Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Ainge has Kyrie, so im doubtful of this.

My statement was based on the idea that Ainge was the GM of the Wizards.  IE, Ainge is extremely good at his job and trading early as opposed to trading late is a big part of that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I am saying this team is going to have to make a choice about its direction.

Is Wall part of that at nearly 50 million a year at age 30-31? I am not sure.

Neither am I, but we need to cross that bridge when we get there.

The cap will go up by then , so $50 million tomorrow is not $50 million today.  If he's 27 and we're asking him to be more consistent at some point between now and he's 30-31, I can live with that.  He's not going to get faster, but that's only a part of his game.  It won't effect his passing and were talking about 3-4 years to improve his fg%.  That seems realistic, but yes I am an optimist.

I dont want to mess with our starting backcourt unless we have to and though everyone is going to have their opinion in this one, mine is were aren't at that point yet. That doesntt mean that point is impossible, just not here yet.

Just out of curiosity, how many 30+ point / 10+ assist PG season's have there ever been in the NBA?  I get that he needs to improve his shooting percentage, but every time I see this come up, I'm not sure I understand what people are actually asking for out of Wall.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I love Wall, but he has got to be a more reliable scorer for us. The playmaking point guard isnt in vogue anymore where everyone has to produce points. Look at Chris Paul.

CP3 is 33 now, and playing second fiddle to a very ball dominant 2.  And just last year he played at an MVP level when healthy and in control of the offense, and did so for the previous five seasons as well.  He's sacrificing for Harden.  But he's still really really good and impacting the game in a lot of other ways aside from scoring and assisting volume and the Rockets are the second best team in the league with him on the floor.

Wall has never been reliant on above the rim athleticism, and even if he lost a step, it'd make him merely one of the fastest players in the league rather than the fastest.  I'm not worried about Wall, nor am I worried about the lack of value of having a great passing PG.  He makes guys who can't get their own shot off effectively like Sato and Oubre and Gortat and Otto productive offensive finishers.

And Wall's scoring is pretty good.  He's somewhere between 20 and 23 PPG and he does hit crunch time shots all the time.  The only issue I have with his offense are the turnovers.  And the only major issue I have with his game is his lack of consistent effort on defense.  Other than that, he's an ideal PG to build around when healthy.  And this season was the first time he missed significant time in five years, and it was due to a knee to knee collision, not a chronic issue.

• Thanks 1

Wall is 27, not 33. Lets not bury him just yet. He's been INCREDIBLE in the playoffs too.

I'd rather keep trying to build around him. We trade Wall, we're going to suck for the next 5+ years. It'll be like the late 90s/early 00s again after we dealt Webber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man... I was thinking about this yesterday after that post I made about how awful the roster is...

We gotta trade Beal man. It sucks, but if Ernie wants to do anything worthwhile with this **** of a roster he created, he has to get rid of his second best player and pray he hits on this draft pick immediately.

Dumb ass. Smh...

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wall is 27, not 33. Lets not bury him just yet. He's been INCREDIBLE in the playoffs too.

I'd rather keep trying to build around him. We trade Wall, we're going to suck for the next 5+ years. It'll be like the late 90s/early 00s again after we dealt Webber.

Wall is great, there's no question about it... but he's not the question mark in all this.  None of this has anything to do with Wall being good.  The question is can our stupid GM fix the horrible roster situation he created quickly enough for Wall to matter.  If the Wizards have a path to win in the next three or four seasons it makes sense to keep Wall.  If not, it would make sense to trade him to the Suns for the number one overall pick.  

1 hour ago, Destino said:

If not, it would make sense to trade him to the Suns for the number one overall pick.  

You keep raising your hand when people ask if Ernie should be put in a wood chipper headfirst Fargo style, yet you are fine with him trading Wall and trusting him with the picks he gets from it?  Make up your mind, dawg, lolz

Image result for press button meme

5 hours ago, CrypticVillain said:

Man... I was thinking about this yesterday after that post I made about how awful the roster is...

We gotta trade Beal man. It sucks, but if Ernie wants to do anything worthwhile with this **** of a roster he created, he has to get rid of his second best player and pray he hits on this draft pick immediately.

