Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If the Skins go 6-10 or worse, Shanny SHOULD be on the chopping block

kleese

Apologies for starting two threads within 24 hours, but I see this a lot and I think it deserves it's own thread.

I think many fans are already bracing themselves for a bad year by tossing out the "rookie QB growing pains" excuse. Normally, I'd be OK with that, but there is one huge difference here.

For Shanny and Allen, RG3 is not the FIRST piece of the rebuild-- he is actually one of the last.

In Carolina, Cam Newton was the first piece of a total rebuild... New staff, clean house, holes everywhere, start with QB. Same can be said for the majority of QB's drafted in the top 5-10 any given year.

This year, Luck and Tannehill both fall into that category as well.. New coaches, new regimes, rosters in need of total rebuild... Starting with QB as first major piece.

The Redskins did not go that route. We messed up with McNabb and then made the conscious (and in my estimation, wise) decision to pass on the 2011 QB class after Newton.

We have spent two years now cleaning up a huge mess left by the previous regime. The roster rebuild is WELL underway.

The goal is obviously to build a SB champion. To that end, I'd say we have already selected the majority of the players to attain that goal. We still need work on the OL and DB's, but most of the rest of the team is in place-- hand selected players. Beyond that, I'd say they have officially scrapped all of the riff raff from the previous regime.

We SHOULD be farther along than most teams that start a rookie QB.

Now, there is no doubt that you must allow for a rookie QB to take his lumps regardless. You can't expect to be a contender or even a playoff team necessarily, but if this team goes 4-12 as some are predicting, I'd consider that a HORRIBLE sign.

Regardless of the circumstances if you go 4-12 your third year on the job, it's hard to feel good about that.

I am not into ultimatums. I am not saying we should automatically can the staff if they go 6-10 or worse.... I'd be willing to weigh the circumstances, etc... But it is hard for me to envision feeling good about where we are if we are toast by Halloween again.

My prediction is that we win between 7-9 games and yes, that is also my expectation--- and I do not beleive it is an unrealistic one. A staff in its third year with 80% or so of the roster they desire should manage to be competitive. If they aren't, something is wrong.

No one wants to put too much pressure on RG3 or ask too much of him this year--- I don't either. But in my opinion, there is enough around him where he should have more than just a fleeting moment or two. I want to see him be the reason we win some games--- maybe not against the Steelers or Ravens, but perhaps against some of the more average teams on the schedule.

The NFL doesn't operate the way it used to. The clock ticks faster now. I keep hearing people say we are 2-3 years away from being good... Well, if that is the case, Shanny won't be here to see it. 6-7 year rebuilding projects don't fly in the NFL anymore.

Ultimately, I do not view this season as much of a developmental one as others do. They need to do some winning.

Nope, we need at least a 5 year run of consistency. We were run into the ground, new schemes every year, no vision for the draft. He will make mistakes, all teams do. We are being competently managed now and need to show some patience and allow it to grow. (Mara screwing us hurt bad too)

Please save me from this nonsense.

Firing him after year 3 with a rookie QB is a Dan Snyder move.

Heaven help us if we have to go through this ever couple of years. Stay consistent and insist on building through the draft.

BTW if you think the skins will be good this year, you seriously need to re-evaluate your football acumen and remove your homer shades ;)

Seriously. It's going to be a rocky year. Trying and be a realist.

Nope, we need at least a 5 year run of consistency. We were run into the ground, new schemes every year, no vision for the draft. He will make mistakes, all teams do. We are being competently managed now and need to show some patience and allow it to grow. (Mara screwing us hurt bad too)

Depends what you mean. If you mean 5 years until we are a legit SB team- I can buy that. If you are saying 5 years before we go 9-7/wild card, then I completely disagree.

No, just no.

Give Shanahan and Griffin at least 3 years, especially since it supposedly takes 3 years to get comfortable with the system.

Same is true of our defensive system, when we got a lot of the pieces last year.

Need more continuity and more depth from subsequent drafts too. Plus, 36 million hampered our plans significantly most likely.

Please save me from this nonsense.

