Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo/AP: Top Republican Cantor exits budget talks

Larry

Link.

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Majority Leader Eric Cantor pulled out of talks with Vice President Joe Biden on a deficit reduction-debt ceiling deal, saying they had reached an impasse over Democratic demands for tax increases to be paired with spending cuts wanted by the GOP.

The Virginia Republican said in a statement that the Republican-dominated House simply won't support tax increases, and that he wouldn't participate in the budget meeting scheduled for Thursday. Cantor said that it's time for President Barack Obama to weigh in directly on the budget because Democrats insist on negotiating some tax increases.

Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, who is representing Senate Republicans in the talks, also dropped out. White House press secretary Jay Carney declared the talks "in abeyance" but said they had been successful in identifying areas of common ground.

It's a rather long article. I haven't finished reading it, myself.

Not surprising, the Republicans wants the US to default. If anyone thinks they're there to broker a deal is insane. Their position is bascially this. They know the Democrats won't give them 100% of what they want. So they're going to use that to blame the Democrats for why we defaulted. They Republicans themselves and their constituents have said many time that they refuse to compromise. The Republicans goal is to weaken the country. Anything that helps America will help Obama, and they don't want Obama to get credit for anything. They Republicans would allow a Nuclear Bomb to wipe out an American city just so they can get elected. They don't care about the American people, they only care about their particular party.

Politically, our country is finished. If the Republicans don't control all three branches, then they'll do any and everything to block whatever legislation the Democrats propose. And even threaten to use "2nd amendment remedies" if their Republican dictatorship isn't allowed to operate like the Right Wing Dictatorship they aspire for.

Not surprising, the Republicans wants the US to default. If anyone thinks they're there to broker a deal is insane. Their position is bascially this. They know the Democrats won't give them 100% of what they want. So they're going to use that blame the Democrats for why we defaulted. They Republicans themselves and their constituents have said many time that they refuse to compromise. The Republicans goal is to weaken the country. Anything that helps America will help Obama, and they don't want Obama to get credit for anything. They Republicans would allow a Nuclear Bomb to wipe out an American city just so they can get elected. They don't care about the American people, they only care about their particular party.

Politically, our country is finished. If the Republicans don't control all three branches, then they'll do any and everything to block whatever legislation the Democrats propose. And even threaten to use "2nd amendment remedies" if their Republican dictatorship isn't allowed to operate like the Right Wing Dictatorship they aspire for.

I wouldn't go that far... close, but not that far. I do think some Republicans would secretly relish the idea of another US financial collapse as long as they thought they could capitalize on it. To be fair, the Dems in 2006 basically played the same game watching things fall apart and going along with Bush's agenda, but not doing anything that would forestall the insanity for political gains. It's one of the reasons I hate the party system. There's just too many interested in the game and not the country.

Oh, I agree that what's going on is Grand Theater while Rome (potentially) burns.

But even I don't think the GOP wants the US to default. They're just using that as a negotiating tool.

They'd be happy if, come election season, if they could claim that they managed to force those evil spend-happy Democrats to cut some spending, while preventing those evil tax-happy Democrats from raising taxes.

They'd be happy if the debt ceiling gets raised, but if the Democrats have to vote unanimously in favor of raising it, while the GOP mostly votes against it. (Just like the Democrats did when W was in office.)

They wouldn't mind, either, if the increase is so small that they have to do it again, right before the election. That way they can all run TV ads saying that "the Democrats had to raise the debt ceiling
twice
." Or pull their usual tactic of claiming that every single procedural vote is a "vote", so that can say that "Congressman Lardbutt voted to raise the debt ceiling
76 times
."

----------

Now, that said, I can see the Dems making some political commercials out of this, too. I can see the commercials. "The Republicans made it vary clear that tax cuts for the top 3% are more important than reducing the deficit."

Both sides are playing games, and will do so in the future.

(My bet is that the Republicans will be better at it, because they've been better at it for decades.)

But this fellow :munchout: is gonna see a lot of action, no doubt.