Dumb ass. Smh...

Again, why do ya'll trust Ernie with replacing any bit of our core with something better?

Keep Wall and Beal, that's the only thing we've for sure gotten right and primary reason we win playoff series anyway (them going Supernova).

Edited by Renegade7

You think we trust Ernie? ?????

No. Hell no. **** no. ??

No... We are just grasping for any sign that something might finally click with the bum. I never felt this way about any other sports person, but I genuinely starting to dislike this dude personally. Lol

I said trade Beal becasue there's no way we can trade Porter, Wall is untouchable, and our team salary is shot right now.

Beal can get us back something we need and potentially, someone else can do the numbers, clear cap space.

This roster can't improve right now the way it's constructed. After Beal, our best next asset is an expiring Gortat contract. We can't do anything with that.

12 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

@Renegade7 You couldn't tell how pissed I was in that post? ??

I can : )

I do incident response, so i have to get over my initial reaction to anything quick as I can.  I'd never trust Ernie to replace either Wall or Beal with someone as good or better, to me, its a non-starter, no matter how desperate we are.

Where I'm at?  Draft a center and see what happens, we don't have the cap space for much else anyway.  Every idea I see thrown out is contingent on us doing other smart stuff, like if Ernie could just X,Y,Z, dude, Ernie gets lost after the first couple letters of the alphabet. "A, B... D... 5".  

As a fan, I'm only going to show up with a sign to fire Ernie if we're losing.  He's Vinny if NFL allowed more teams to make the playoffs every year, 1 step forward, 3 steps back right into a bear trap.

Edit: best case scenario is Ted has a taste of conference championship and eventually gets tired of Ernie not getting there, same way he fired the last Caps GM.  Hopefully that happens while Wall and Beal window is still open.

Edited by Renegade7

I've been thinking a lot about the value of passing because of a segment on Golic and Wingo where Amin Elhassan talked about it a little bit.  How good passing is one of the things that doesn't really get scooped up in the advanced comprehensive metrics.  And it's opened me up a little more to the idea of trading for DeMarcus Cousins.  However, not for the price of Otto Porter or Bradley Beal.  I'd want to build the deal around one of our bigs and Kelly Oubre.

I'm worried about Kelly's ceiling because of how bad his court vision is.  I love his aggressiveness and I love his defensive toughness and IQ on that end of the court.  But I just don't know about his offensive awareness and I worry that, unlike three point jump shooting, it's not something you can fix.  I'm more worried about giving him a big contract than I was for Beal and Otto.

Cousins had a nightmarish amount of turnovers this season, but I believe it's a symptom of playing way too large a role as a playmaker on the perimeter for teams with weak guard play.  I think he's actually a really instinctive and skilled passer who could cut his turnovers way down if he played a more traditional role as a center who spent most of his time on the elbow and low block.

Trading Oubre as part of a package for Cousins seems like a way to take care of two problems at once.

Remember when the Wizards had Trevor Ariza? And they traded him? I went back and looked at that trade, seemed like a salary dump. We went and signed Paul Pierce instead. Eh...

I wish I knew more about the salary cap and exemptions and whatnot. Is there a limit per year? What is it? I'm completely clueless, this goes for all sports.

20 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I wish I knew more about the salary cap and exemptions and whatnot. Is there a limit per year? What is it? I'm completely clueless, this goes for all sports.

NBA to me is far more complicated then the NFL's salary cap.  It's hard to even know where to start, so I typically try to pay close attention to posts by people like Steve and PeterMP as in their discussions they use examples to help give these rules context.  If you can get through this without your head exploding, you'll be ahead of most on this topic (which yes, is complicated):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_salary_cap

Nice comeback...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mystics about to break the championship drought "lolol"

Ya, I got my DVR grabbing every live game like I did with the Wizards.  Its familiar, but omg, they all travel like mf'r.  They grit though, Lynx clown pounded then in the playoffs last year and well on there way to doing it again the other day, then we punched back and won the game.  I like seeing that no matter the sport, especially a local one.

Should we make a "DC Non-Big Four Thread"?  I'm not going to "follow" the Valor, per sa, but I completely forgot that they are already playing.