Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something cool thread

Bang

3 hours ago, USS Redskins said:

I think I jinxed the caps and bullets, too... sorry all.

I doubt it.  If anything, I jinxed the Caps by placing a bet on them to win the Stanley Cup while I was on a business trip in Las Vegas before they started the Pens series (not that I believe any single person could actually have an effect such as that).

Hope you get everything straightened out.  Best wishes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

There are some interesting tannerite videos out there where people blow up cars, and one guy uses 164 lbs to blow up a barn with one shot.

And after looking around I see they also make low velocity tannerite that will explode after being hit with a .22, so now I'm considering buying some exploding targets to shoot at on the 4th of July.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, China said:

There are some interesting tannerite videos out there where people blow up cars, and one guy uses 164 lbs to blow up a barn with one shot.

And after looking around I see they also make low velocity tannerite that will explode after being hit with a .22, so now I'm considering buying some exploding targets to shoot at on the 4th of July.

Thanks!

when the Falls Church PD calls... i will absolutely deny ever having heard of you 

• 3 weeks later...

Ah the good old day when we did things just to see what happens

Since we're coming up on the Fourth of July, and towns everywhere are preparing their better-than-ever fireworks spectaculars, we would like to offer this humbling bit of history. Back in the summer of 1962, the U.S. blew up a hydrogen bomb in outer space, some 250 miles above the Pacific Ocean. It was a weapons test, but one that created a man-made light show that has never been equaled — and hopefully never will. Here it is:

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2010/07/01/128170775/a-very-scary-light-show-exploding-h-bombs-in-space

Code Name: Starfish Prime

The Americans launched their first atomic nuclear tests above the Earth's atmosphere in 1958. Atom bombs had little effect on the magnetosphere, but the hydrogen bomb of July 9, 1962, did. Code-named "Starfish Prime" by the military, it literally created an artificial extension of the Van Allen belts that could be seen across the Pacific Ocean, from Hawaii to New Zealand.

In Honolulu, the explosions were front page news. "N-Blast Tonight May Be Dazzling: Good View Likely," said the Honolulu Advertiser. Hotels held what they called "Rainbow Bomb Parties" on rooftops and verandas. When the bomb burst, people told of blackouts and strange electrical malfunctions, like garage doors opening and closing on their own. But the big show was in the sky.

To hear eyewitness accounts of what it looked like, listen to our broadcast on All Things Considered by clicking the Listen button on the top of this page.

• Like 1

Bananas:  Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Hundreds of Thousands of Children's Lives

Scientists in Australia have created golden-orange-fleshed bananas rich in pro-vitamin A that could save the lives of hundreds of thousands of children who die from a deficiency of this vitamin every year.

The “biofortified” bananas were developed by taking genes from a species of banana from Papua New Guinea, which is high in provitamin A but only produces small bunches, and combined it with that of a Cavendish banana, the high-yielding species most people are familiar with. Provitamin A is converted by the body into vitamin A. 

Researchers from Queensland University of Technology have been developing the bananas over the last 10 years thanks to $7.6 million funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

bananas.png

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 4

floaty-slow.gif

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2017/07/floaty-bird-when-a-cameras-frame-rate-matches-a-birds-flapping-wings/

Floaty Bird: When a Camera’s Frame Rate Matches a Bird’s Flapping Wings

When reviewing the security footage from outside his house in Austin, Texas, Al Brooks spotted an unusual sight: a bird seems to hover past the camera with its wings completely stationary. Of course it wasn’t really hovering (and no, it’s not suspended by strings) but rather the frame rate of the camera matched the flaps of the bird’s wings perfectly ....   (more at link)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...