Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I still can't believe how bad the NBA is at marketing their draft.  Last night there was LITERALLY a lottery to decide which two ****ty teams were going to get to be good for the next ten years, and I had no idea it happened until it was over and didn't watch a minute of it.

I know just about everything there is to know about the lives of the top fourteen or so players from this year's NFL draft.  I watched countless interviews, profiles, previews, etc. about them in the run up to the event.  I feel a tremendous sense of stakes for their draft, to the point where I'm sitting there waiting in excitement when our pick comes up in the sixth round.  And at the end of the weekend, I and every other NFL fan am sitting their rosterbating over our draft haul.

And you know what I was doing as the NFL broadcast its absurd, 12+ hour event?  Watching it.  Talking and writing about it.  And not really watching the Wizards playoff basketball game that was on in the background.

I keep wanting the NBA to supplant the NFL as America's favorite pro sport product, but they just aren't nearly as good at anything as the NFL.  Makes no sense at all.  Everyone in America has played basketball and football is arcane and inaccessible as ****ing dressage.

it isnt unless there is/are a franchise altering players.

You may have it this year, but what happens on the court means more to me. Waaaay more. 

Even having the lottery on TV is lame, imo.

I will say this, the NFL draft is a disgusting spectacle that we really shouldn't watch and the NBA may be a bit too low profile with theres.

There is a balance, and neither are striking it.

10 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I will say this, the NFL draft is a disgusting spectacle that we really shouldn't watch and the NBA may be a bit too low profile with theres.

There is a balance, and neither are striking it.

Why on Earth would the NFL change anything about their draft?  Twice as many people watched it as watched the NBA playoff games that went up against it.  And almost as many people watched the dumbass Draft red carpet and kick off broadcasts as watched the NHL playoffs during round one.

They are crushing their competition.  If anything, they should be scheming up ways to expand coverage and increase the level of production of the event.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Why on Earth would the NFL change anything about their draft?  Twice as many people watched it as watched the NBA playoff games that went up against it.  And almost as many people watched the dumbass Draft red carpet and kick off broadcasts as watched the NHL playoffs during round one.

They are crushing their competition.  If anything, they should be scheming up ways to expand coverage and increase the level of production of the event.

I never said the NFL should change the draft, I said its a disgusting spectacle. Its obviously successful and they don't care, but I do not watch it and havent for a few years.

Its stupid. And the draft itself is probably illegal.

17 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn... You wanna throw in "If it wasn't for those meddling kids!" too?

Apologist asses, all of y'all. So disappointing.

I am not apologizing for anything.

My only point was to point out how terrible of a player Harrison Barnes is and how he is the one who cost them that series and yet somehow avoided that to win an Olympic Gold Medal and max contract that summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How is that possible? KD killed the NBA a few years ago. 

Or at least that's what people here have been ****ing about for 1135 pages.

It was the opening game of what most people view to be the real Finals.  If Houston loses game two, then the ratings for the series will plummet.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How is that possible? KD killed the NBA a few years ago. 

its funny how that usually works out, right. lol

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It was the opening game of what most people view to be the real Finals.  If Houston loses game two, then the ratings for the series will plummet.

oh, okay.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

How is that possible? KD killed the NBA Universe a few years ago. 

He did kill it. This is all desperate, false hope. If GS wins again tonight I am heading for a lifeboat

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The NBA Draft doesn't compare to the NFL Draft because most years it sucks and even when it's good, it's only the very top that really matters. Plus its only two rounds, you're just not really impacting your roster.

The draft is, for 95% of the teams each year, the most consequential opportunity for player acquisition.  It has a major impact on rosters.  NBA rosters are only 15, that's why their draft is smaller than the other sports.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

You will bathe in it, and you will love it.

I'll love it as soon as I know what I'm bathing in :unsure:

Hope it ain't a jug of Harden's beard sweat or something... I know how you eccentric cats get down.

The draft is, for 95% of the teams each year, the most consequential opportunity for player acquisition.  It has a major impact on rosters.  NBA rosters are only 15, that's why their draft is smaller than the other sports.

I think you need to take him under your hot take wings. He's about to fail the semester.

• Like 1

Compare the roster impact to the NFL:

NFL rosters = 53 plus 8 PS = 61.  A good, standard class will cycle in 5 to 6 new players in the following season, or about 10% of the roster.  In the NBA 15 + 2 G-Leaguers = 17 and a good, average class will add two players or 12% of the roster.

The reason the NBA draft sucks is because the NBA has done an awful job presenting and marketing it, not because it isn't massively consequential.  The top kids in these draft classes have far bigger potential star power than the top kids in the NFL draft.

• Like 1

How many on average, first round players per year become even all-star players drafted in either league ? 

The potential star power has to lean towards NFL players, mainly because it is a more popular sport, but also because in the NFL typically if you are drafted in the first round you are an immediate starter. 

Both drafts are boring and the NFL draft is entirely too long. I haven't watched more than the first round of either in about 15 years or so. 

• Like 1

NFL rosters = 53 plus 8 PS = 61.  A good, standard class will cycle in 5 to 6 new players in the following season, or about 10% of the roster.  In the NBA 15 + 2 G-Leaguers = 17 and a good, average class will add two players or 12% of the roster.

The reason the NBA draft sucks is because the NBA has done an awful job presenting and marketing it, not because it isn't massively consequential.  The top kids in these draft classes have far bigger potential star power than the top kids in the NFL draft.

Man, forget them Steve... Tell me which players to look out for the Wizards. Don't watch college basketball at all so I have no idea.

Saw a mock from SB Nation saying we're taking a center from Texas A&M.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Image result for brainiac

Steve - "I do not understand.  Why is everyone so GD stupid?  I cannot make this any simpler for you."

• Haha 1

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Both drafts are boring and the NFL draft is entirely too long. I haven't watched more than the first round of either in about 15 years or so. 

I only watch if the Redskins are picking. Couldn't give a hell about any of the other 31 teams... Especially after the first.

• Like 2

Just now, CrypticVillain said:

I only watch if the Redskins are picking. Couldn't give a hell about any of the other 31 teams... Especially after the first.

The " Hey here is so and so from so and so on behalf of so and so who is gonna say some so and so" stuff has killed it for me. Just don't have the patience for that. And now that peoe are more concerned with debating marketing endless products instead of actually discussing players, I had enough. Just started following Twitter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1