Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Mike Shanahan: No one in NFL history has played at RG3′s level

brandymac27

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/mike-shanahan-no-one-in-nfl-history-has-played-at-rg3s-level/related/

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was the head coach of a Broncos team that had a Hall of Fame quarterback in John Elway, and he was the offensive coordinator of a 49ers team that had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks in Joe Montana and Steve Young. But Shanahan says he has never seen anything like the quarterback he’s coaching right now.

Shanahan told reporters on Thursday that Griffin’s array of talents is unprecedented in NFL history.

“I don’t think anybody in the history of the league has played at his level,” Shanahan said. “At least over the last 40 years, when I take a look at the numbers and what he has done, I don’t think anybody has played at his level. As we’ve talked about before, he’s got a unique skill set — his ability to throw, drop back, play action, put a threat on a defense with his running ability — and he will just get better and better. He’s just scratching the surface. And the reason I say that is because he works at it.”

It may be premature to talk about Griffin in such lofty terms, but Griffin’s rookie season really has been unprecedented: He has a chance to break three NFL rookie passing records (highest passer rating, highest completion percentage and lowest interception percentage), and he also has 752 yards and six touchdowns on the ground. He’s playing the quarterback position like no one has ever played it.

I love it!!!! :D :cloud9: :point2sky

I heard the press conference but I figured he meant no rookie QB..but maybe he did mean it literally but that's not the impression I got.

I got the opposite impression

“I don’t think anybody in the history of the league has played at his level,” Shanahan said. “At least over the last 40 years, when I take a look at the numbers and what he has done, I don’t think anybody has played at his level.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 07:20 PM ----------

A bunch of ppl were going CRAZY on twitter because he said that...specifically this Freeman guy from CBS. He was saying that there numerous QBs way better including Luck. I tweeted his hating ass but he didn't respond

I noticed haters, especially on twitter, rarely respond LOL.

I think he is right. RG3 is putting unprecedented pressure on the defense. THe closest comparison is Steve Young with sprinter's speed (not that Steve Young was slow to start with). Bob Griff's accuracy is insane.

My dad says the SAME thing about Griffin and Young. He thinks people who compare him to Vick, Newton, etc are silly. He said he reminds him of Young, only better.

Griffin is the TOTAL package.

Mobility.

Gun of an Arm.

Accuracy to all fields (short, medium, deep -- his most underrated talent, imho).

Speed.

Elusiveness.

Smart Decision Maker.

Having an offensive genius to guide you helps.

This is like watching Dale Earnhardt drive a Corvette through a church parking lot.

I got the opposite impression
The reason I assume
“I don’t think anybody in the history of the league has played at his level,” Shanahan said. “At least over the last 40 years, when I take a look at the numbers and what he has done, I don’t think anybody has played at his level.
he's refering to a QB's rookie season is because there have quite obviously been players and QBs that have played at a higher level then Griff.

I think it's little things, like in the run breakdown thread, he switches hands before handing off, to fake that, which pulled their safety off. That's intangible.

Being a humble hard worker, is key. We are so lucky to have him.

---------- Post added December-28th-2012 at 09:46 PM ----------

'I think it moved!!!'
:ols: from 6 to midnight.

A bunch of ppl were going CRAZY on twitter because he said that...specifically this Freeman guy from CBS. He was saying that there numerous QBs way better including Luck. I tweeted his hating ass but he didn't respond

I tweeted him and he blocked me.

I think he was talking about rookie quarterbacks as well, but people flipped when Mike Shanahan said this. I feel like RG3 is going to get some sort of weird, Tebow level of hatred from other fans...and I will bathe in their tears.

What other rookie quarterback has done what Robert has done?

3,100 Passing Yards

20 TDs

5 Ints

66.4 Completion Percentage

104.1 Quarterback Rating

752 Rushing Yards

6 Rushing TDs

7 Time NFL Offensive Rookie of the Week

2 Time NFC Offensive Player of the Week

2 Time NFC Offensive Rookie of the Month

First Rookie Pro Bowl Nomination since Dan Marino

59th Perfect Game in NFL History (versus the Eagles, even though technically it didn't count.)

The list of his accomplishment goes on and on and on. He's having, pretty much, the best rookie season of any NFL player ever. He still has a little (very little) ways to go before he's doing it like Aaron Rodgers, but to deny that he's doing things that have been done by a rookie before is either not knowing any better or just being plain ol' ignorant. That's what Mike was getting at.

The most frustrating thing is the repeated insistence that he's "not being asked to do too much but he's good at what he has to do". No, he's good period. Better than good, damn it. He's playing the game at an extremely high level.

My dad says the SAME thing about Griffin and Young. He thinks people who compare him to Vick, Newton, etc are silly. He said he reminds him of Young, only better.

a idiot at work compared him to Vick and he was like RG3 all he does is run. but then his next statement was that he doesn't run like Vick but he has alot of throwing TDs. hes a ravens fan

Things like this make me giddy with excitement about what can be very very soon...
Just knowing that it gets better in the years to come is a bit exciting, and the Shanahans will continue to add players that will fit this scheme of offense. The other important fact to consider is this- you know next season they will address the defense to completely compliment this offense. Increase pass rushers, add another corner back (or two), add another safety...before you know it, we'll have another top ten (or top five) defense. A top ten or top five defense, with this offense, for years to come...wow...whoa!

HTTR, baby!

This offense has an average at best OL.

Its missing its #1 TE.

The #1 WR has played roughly 1/4 of the season.

Robert as a rookie is the driving force behind an offense that is 4th in yards and 5th in scoring in the NFL.

Last year I thought Cam Newton was the best rookie QB I have ever seen.

Griffin is having a better year.

I thought Griffin was the best QB prospect in the draft, it turns out he's even better.

Griffin is already one of the better QBs in the league.

Archived