Firing him after year 3 with a rookie QB is a Dan Snyder move.

Heaven help us if we have to go through this ever couple of years. Stay consistent and insist on building through the draft.

Consistent only works if you are making consistent progress. I'm not sure you can sell me on the progress part if the Skins go 4-12.

Not all irrational reactions to a rebuilding team losing a preseason game should be a thread.

You obviously didn't read my other thread where I was critical of people reading too much into the Chicago game. My opinions her have nothing to do with anything that happened last night.

didn't read the op, but this is such a BS call that you should be ashamed. This is a rookie QB and a team finding it's last legs before it makes the big jump. I woll read this post eventually, but I'm callin virtual *****-slap for the "retarded" post.

Hail

Without the cap penalties I could see us in his 5th year contending on that level. With those penalties it will be a little bit more as Griff goes so goes the team. It's possible, but as long as we were looking like at least a perrinieal playoff contender by year 5 I'd be pleased.

If your really going to complain about this before the real season gets here please find yourself another team to root for. So sick of you people. You know so what cause we haven't one a damn superbowl or gotten to the playoffs we should jump ship. Yeah thats worked great for over a decade :beatdeadhorse: You can blame Mara and the NFL for Accepting Contracts that were okay then to slap us this year to say o well we made a mistake but were not going to admit to it so were going to punish you cause you didn't want to break the law with us with Collusion.

Finally with Shanahan and Allen we have a foundation in place and have something to build from. Did you forget that Shanahan walked into a mess of both a team and holes. He even said that it was going to be a FIVE YEAR Project to get things turned around. If you dealt with a decade of things then pick you Balls up swallow your pride and just be fan and know that were being build the proper way Finally. And stop crying. As others say if by year five and beyond were a playoff team then it was well worth the wait.

didn't read the op, but this is such a BS call that you should be ashamed. This is a rookie QB and a team finding it's last legs before it makes the big jump. I woll read this post eventually, but I'm callin virtual *****-slap for the "retarded" post.

Hail

Gotta love replies that start with "didn't read the op" :)

Which also means you didn't read the part where I said I would NOT automatically fire the staff based on our record; however, that a very bad year this season would be a red flag to me.

You obviously didn't read my other thread where I was critical of people reading too much into the Chicago game. My opinions her have nothing to do with anything that happened last night.

Then why did you make the post? Seems kinda pointless to me.

And what is magic about "year five?"

Seems odd to me that we'd go 6-10, 5-11, 4-12, 3-13, and then win the Super Bowl.

All I'm saying is that I think it is now reasonable to expect some on-field progress in the W/L column. Again, I'm on board with the "five years to being a title team" plan. I am not on board with the "five years before we see .500" plan.

---------- Post added August-19th-2012 at 10:09 PM ----------

Then why did you make the post? Seems kinda pointless to me.

Made the post because I've seen a lot of people saying they expect a 3-13/4-12 type of season and that they'd be OK with it as long as we made progress. My counter to that is I don't think we can consider 3-13/4-12 progress given the fact that we are now in year three of the process.

Absolutely NO to Shanny being on any kind of chopping block. We need to stay the course with him, and give him his 5 years at least. Anything else is more of the same. These things do not happen overnight, and now with the unethical, immoral, petty, and in my opinion illegal theft (just because the NFL pulled a Mafia style back door deal with the NFLPA signing off on it doesn't make it legal...it just makes it impossible to contest) of our salary cap space over the next two seasons it's going to be even harder to fill the gaps. We need time and patience. Hopefully, this year we make some more strides.

I think each Super Bowl win buys two losing seasons. Shanny gets four. Billick and gruden get two. Gibbs gets six

Funny thing is that I am OK with a losing season. I could see us making real progress and going 7-9 this year. Selling me on progress at 3-13 is going to be really hard.

This thread is one year too early.

And that's the best I can say to a surprising one from a poster I have a lot of time for.

Hail.

Then we simply disagree GHH. If you are telling me that 3-13 won't raise your eyebrows and be cause for major concern, then we simply disagree.

Archived