Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Skins' release Todd Collins?

BleedinBurgNGold

Todd Collins lead us to the playoffs a couple years back and we should always be thankful for that. But let's be real. Todd is what? 37? 38? He is down to his last couple seasons in the NFL and most of all.. The skins will owe him $2M this year. With the help we need on our O-Line particularly, would it be a ggood idea to release a reliable backup vet to make room on our roster and run with 3 young QBs? Or have we not seen enough from CB5 to warrant that just yet?

Hail

Todd Collins lead us to the playoffs a couple years back and we should always be thankful for that.

He also was statistically the best QB in our most recent preseason game, and has done nothing to lose the job to Brennan yet. And you ALWAYS have to have 1 veteran backup.

Todd Collins lead us to the playoffs a couple years back and we should always be thankful for that. But let's be real. Todd is what? 37? 38? He is down to his last couple seasons in the NFL and most of all.. The skins will owe him $2M this year. With the help we need on our O-Line particularly, would it be a ggood idea to release a reliable backup vet to make room on our roster and run with 3 young QBs? Or have we not seen enough from CB5 to warrant that just yet?

Hail

Oh I so hope they go easy on ya, Maybe tie ya to the goal post. Anyway I really think we need to keep the old vet around, we arent on the most solid ground with our Qb situation.

As of right now, based on what has been given to us, thus far, Collins looks to be the most capable backup, but of course that all could change should Zorn venture into giving Brennan the same opportunity (work behind starting OL).

yeah. Collins better look better after what? 15 years in the league? I guess the argument comes down to hopeful youth vs. experience

Colt Brennan isn't ready to face first team NFL defenses.

Meanwhile Collins has merely gone about his business in being efficient in operating the offense that has been installed.

Collins' stat line is what you expect for a backup quarterback playing against second and third team defenders.

Brennan in the view of most people I have read that see both at practice say has little chance of unseating Collins in 2009.

Brennan is a bit like Tony Romo sits to pee was 3-4 years ago. He doesn't have ideal size, but has good mobility and can make some plays on the run. He is better now at playing sandlot ball than in a disciplined attack.

Giving Brennan credit for Year 1 in 2008 that to me says if the team keeps the current system and Zorn remains the coach that perhaps Brennan would be ready in late 2010 or 2011 to play at this level.

And that's assuming that Jason Campbell washes out.

If Campbell blossoms and gets a long-term contract Brennan will be buried on the bench for most of the next 2-3 seasons until he is a free agent.

Trade him and a 4th rounder for Matt Flynn. Let Campbell walk and grab another Super Bowl the next year with Flynn.

SCP- who is this Flynn you speak of and who does he play for now? I have heard his name mentioned lots of times and would like to see him play. Do you think he would be better than anyone we currently have?

Seems most are ignoring the fact that my argument isn't about TC as a reliable intelligent QB. Its more about our needs. Do our OL needs outweigh keeping TC? Not whether or not TC is a reliable Backup.

BTW, I say no unless Brennan tears it up the next few

But you havnt been specific about how we would improve our OL with the release of Collins.

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

We have almost $5 in cap room. If we release Collins this year, with no cap in place as of yet for next year, we take his entire cap hit this year.

Unless I'm reading their spreadsheet wrong, Collins is making $2.5 million this year, and it would cost us $2.5 million to cut him. That's a net gain of 0. So releasing Collins would do nothing financially to improve our O-line.

http://www.thewarpath.net/WarpathRedskinsCap.htm

We have almost $5 in cap room. If we release Collins this year, with no cap in place as of yet for next year, we take his entire cap hit this year.

Unless I'm reading their spreadsheet wrong, Collins is making $2.5 million this year, and it would cost us $2.5 million to cut him. That's a net gain of 0. So releasing Collins would do nothing financially to improve our O-line.

Thank You. I did not understand how the cap situation worked. I looked at it the same way I looked at Jansens release. If there is no net gain from his release monetarily, its a moot point.

Thank You. I did not understand how the cap situation worked. I looked at it the same way I looked at Jansens release. If there is no net gain from his release monetarily, its a moot point.

Yeah, look under the "Dead Cap" tab at the bottom. Jansen is costing us $6 mil against the cap this year, and Branden Llyod is another $5 million. :doh:

Did Garcia ever get picked up or is he on the retired list? Sorry for the sidetrack but thats the only way I see Collins going anywhere we replace a vet with a vet, its a little late now though and like was mentioned the cap hit we would take makes its impossible.

Archived