Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Leonard Hankerson could fit with the Redskins

Hitman21ST

Would Joyce and Galarraga having a book deal really cause a conflict of interests on the field?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would Joyce and Galarraga having a book deal really cause a conflict of interests on the field?

• Yes
    • No

First off, let me start with Shutdown Corner's assessment of him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-40-36-Leonard-Hankerson-WR-Mi?urn=nfl-319675&active_dimension=carousel_ept_sports_nfl_experts&ysp_frm_woah=1

and his stats while at Miami:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=236056

---------------------------------------

Now for the meat and potatoes.

There have already been plenty of threads and info on receivers in Free Agency (VJax, James Jones, Sidney Rice, etc) and the top receivers in the draft (AJ Green, Julio Jones), so I'm not trying to turn this thread into one of them.

If we end up not re-signing Santana Moss, we will be in a serious hole at the WR position. We arguably already are, so losing Moss would put us that much behind the curve.

Hankerson isn't a #1 coming out of college, but he could make a viable #2 option. Assuming we pick up one of the aforementioned receivers in Free Agency or the draft, we will have a #1 going into next year. That would put us with the new guy, Anthony Armstrong, Terrence Austin, and Malcolm Kelly (who can't seem to escape the injury bug). Hankerson is a bigger receiver (6'3, 205) who has very reliable hands. He struggled his first season or two, but put together one of the best seasons for a receiver at Miami (72 receptions, 1156 yards, 13 TD). He set the record for single season touchdowns at the U, beating out Michael Irvin, Santana Moss, and Andre Johnson. He caught a touchdown in six straight games this past season.

He has decent speed, but he's not that explosive. The Redskins, though, don't need a speedy receiver, we have at least two (AA and BB, for the few snaps he lines up at receiver). What we need is a receiver of Hankerson's measurables. A sure-handed big player who can go up and grab the ball, and be trusted to make the catch.

Different sources have him ranked all over the place, but from what I've seen of him and comparing him to other receivers out there, he'll probably go in the third or fourth round, but could possibly go mid second.

If he makes it past the second round (if we draft a receiver with our first rounder) or to us in the second (if we pick up a Free Agent WR) I wouldn't be too upset if we drafted him. He would go well as our #2, and at least in the Senior Bowl, showed that he does a little better with a third guy in the slot, which is where AA would go.

Looking at what Kyle did with Andre Johnson in Houston, with the right coaches in the right offense, Hankerson could very well turn into a difference maker, good for 60+ catches and 1000+ yards, for the foreseeable future.

After just having the AJ Green vs Julio Jones discussion in one of the other threads, the first thing I appreciate about this guy is that it looks like he's super consistent.

It looks like his worst game this year was 3 receptions for 36 yards and 1 TD against Pitt. The rest were at least admirable. I wouldn't mind getting the guy, as long as he's not going too high.

I'd say if he's there in the 3rd or 4th definitely take a chance on him.

After just having the AJ Green vs Julio Jones discussion in one of the other threads, the first thing I appreciate about this guy is that it looks like he's super consistent.

It looks like his worst game this year was 3 receptions for 36 yards and 1 TD against Pitt. The rest were at least admirable. I wouldn't mind getting the guy, as long as he's not going too high.

I'd say if he's there in the 3rd or 4th definitely take a chance on him.

If we don't trade into the 3rd or 4th, I might look into taking him in the second (maybe trading down to get him later in the second)

If we don't trade into the 3rd or 4th, I might look into taking him in the second (maybe trading down to get him later in the second)

Yeah, he's definitely a second round pick.

His hands are ginormous. Isn't blazing fast, but he's fast enough. He looks a lot bigger than his 6'1" 205 pound size would suggest.

I think he can be a good #1 in this league in the right situation.

Hankerson? The "U" days in DC are coming to an end

Maybe for the ones already on the team.

There are two Canes I'd take in this draft. Hankerson and Graig Cooper late in the draft.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 07:52 PM ----------

HurricaneSports.com and ESPN.com have him at 6'3"

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70228&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Screw all of these guys!

We got a playmaker right here in our OWN backyard, and he is a TERP who goes by the name of Torrey Smith.

He is tall, has speed to burn, has good hands, and is a playmaker capable of taking it to the house very often. Besides, he is an outstanding KR and PR.

Screw all of these guys!

We got a playmaker right here in our OWN backyard, and he is a TERP who goes by the name of Torrey Smith.

He is tall, has speed to burn, has good hands, and is a playmaker capable of taking it to the house very often. Besides, he is an outstanding KR and PR.

And he's most likely a first rounder.

Most of the mocks have him going in the early 2nd. :2cents:

Yeah, I know. But there's always some that go higher than expected it. And being that there are only 2 clear cut WRs better than Smith, don't be surprised when he goes first round.

You have teams late in the first round such as Chicago, Atlanta, and maybe even Pittsburgh that could go WR first round.

I'm pretty sure Hankerson and Smith will both go around each other in the second.

As far as Hankerson is concerned, he's an average athlete who is a pretty good route runner and seems like a smart player. However, as others have said, he has pretty inconsistent hands. Allows a lot of balls to reach his body. That's a scary trait for a WR.

He seems more like a complementary receiver, than a true #1 play maker.

He IS bigger than a 6'1" 205 lb.

He's 6'3" 205

I would take the measurements from the Senior Bowl over what Miami lists their players at. Colleges are notorious for adding on height/weight to prospects. ESPN gets their numbers from the colleges.

As far as Hankerson goes I haven't seen him play yet. I like what I've been reading but I'm not sure we have the luxury of spending a pick on a reciever. In addition to that I don't see how AA fits the slot at all. If anything we'll need to keep Moss or see if Austin is capable of it when we go to 3 WR sets. Playing the slot isn't as simple as being the third best WR on the team.

Split the difference ;)

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 11:14 PM ----------

As far as Hankerson goes I haven't seen him play yet. I like what I've been reading but I'm not sure we have the luxury of spending a pick on a reciever. In addition to that I don't see how AA fits the slot at all. If anything we'll need to keep Moss or see if Austin is capable of it when we go to 3 WR sets. Playing the slot isn't as simple as being the third best WR on the team.

A typical slot receiver is smaller and quicker, to exploit the matchups with linebackers and safeties. Anthony Armstrong fits that bill to a T. That's why Moss was so effective in the slot, he was able to beat the linebackers and safeties on his routes.

Archived