball are legitimate.

I see his body language in most every game I've seen the Wizards play against him, its so "I'm getting paid anyway".  If he gets in, then that means too many people are getting in, imo.  Not my call, just my opinion.

@BenningRoadSkin  also has a point, everyone with 25K is either in the HOF or not eligible yet.  Is what it is.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And he was the best player on a national team that rocked Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Paul.  Best player on an NCAA title team.

Either folks are smoking too much....or not enough.  I dont see any grounds whatsoever that Melo should not be in the HoF.  

And I dont even like Melo.  lol

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I see his body language in most every game I've seen the Wizards play against him, its so "I'm getting paid anyway".  If he gets in, then that means too many people are getting in, imo.  Not my call, just my opinion.

@BenningRoadSkin  also has a point, everyone with 25K is either in the HOF or not eligible yet.  Is what it is.

Body language doesnt seem like a relevant criteria for the HoF.  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do like Melo, but it's cool to hate him now.

I don't think people remember how freaking good he was in his prime. He's probably one of the 20 best pure scorers ever. He had everything - strength, finesse, range, size. The shorter three point line in international play basically gave him Kevin Durant's game.

He went to the Knicks and got fat and lazy like pretty much every superstar who ends up on the Knicks in the later part of his career. The Knicks are just poison.

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I would not put Iguadola in.  The HoF shouldn't be for role players.  When he was a starter, he was good, not great.

Yea, I don't even get the argument here. It's like putting Byron Scott or AC Green in.

Oh, this was McQueen's thing. Should have figured that out. He's hosting the worst sports talk radio show ever on this thread.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

He went to the Knicks and got fat and lazy like pretty much every superstar who ends up on the Knicks in the later part of his career. The Knicks are just poison.

This.  That killed my opinion on him, glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.  He was still a great scorer, but now we're talking about putting someone in the HOF who we can all tell didn't care too much if at all about winning championships once he got to New York?  Big picture, sure he gets in, but that's my lasting memory of him right now, right or wrong.

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Dominique Wilkins, Tracy McGrady, Alex English,

None of these guys are HOF players to me. 

Theyre flashy, they’re highlight reels, they’re crazy scorers...but the HOF should be sacred ground. They don’t deserve that. 

I recognize that’s not what the HOF currently is, but it should be because it’s cheapened when people like Melo and Mcgrady get in 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I would not put Iguadola in.  The HoF shouldn't be for role players.  When he was a starter, he was good, not great.

Hondo was a role player.  So were Parish and McHale.  So was Dennis Rodman. 

Being a key cog in one of the greatest basketball machines ever created doesn't mean you're not a great player.  It means you were one of the most successful ever.

A 100 win share career means Andre Iguodala has been a big contributor to a whooooole lot of winning in his career.

My point in making the Melo comparison with Iggy is that their career resumes are actually pretty similar in all but one respect--scoring and All Star game appearances.  And in some ways, Iggy's is better.  Yet Melo is an obvious lock for the hall and Iggy might not get in.  Scoring is overvalued and defense and passing are undervalued.