The US won't default. This is the political brinkmanship BOTH parties play. They will forstall ANYTHING that they can make political capitol on. They know where the limits are, its just a question of who blinks first, which is usually the dems.

If he walks out can they dissolve the congress and undo the pensions until talks begin again before the season?

That man works Tue-Thurs and 8months a year. His ass should sit through any meeting he's supposed to attend and give counter arguments or barter better.

I gave up on them when they took off Oct 2007-Jan 2008 and autopilot to the cliffs edge was enabled while they went home.

Do we really expect the same people that caused this to SOMEHOW figure out they did it wrong and fix it?

During a campaign year?

The US won't default. This is the political brinkmanship BOTH parties play. They will forstall ANYTHING that they can make political capitol on. They know where the limits are, its just a question of who blinks first, which is usually the dems.

I agree with this post.

If he walks out can they dissolve the congress and undo the pensions until talks begin again before the season?

That man works Tue-Thurs and 8months a year. His ass should sit through any meeting he's supposed to attend and give counter arguments or barter better.

I gave up on them when they took off Oct 2007-Jan 2008 and autopilot to the cliffs edge was enabled while they went home.

Do we really expect the same people that caused this to SOMEHOW figure out they did it wrong and fix it?

During a campaign year?

I agree but how many votes did Obama vote "present" instead of taking a stance? Politicians are all about self preservation even to the detriment of the country.....sad and until that ideology is blown up and they ALL are held accountable, no changes will occur.

I guess this means we are closer to agreement on the debt ceiling?

I hate the political parties. Let the people decide

Actually.... no. We the people are enabling it because most Americans seem to be flat out against the debt ceiling raise.

ARGH!

Republicans need to trade a Constitutional Balanced Budget Amendment for the debt ceiling raise. I'm actually a bit afraid since GOP policies would plunge us into a depression... I hope they realize that too and that's why they end up compromising.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 07:57 PM ----------

Prosperity,

As long as Americans are against Obama (partially because of GOP media strategy; partially because the President always has to moderate to the center) this is going to happen.

Shorter Kyl: We won't even debate about how high to raise taxes; they are off the table!

Guess what GOP douches; you are going to raise taxes on Federal Employees...

thought this line was funny:

I wonder if guys like McConnell go home at night, kick back with a drink during a quiet moment and say to themselves, "I can't believe I live in a country where a guy in my position can basically claim 'it's opposite day' in public and not only suffer zero consequences, but have a bunch of pre-programmed voters ready and willing to actively support it. Ah, what the hell. I guess I'll do it again tomorrow."

And before the blame-redirection chorus emerges to defiantly point fingers at a bunch of other people, bear in mind that McConnell's position doesn't necessarily come with an ® or (D) attached. Feel free to relax.

Guest Spearfeather
Not surprising, the Republicans wants the US to default. If anyone thinks they're there to broker a deal is insane. Their position is bascially this. They know the Democrats won't give them 100% of what they want. So they're going to use that to blame the Democrats for why we defaulted. They Republicans themselves and their constituents have said many time that they refuse to compromise. The Republicans goal is to weaken the country. Anything that helps America will help Obama, and they don't want Obama to get credit for anything. They Republicans would allow a Nuclear Bomb to wipe out an American city just so they can get elected. They don't care about the American people, they only care about their particular party.

The irony and absurdity of these statements is .....hilarious.

They Republicans would allow a Nuclear Bomb to wipe out an American city just so they can get elected.... And even threaten to use "2nd amendment remedies" if their Republican dictatorship isn't allowed to operate like the Right Wing Dictatorship they aspire for.

You are an ignorant ass.

The Republicans have made it clear they do not want to help the econmy and the nation over all.

Looking at what they did on the state level put a damper on the numbers for May

They do not want to invest in nation or the people of the nation, they do not want to let the Bush tax cuts expire on the wealthy which is costing the nation money.

They have made clear their goal is to make Obama a one term president and they do not care how many Americans they have to hurt to reach that goal.

Archived