Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IGN.com: Xbox 720 Hitting Stores Holiday 2012

Pick6

Earlier this week, the web was set ablaze with new rumors regarding the next-generation Xbox, otherwise known as the Xbox 720 and allegedly codenamed ‘Loop.’ The original report suggested that the new system would be cheaper and smaller than the Xbox 360, be based on Windows 9 and sport ARM processing architecture.

Most importantly, the source alleged that the new console would make its debut at E3 next year.

Tech journalist Paul Thurrott claimed otherwise today, suggesting that Microsoft will instead use Consumer Electronics Show in January as the launching point for their next console, and that it will integrate extensively with Windows 8 and Windows Phone.

During an episode of Windows Weekly, Thurrott stated:

"What I'm hearing is the console is going to come out for holidays next year, meaning that they would almost have to announce this at CES, wouldn't they?”

He went on to claim that Microsoft is taking a note from Apple’s playbook. “They want this thing to integrate very tightly with Windows 8 and Windows Phone,” he said. “Which is a problem with the current Xbox.”

Given the nature of the source and the language used, we’d recommend taking these claims with a grain of salt.

All the same, should the next Xbox make its debut at CES, IGN will be on the ground conducting our annual coverage on IGN Tech.

None of this is 100% yet, but we are probably getting very close to the next gen of the Xbox and Playstation.

Edit: Sorry forgot to add link. http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/09/report-xbox-720-releasing-holiday-2012

I am still happy with my PS3, so hopefully Sony takes a while longer.

Did anyone see the biometric controllers that Sony has patented? They measure your sweat, heart beat, and other things. It would make gaming a lot more interesting. Imagine being a sniper, your heart starts beating and you miss the shot. I think it will be awesome. So many possibilities.

I am still happy with my PS3, so hopefully Sony takes a while longer.

Did anyone see the biometric controllers that Sony has patented? They measure your sweat, heart beat, and other things. It would make gaming a lot more interesting. Imagine being a sniper, your heart starts beating and you miss the shot. I think it will be awesome. So many possibilities.

I would just wear gloves, perfect shot everytime haha.

I find it very very hard to believe that the new Xbox will be cheaper. I hope that it is tho!!!

But i am very excited to see what they come out with

I assume it to mean cheaper at launch than the 360 was at launch. either way, there are no details or confirmation on this, so there's really not much to discuss at this point.

:ols:

That's what happens when you wait until 4-5 years after a console is first released to finally make a purchase.

Given the amount of games I haven't played in my collection, I won't need to buy a new console for at least a couple of years.

It wouldn't at all shock me if Microsoft goes further down the path of integrating Xbox with the rest of their suite of products and uses that as a selling point.

It is going to be interesting to see how the next generation of consoles do when for many the current generation is 'good enough'. There is going to need to be a hook of some sort to get people to move on, and I don't think a simple hardware update is going to be enough for most people.

Hmmmm, this makes things interesting. I was planning on buying the Wii U next year, but if the 720 comes out ( I can't believe they are actually going to call it that :doh: ) then I can wait another six or eight months.

Pick6, you got a link to where you got that from?

Sorry I just added it to the OP.

Given the amount of games I haven't played in my collection, I won't need to buy a new console for at least a couple of years.

It wouldn't at all shock me if Microsoft goes further down the path of integrating Xbox with the rest of their suite of products and uses that as a selling point.

It is going to be interesting to see how the next generation of consoles do when for many the current generation is 'good enough'. There is going to need to be a hook of some sort to get people to move on, and I don't think a simple hardware update is going to be enough for most people.

IDK man, comparing the graphics from a PC to what my xbox can do isn't even close. If they can make the 720 compete with a PC i would buy that.

I think people would buy it. Look at how many people go crazy over a new iPhone every year and the cost isn't much different. Plus, during the holidays, kids will get their parents to get it for them. Also, on the price, microsoft doesn't make money off sales of the console. All profits come from video game sales.

I suspect the RROD won't be a problem this time due to them trying to rush a known bad product out the door to beat Sony?

Right. :ols:

I would assume not since it cost them a couple billion to fix the last time. Unless in their cost benefit analysis they thought it was more profitable to rush out and fix later than to lose market share to Sony.

consoles will always be behind PCs graphically, otherwise they'd cost too much. The technology in consoles is usually a year or two old to save on costs. Personally, I prefer it that way. I don't need ultra hyper graphics. Gimme solid gameplay, story, and art direction and I'll take it over graphical power most any day. Save the expensive ultra-realistic capable hardware for the people who want to drop that money on a PC. Or I guess one of the big 3 console makers could try to do the opposite of Nintendo and make a really expensive console to compete with PCs for those who want the graphics but want the ease of use of a console. I'd only hope that only one of the console makers would go in that direction, though, rather than it becoming a market trend everyone begins to follow.

Archived