Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Trent Williams intends to become a better player and leader M.E.T.

aqq

Speaking for the first time since his four-game suspension for failing multiple drug tests last season, Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams said that he has learned from his mistakes and aims to become a better leader and player. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/trent-williams-intends-to-become-a-better-player-and-leader/2012/05/07/gIQAY2HC8T_blog.html

I hope I'm wrong about this but it doesnt seem like Trent Williams gets it. He doesnt need to be more of a leader because he is a Left Tackle. LT dont need to lead what he needs to do IMHO is make those lifestyle changes he says he doesnt need. He has to start taking his job seriously. Putting in more work and cut out the people in his life that encourage him to smoke weed.

Do u guys agree?

It would be great if he had an outstanding year at LT and we could trade him for a 1st or 2 2nd round picks. I don't THINK we have seen an end to his token days and that may be the same for Fred Davis. Williams has a huge contract and I don't think another team would trade for him because of what he did last year to get banned. We are off the hook with Davis this year if the substance abuse issue arises but we are stuck with Williams. I hope I am wrong about both but time will tell.

It would be great if he had an outstanding year at LT and we could trade him for a 1st or 2 2nd round picks. I don't THINK we have seen an end to his token days and that may be the same for Fred Davis. Williams has a huge contract and I don't think another team would trade for him because of what he did last year to get banned.

Huh?...None of that makes any sense.

If you're fortunate to find an "outstanding" LT, you don't trade him away.

And if you think other teams would NOT trade for him because of his drug ban last year then your first sentence is rendered moot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/trent-williams-intends-to-become-a-better-player-and-leader/2012/05/07/gIQAY2HC8T_blog.html

I hope I'm wrong about this but it doesnt seem like Trent Williams gets it. He doesnt need to be more of a leader because he is a Left Tackle. LT dont need to lead what he needs to do IMHO is make those lifestyle changes he says he doesnt need. He has to start taking his job seriously. Putting in more work and cut out the people in his life that encourage him to smoke weed.

Do u guys agree?

Not sure what you think he's not getting. He's taken responsibility for his mistake and wants to move on, becoming more responsible in the process. Sounds to me like he wants to do exactly what you want him to do.....

Huh?...None of that makes any sense.

If you're fortunate to find an "outstanding" LT, you don't trade him away.

And if you think other teams would NOT trade for him because of his drug ban last year then your first sentence is rendered moot.

Let me try to clear this up. TW has a great year this year, stays away from weed, THIS YEAR. I'd be nice after this year (2012) a team trade a 1st for him. In 2013 with that team he was caught again due to smoking weed. It's possible he stays away from it for a year but does it again in 2013 or 2014.

I THINK two issues stand in the way of a team doing this: 1) He got banned once. 2) He has a huge contract from the old CBA days and teams wouldn't want to absord he salary.

I hope this makes more sense. Just my thoughts. Disregard if you disagree or don't understand.:)

Why can't a left tackle be a leader?

The OP doesn't make much sense to me.

For one, i don't know how you got "he doesn't get it' out of that interview. He said all the right things, made the right overtures.

If he wants to be a leader, why not exactly?

and trading him would be pointless. I agree with Califan.. why trade a stud left tackle away?

Because he MIGHT get high again?

He MIGHT get in a car accident today.

He MIGHT slip in the bathtub..

There's a zillion things that MIGHT happen.

Of course, he might get it, and he might come back and be the dominant left tackle he is beginning to be.

Trading him away just creates a hole that didn't exist.

~Bang

The reason we didn't sign Fred Davis to a long term deal was because of the substance abuse issue. They franchised him for 1 year and may do so again next year to see if he stays away from the #$%A^.

Not making any excuses for Trent and Fred but i think both were victim of the lockout last year. They both thought it was ok to smoke weed since there were no rules put in place in the offseason. They Lockout is over...and all of a sudden they have to take a piss test...Of course they fail test #1. Also from what i heard 29 days later the NFL decides to randomly test both of them again with test #2 and of course they fail again. Weed stays in your system up to 30-35 days. I think its a honest mistake that wont happen again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/trent-williams-intends-to-become-a-better-player-and-leader/2012/05/07/gIQAY2HC8T_blog.html

Do u guys agree?

He's the Left Tackle. Typically LTs are the best athletes on the Oline and are scrutinized the most. Outside of Jamal Brown, TW will soon be the seasoned vet on that unit. So yeah he's right to assume the leadership role for that group. He also admitted to his bad decisions, and have publically said all the right things.. I'm not sure what else you want the man to say or do.....BTW: yeah please be more descriptive in your thread title: see rule 8.

It would be great if he had an outstanding year at LT and we could trade him for a 1st or 2 2nd round picks. I don't THINK we have seen an end to his token days and that may be the same for Fred Davis. Williams has a huge contract and I don't think another team would trade for him because of what he did last year to get banned. We are off the hook with Davis this year if the substance abuse issue arises but we are stuck with Williams. I hope I am wrong about both but time will tell.

This is the dumbest goddamn thing I've seen in weeks, and considering the whole Cousins thing, that's saying something.

You want our franchise left tackle to have a great season blocking for Robert Griffin III...and then you want to trade Trent Williams because of some irrational fear that he'll smoke weed again even if he makes it through the season without doing so? Because...um...wait, what possible reason is there for this other than dumbass, illogical fear that he'll stay clean for a year and then relapse? By the way, it doesn't matter if he smokes this year or in 10 years, if he gets caught again he's on suspension. So if anything, wouldn't that keep him on the straight and narrow for a long time?

Get the **** out of here with this kind of noise...

Trent Williams also said

Williams said it was “tough having to watch (football) from the couch,”

That's the part that the doomsdayers need to read, and then use whatever herbal remedy you prefer to chill out a bit. If he really did not like not playing, then he'll keep his nose clean and out of trouble.

And trading him is probably #2 on the list of bad ideas.

This is the dumbest goddamn thing I've seen in weeks, and considering the whole Cousins thing, that's saying something.

You want our franchise left tackle to have a great season blocking for Robert Griffin III...and then you want to trade Trent Williams because of some irrational fear that he'll smoke weed again even if he makes it through the season without doing so? Because...um...wait, what possible reason is there for this other than dumbass, illogical fear that he'll stay clean for a year and then relapse? By the way, it doesn't matter if he smokes this year or in 10 years, if he gets caught again he's on suspension. So if anything, wouldn't that keep him on the straight and narrow for a long time?

Your responses are sometimes arrogant and down right indecent, NLC1054. Maybe my posts don't make sense to some or all but I try to post my replies to ES people with some cooth.

Get the **** out of here with this kind of noise...

Trent was saying all the "right things" but the OP wasn't the only person a little uneasy about the lifestyle change comment. It personally reminded me of Donavan McNabb whenever he was asked about his mechanics or practice ethics when he just laugh it off and say "Nah, I don't need to change my mechanics/ practice ethics...."

Giving Trent the benifit of the doubt though, because I want him to succeed.

Archived