Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3's availability will be decided by Redskins doctor UPDATE: RGIII CLEARED TO START VS EAGLES!!!

brandymac27

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000111418/article/rg3s-availability-will-be-decided-by-redskins-doctor

A decision on Robert Griffin III's playing status against the Cleveland Browns in Week 15 is out of the hands of the Washington Redskins quarterback or his coaches.

NFL.com's Albert Breer cited a team source Saturday in reporting that Griffin's status will come down to the Redskins doctor's assessment.

According to Breer, Washington is willing to start Griffin at less than 100 percent in Cleveland, and it's a near certainty he would be less than 100 percent healthy if he played. What the coaches aren't going to do, per the source, is play him if there's risk of further injury to his lateral collateral ligament.

Griffin is questionable to play Sunday against the Browns as he recovers from a sprained LCL in his right knee. He practiced this week, but was limited to individual drills. Rookie backup Kirk Cousins took all first-team reps.

Redskins coaches are confident they can retrofit the offense to fit Cousins' skill-set, according to Breer, reverting to the type of offense that offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan ran with the Houston Texans and in his first two years in Washington.

Also posted in BRBN

Glad they're leaving it up to the doctors. Too many bad things are likely to happen if it's left up to Griff or the coaches. Now the media can't second guess the decision. I believe that Dr James Andrews was the consultant on the sideline last Sunday....wonder if he'll make the call.

Glad they're leaving it up to the doctors. Too many bad things are likely to happen if it's left up to Griff or the coaches. Now the media can't second guess the decision. I believe that Dr James Andrews was the consultant on the sideline last Sunday....wonder if he'll make the call.
I read that Andrews is on the sidelines at most of our games. Is he a Redskins fan? Supposedly he was the one that ok'd Griffin going back in the game last week.

One thought I have on Griffin's playing status is this: if he were to sit, it might actually help in the long run. He obviously didn't learn much from the Atlanta game. Him having to sit a game (or games) might finally get him to realize that he has to do a better job of sliding earlier, or running out of bounds when the opportunity is there. This is really the only knock I have on the guy.

I read that Andrews is on the sidelines at most of our games. Is he a Redskins fan? Supposedly he was the one that ok'd Griffin going back in the game last week.

One thought I have on Griffin's playing status is this: if he were to sit, it might actually help in the long run. He obviously didn't learn much from the Atlanta game. Him having to sit a game (or games) might finally get him to realize that he has to do a better job of sliding earlier, or running out of bounds when the opportunity is there. This is really the only knock I have on the guy.

I think it has to do with Dan giving him some good paychecks

RG3 will start no doubt about it.

There certainly is doubt. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd bet he will play - but there is certainly doubt. I have no idea of the percentages but if there is any significant risk of further injury and longer term damage you sit him.

I think it has to do with Dan giving him some good paychecks
Do you realize this man performs pretty much all the surgeries for the top guys in every major sport? He just did Derek Jeter's most recent one. I'm sure he's not on the sidelines because of the money. He must be a diehard Redskins fan. Can't believe I've never heard that mentioned before though.

This is huge. I'm not an orthopedist, but I hope he can play.

Interested to see the offensive strategy with Cousins behind center.

I don't think the basic strategy will change. We will still look to establish the running game and take chunk plays off play action with the passing game. The way we go about applying this will be a lot different though - all the read option will go and we will see more of a traditional zone read running game thought I think we would still use the pistol as a base formation. You might see more 3 and 5 step drop back passing as well if Cousins is more comfortable with that than the pistol/shotgun based passing game RGIII excels at.

It would be interesting to see - but I hope we don't get the chance!

There certainly is doubt. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd bet he will play - but there is certainly doubt. I have no idea of the percentages but if there is any significant risk of further injury and longer term damage you sit him.

Why would the docs let him in last week RIGHT after the injury, but not a week after?

I don't think theres ANY chance Kirk starts.

Why would the docs let him in last week RIGHT after the injury, but not a week after?

I don't think theres ANY chance Kirk starts.

Becuse at point there was no MRi that showed he had a sprained ligament. Player comes off - stretches a bit, Docs do some stability tests, player says I'm good to go and back in he goes. Then when he goes back in it turns out he can't go and he has to come out this time for good. It happens all the time.

Orakpo went back in after he tore his pec found he couldn't function and them went on IR during the next week. By your logic he should have been starting the week after.

I really hope RGIiI is good to go but all reports are that there is significant doubt and he really is a game time decision.

Dr James Andrews is the redskins Team Doctor.

Andrews is a diehard fan. So he WILL start RG3.

Is this documented? If so, then naturally you have to wonder if Andrews' "professional opinion" would be influenced by his personal feelings about how the team should handle the situation.

It seems flawed to have a team doctor that is also a die hard fan of said team....

Is this documented? If so, then naturally you have to wonder if Andrews' "professional opinion" would be influenced by his personal feelings about how the team should handle the situation.

It seems flawed to have a team doctor that is also a die hard fan of said team....

Lighten up Francis......

If you really want to know who ok's RG3 for ths Sunday:

RudyWells-brooks.jpg

Who is he? I'll give you a hint.

The same man that repaired Scott Brunell in 2006, as seen in this picture here:

four16.JPG

And don't worry, Dan Snyder's right hand man, Pepper Rodgers:

e668111d509e1ef6569fe3c5114c3dbc.jpg

Oversees it all, so no foul ups occur.

Do you realize this man performs pretty much all the surgeries for the top guys in every major sport? He just did Derek Jeter's most recent one. I'm sure he's not on the sidelines because of the money. He must be a diehard Redskins fan. Can't believe I've never heard that mentioned before though.

Have heard of him being around the team or attending to Redskin players for a few years now.Andrews serves as the team doctor for Alabama and Auburn, as well as the Redskins.Could be wrong but it seems like his affiliation with Washington began during Spurriers' tenure. He did Adrian Petersons' ACL recently,does a lot of Tommy John surgeries for baseball players.

Archived