Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IGN.com: Xbox 720 Hitting Stores Holiday 2012

Pick6

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212626p1.html

Analysts have been weighing in on Microsoft's likely strategy for its next console, nicknamed Xbox 720. Speaking to IndustryGamers, experts from EEDAR, M2 Research, RW Baird and DFC Intelligence have been busy predicting the company's next move.

Speculation is growing concerning how Microsoft will handle advances in cloud-based gaming, as demonstrated by services like Gaikai and OnLive.

But the technology has a long way to go before it can be embraced wholeheartedly by major console players. And while Microsoft has already announced cloud saves for this generation of consoles, it is widely believed the firm is not ready to completely abandon disc and hard-drives.

click link for more

IDK man, comparing the graphics from a PC to what my xbox can do isn't even close. If they can make the 720 compete with a PC i would buy that.

The 720 will blow away computers for at least 2 years. Consoles are highly optimized to do one thing, play games. The OS is error free and smooth as butter. Directly optimized to run on 1 hardware platform. A PC won't touch the raw power for years after. People seem to forget the Xbox is almost 6 years old. Try getting battlefield 3, and running it on a 6 year old computer even with the settings all the way down.......it won't run. Developers (even ports of PCs/Battlefield) have just started complaining about the console performance mixed with the fact that a 360 only accepts DL DVD's (problematic now). Microsoft knows it needs the next Gen pretty soon. Just think, your 6 year old xbox graphics is competing with a newer PC (i bet) and the quality of your PC is better no doubt, but probably not as much as you think it is.

Eh mark me down a skeptical but will probably own one around launch. Graphics nowadays, for me, don't mean that much. PC will always be superior anyways. I'm hoping one of the major 3 console devs will take a leap of faith and try something new (still waiting on some sort of virtual reality console). Nintendo is the only one that really takes chances though. Oh well a new generation of gaming is always nice.

I was gonna ask why you'd want to do this, but then I realized you probably just don't want the hassle of changing discs to change games... which is why I love the USB loader I installed on my Wii :)

I don't really play games enough, other than Madden and COD but I always thought that it would be a good idea, with the world getting lazier and lazier.

I don't really play games enough, other than Madden and COD but I always thought that it would be a good idea, with the world getting lazier and lazier.

the problem with having a disc changer is that they're bulky. Installing the game onto an HDD is ideal for the user, but it would probably make piracy too easy so the console makers won't do that. I wouldn't be surprised to see more games moving to download only. I love owning a physical copy of the game, so that wouldn't be ideal to me. If they do start to move in that direction, they better lower the cost of games since there are fewer middle-men to pay.

Honestly, though, it's not getting up to change discs that's annoying to me, its having to bring a ton of games with me if I'm going somewhere. I love that I can just throw my Wii, some controllers, the cables, and my small USB HDD into a bag and I'm good to go. I've got a dozen or so games on that HDD that I don't have to pack and carry with. (oh, and I may have pirated a game that was released in Europe but not America)

For all the crap that PS3 got in the "early days" of the current gen console war, I think over the past couple of years it has proven to be just as good game-wise. Xbox Live is still overall a better online experience, but it seems like once PS3 made up for being what 18 months behind in the release, settled into making just as many "gold" standard games.

I think right now it just simply comes down to which franchises you prefer.

If I had more time I would considering owning both, but there is no justification at this point in my life.

Either way the Xbox 720 and PS4 are both systems that I look forward to seeing grow and mature a good amount before I decide to plunk down cash for either one.

The thing of why I got rid of my 360 and went with PS3 was 2 fold:

1) More of my friends has a PS3

2) The blu-ray player

Don't get me wrong, 360 was great, but it really is all about preference. With online gaming becoming more and more popular, it made sense for me to get a system that more of my friends use. Plus it doesn't hurt that PSN is free.

• 1 year later...

An Xbox That Bleeds Into Your Walls

The average size of TVs, like phones, seems bigger all the time. There are simple constraints to how massive a TV can be, though: it needs to fit inside of your cramped hovel. But, what if you turn your hovel into a screen? That's exactly what Microsoft's IllumiRoom does. And it's real — Microsoft Research has built a working proof-of-concept using a Kinect and a projector, turning an entire living room in a giant Xbox screen. The system "can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences."

Click on the link for more

An Xbox That Bleeds Into Your Walls

The average size of TVs, like phones, seems bigger all the time. There are simple constraints to how massive a TV can be, though: it needs to fit inside of your cramped hovel. But, what if you turn your hovel into a screen? That's exactly what Microsoft's IllumiRoom does. And it's real — Microsoft Research has built a working proof-of-concept using a Kinect and a projector, turning an entire living room in a giant Xbox screen. The system "can change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences."

Click on the link for more

I would not want that. That would give me a seizure.

Archived